Kniffer

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

What type of knife do you dive with?

Steel
47%
Titanium
44%
Neither. I use my teeth.
8%

Total votes: 36

Seth T.
Amphibian

Kniffer

Post by Seth T. »

Just a fun poll. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Titanium. But I still have my 1960's 12" US Divers "Sticker" for when I am diving with rough company. \:D/
Last edited by Aquanautchuck on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I really wanted to say the teeth.. because that's just funny.. but alas that would be a lie, so for posterity I told the truth..
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm surprised by the number of titanium user's out there. What's the advantage? Is it just that more manufacturers are making titanium knives now?

I'm thinking about getting some shears and doing away with the knife all together. Anybody else do that?

Jake
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

There's no choice for "both", so I can't vote. :crybaby:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Huh? My knives are made out of something? ... ](*,)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

The #1 reason I have one is that it does not rust. That's it.
Charles
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I get 6 SS knives for $4.99 at Fred Meyer. I think I threw one out last year from rust, but my spares should last me through 2010 provided I don't lose them.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I swithched to shears a long time ago. I still have a tiny "bc" knife that I keep with me but I cant remember ever needing it.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Titanium doesn't rust and holds a perfect edge until you're ready to use it... however, once you use it to cut something more than a little fishing line, I would resharpen it. It doesn't hold up as well as steel... but it doesn't lose it's edge from oxidation either which is why I like it.

Good thread! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Titanium is also stronger, lighter (half the weight of the same steel version), doesn't rust ever, and doesn't screw with the polarity when using a compass near your knife.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Stainless steel is non-magnetic. Not that you'd be cutting and following a compass heading anyway.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:Titanium is also stronger, lighter (half the weight of the same steel version), doesn't rust ever, and doesn't screw with the polarity when using a compass near your knife.
Stronger is relative. It's more brittle than steel too, if you try using it to pry something, steel may bend a bit, but the titanium will fracture. I generally don't have mine anywhere near my compass, if my knife is in my hand I'm probably not navigating much.

Seems like the real advantage is in the corrosion resistance. I use the same method as CaptJack, but I'm even cheaper, I bought some ginsu knives from Goodwill for $0.49 each. \:D/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Oooh 0.49 is a deal! I can't imagine paying 100x that much for a fancy titanium knife. My steak knives cut great and they are very compact once the tips are broken off. The only part that even starts to wear out is the sheath. I have never needed to pry anything UW.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

CaptnJack wrote:Stainless steel is non-magnetic. Not that you'd be cutting and following a compass heading anyway.
Actually, I happened across this my last dive at Camano Is State Park. We were navigating through a rather annoying kelp forest and I brought out my knife to clear the way after repeatedly getting my fins hooked. Compass in one hand, knife in the other. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ditch the buckles and use spring straps, no tangly. Stainless isn't magnetic anyway.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

It's better to break the kelp with your hands if you must anyway. Don't want to cut a hose or something...... [-X
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I find it much faster to just remove kelp from the offending body part with my hand. The last itme I used a knife was to attempt to cut a crab free from a gill net. He decided I didn't have his best interests in mind and so I had to leave him. Can't remember how many years it been before that...
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:It's better to break the kelp with your hands if you must anyway. Don't want to cut a hose or something...... [-X
Well, it was also partly that I reached back to remove a snag right as my knife popped out of the sheath! I'm not losing my $120 knife! (Again!) Thus I held it and had much less snags.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

$120????? Now I know why I have a ss knife. I've heard that having them leg strapped like that can cause problems in the kelp. Do you strap it to the inside or outside of your leg?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

$120??? Holy powerball that's insane.

I have a <$1 knife on my waist. I can reach it with both hands and its never snagged on anything. Its way to small (roughly 6" handle, 2" blade) to pry abalone, then again I don't harvest abalone anyway.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:$120????? Now I know why I have a ss knife. I've heard that having them leg strapped like that can cause problems in the kelp. Do you strap it to the inside or outside of your leg?
Yep, it is insane. It's UK's Blue Tang Titanium in case your wondering. I was strapping to to the outside, but seeing that I'm on my third knife, I think I'll start strapping it to the inside! #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Uhhh.... just so I understand you lost two $120 knives? Yikes! :smt119

Yeah, definately start strapping it to the inside. :pale:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:Uhhh.... just so I understand you lost two $120 knives? Yikes! :smt119
Yeah, definately start strapping it to the inside. :pale:
Well, the first one was an Ocean Master titanium knife (piece of crap).
The second one was a standard UK Blue Tang sharpened to a razor. (My favorite knife. Had it 5 years.)
Now I'm on my new Blue Tang Titanium.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

my brother introduced me to the titianium blade. never had to use it though...
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!