Sunrise 8-22-07

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
TCarter
Avid Diver

Sunrise 8-22-07

Post by TCarter »

Had a good dive at Sunrise yesterday on the evening slack. Nice solid hour of zero current. Not bad viz, maybe 15-20 feet with some small blobs of crud in the water. Saw the usual proliferation of Sunrise life - gpo and red octo's, wolfies, several sturgeon poachers, and lots of ratfish. Kinda looked like a ratfish convention down there.

Unfortunately, we also saw a proliferation of broken off fishing gear on the bottom (there's a downrigger ball lying at about 40' if anyone wants it), and when we surfaced there was a boat trolling right through the place. I was under the impression that area is supposed to be a no-fishing zone. Does anyone know if that's a fact?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I was under that assumption also. I was told a long time ago that it was a marine preserve.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Shawn
Just Settling In

Post by Shawn »

It's off limits to fishing of any variety other than trolling for salmon. The laws protect the species most likely to actually stay in the area. Migrating King and Coho salmon are just passing through hence the allowance.

Plus... It says right on the sign you walked by to get to the dive that only salmon trolling is allowed.

It's a dual purpose dive site for me. I call that dive my home dive and I catch alot of salmon trolling off of the wall and just south of the grey house.

Shawn
Shawn
Just Settling In

Post by Shawn »

Hey Ron you want to do Sunrise sometime in the PM next week? We can hit the Tides afterwards and catch up on things.

Shawn
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I would like nothing more than to do that, Shawn! Off at 2-3 on Monday and Thursday.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I love Sunrise, it's my favorite local dive site. Glad to hear you had a good dive there. About the poachers, yep, seems like it's all too common there. A few of us saw a couple divers harvesting scallops in a ridiculously harmful way. We should've dumped their weights. :angryfire:
TCarter
Avid Diver

Post by TCarter »

Shawn wrote:
Plus... It says right on the sign you walked by to get to the dive that only salmon trolling is allowed.
Actually I got to the site via the waterfront house area down the beach, but thanks for the info.

Yep Calvin, Sunrise is my absolute favorite shore dive in the Sound, though I don't hit it very often. Sorry to hear about the divers taking (poaching?) scallops. All the scallops down there give me the impression of jewelry, decorating the colorful rocks.
Shawn
Just Settling In

Post by Shawn »

Calvin did you try calling the WDFW poaching hotline when you left the water? Would be nice to see them get busted for their "efforts."

Shawn
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

We didn't get too good of a look at their boat, because we didn't think they were doing anything wrong till we saw them underwater. When we got back up, they were gone. :angryfire:
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

TCarter wrote:Actually I got to the site via the waterfront house area down the beach, but thanks for the info.
Just curious...are you referring to the houses right in front of the dive site? If so, do you own one of those houses? Or does a friend or family member?