Epic Underwater Finds: What did you Discover today?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Epic Underwater Finds: What did you Discover today?

Post by Cetacea »

Have you found anything super interesting underwater recently? Guns? Bottles? Antique Wheels? How about Flint Lock Rifles that are from 1830s? Not sure if this link will work but you can check us out at @searchanddiscovery on YT (no need to subscribe, like, or even share....save your time and just get out and dive.) Stay warm, stay dry, and stay safe and above all..... don't let the "bio-chatter" distract you while finding treasure.

https://youtu.be/wl6JIHYPDRQ?si=I0OQYJyvdVPh65B2
60south
Pelagic

Re: Epic Underwater Finds: What did you Discover today?

Post by 60south »

That's pretty awesome, love the flintlocks. Not so sure I would dive in the Columbia...

We've found a ton of stuff in Port Townsend, some we're still trying to identify. Most of the earliest stuff comes from the 1880s, although we've seen a few bottles, bits and pieces from the 1860-70's. That's about as early as it gets here unless we get real lucky. Lots of junk from WWI.

And of course modern junk. Drones, phones, GoPro camera, two skateboards, two wallets, a computer, bicycle, toilets, all kinds of crazy stuff.

Be sure to take a look at the last picture as we're still trying to identify it.
I love anything that says Washington Territory, pre-statehood.
I love anything that says Washington Territory, pre-statehood.
puget_sound_soda.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
Gasoline sign, cleaned up real well. Hard to date but we think the 1950s or 60s. Ceramic on metal. Sold on ebay for $1200. :-)
Gasoline sign, cleaned up real well. Hard to date but we think the 1950s or 60s. Ceramic on metal. Sold on ebay for $1200. :-)
Chinese ginger jar, circa 1880's.
Chinese ginger jar, circa 1880's.
jar1.jpg (63.24 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
30-06 WWI-era live ammo in a stripper clip. We don't bring this stuff up anymore.
30-06 WWI-era live ammo in a stripper clip. We don't bring this stuff up anymore.
Head marks on the ammo, identifying the maker and year. St. Louis MO, 1918.
Head marks on the ammo, identifying the maker and year. St. Louis MO, 1918.
cartridge3.jpg (89.6 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
At first we thought this was a recent gun and we were going to take it to the police. A little clean-up and investigation shows it had been in the water for maybe 100 years.
At first we thought this was a recent gun and we were going to take it to the police. A little clean-up and investigation shows it had been in the water for maybe 100 years.
Browning FN model 1903 (dates from the early teens). Similar to the FN Model 1910 that killed Arch Duke Ferdinand and started WWI.
Browning FN model 1903 (dates from the early teens). Similar to the FN Model 1910 that killed Arch Duke Ferdinand and started WWI.
We're not sure what this is. It's about 4x4 inches, layered metal. Copper or maybe bronze. Local art? Old trade coinage? Got ideas?
We're not sure what this is. It's about 4x4 inches, layered metal. Copper or maybe bronze. Local art? Old trade coinage? Got ideas?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Scott! I didn't know the Tacoma Bottle King was on NWDC!

We dove together at Mukilteo a while back and recovered an anchor. I want to come down and dive the Columbia one of these days.

Jake
Cetacea wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:04 am Have you found anything super interesting underwater recently? Guns? Bottles? Antique Wheels? How about Flint Lock Rifles that are from 1830s? Not sure if this link will work but you can check us out at @searchanddiscovery on YT (no need to subscribe, like, or even share....save your time and just get out and dive.) Stay warm, stay dry, and stay safe and above all..... don't let the "bio-chatter" distract you while finding treasure.

https://youtu.be/wl6JIHYPDRQ?si=I0OQYJyvdVPh65B2
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

And then this from today in Port Hadlock. Not a flintlock (darn it) but a .22. Sheriff contacted.
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Post by Cetacea »

Wow. Great seeing others getting lucky underwater and finding cool stuff. I’ve been searching for the elusive WT bottle in Port T for 8 years. I have piles of cool WT bottles including the $3,000 L Bros soda but I’ve never found a bottle with the WT on it. You must have picked all of them up. If anyone wants to come and dive the Columbia with us (me) my boat is always fueled up and the compressor is pumping out the sweetest air fills. I’m always up for bringing the boat up North too.
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Post by Cetacea »

Here are our latest efforts to try and locate the missing Martin family from 65 years ago. It’s YouTube but this is 95% true and 5% over dramatized for clicks. Anyone want to come and help search?

https://youtu.be/OqTGibBlAB0?si=NOdbxIE6WkeBugI4
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Post by Cetacea »

I guess I have a thing for gun. Today's dive resulted in a nice little 22.....the cops were called.
Attachments
Another Columbia river gun find..
Another Columbia river gun find..
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Post by Cetacea »

Here is your motivational video to get you back into the water if the cold weather has you down.

https://youtu.be/kQgHR0MC44M?si=imG6aNgCfTWA6FhP
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Cetacea wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:32 pm Here is your motivational video to get you back into the water if the cold weather has you down.

https://youtu.be/kQgHR0MC44M?si=imG6aNgCfTWA6FhP
Very cool vid, thank you!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

224429_1865841365381_221608_n.jpg
i found Blaize
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen