New to PDX, looking for local buddies

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
freneticmango
Getting To Know Folks

New to PDX, looking for local buddies

Post by freneticmango »

Hi all, I am new to the PNW, specifically PDX.

- rescue and scientific diving (inactive)
- 50 ish dives
- most of my diving experience has been in SoCal, all year round
- no dry suit at the moment! but willing to be a bit chilly if necessary
- interested in most any kind of dive! but especially critter focused dives
- ok with boat or beach entry, surface swimming, etc. comfortable in most non-technical situations
- experience in and enjoy kelp forest environments
- flexible schedule!
- no car, a carpooling buddy would be greatly appreciated. happy to help with gas etc

Just looking to see who and what is out here in the PNW! Thanks!
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

Re: New to PDX, looking for local buddies

Post by TBRenegade »

Welcome aboard. I live in Seattle currently but grew up a bit north of you in Vancouver. Can't help as a buddy, but there are a few local sites I've been aware of/interested in. Probably worthwhile to call the shops in the area to see if they have shop dives and go from there.

-Moulton Falls
Natural freshwater faultline(?) with a nice accessible dive. Haven't personally been but reports in the forums mention a few good experiences. I remember visiting in my childhood and always being jealous of the people diving!

-Astoria
I've been researching a roadtrip to the area and it seems like Astoria is central to a lot of great coastal diving. Call the shop and see what they say.

Sorry I can't be a more direct buddy, next time I'm passing through I'll drop a DM.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

DOH if you could have moved just a wee bit further North (Seattle-ish). A lot more options up here I am afraid. Most of the best diving near you is actually up here in the Washington Hood Canal area. Not having wheels certainly creates a challenge. Good luck and hope to see you meet up with some options
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
freneticmango
Getting To Know Folks

Post by freneticmango »

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like my best bet might be to rent a car and head north for a trip. Happy to do that whenever schedules align! Since I don't have a dry suit I am imagining that warmer months will be more friendly. Thanks again!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

naw, at 60 feet our water temp fluctuates about 3-4 degrees, the top layer may be warmer though. 60 feet looking at about 45-48 degrees F. A 7mm would get you going though.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**