Another Mid-week charter

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Another Mid-week charter

Post by Pinkpadigal »

It was so fun yesterday so I looked at the tides and let's do it again!!!

Dive the Tacoma Narrows and Sunrise this time. We are looking at Wednesday, September 19th, in the afternoon.

Any takers?
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'm in! :supz:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Boy you really know how to get to a guy... Need to check my calendar, but most likely I'm in. Need to stop being a Sunrise virgin...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

You'll love it, Tom. Sunrise is a great dive!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmmm..... Mrs. Sounder IS leaving on business that day... :supz:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

And now, so are you......The business of diving! :partyman: :partyman:
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

For now, let's just see how things play out...
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

September is the best month of the year to dive, in my opinion. Vis should be good. Weather should be good. Regardless, this is going to be a fun day. Sunrise is one of my favorites but with the bridge too...Puget Sound diving at its best.

Hmmm...here is who is in so far.

Me (of course)
Eric
Neil
Cardiver
TomNic
Sounder (if Mrs Sounder lets him go)

My sister isn't going because she is back in school. Scott may be in, but I haven't talked to him yet. Cardiver...is Dennis in? How about Mary? I will check with Joe but I think he is back at work too.

We can have up to 14 on the boat. Anyone else want to join us???
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Okay...just talked to Rick. For us to do Sunrise, we will need to leave at 9am. That should make it a lot easier for TomNic. Is everyone ok with that?
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Any way we could do Sunrise and DIW instead of the Narrows? Or is it open for a vote or suggestions?
Last edited by Sounder on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Okay...just talked to Rick. For us to do Sunrise, we will need to leave at 9am. That should make it a lot easier for TomNic. Is everyone ok with that?
I'm good with that, and it definitely helps my schedule.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Fine by me!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Seth T.
Amphibian

Re: Another Mid-week charter

Post by Seth T. »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Dive the Tacoma Narrows and Sunrise this time. We are looking at Wednesday, September 19th, in the afternoon.
Any takers?
I can dig it. Count me in! :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Okay, we have 10 people so far. This is going to be a fun trip!

Sounder...we are going to do the bridge. Everyone wants to dive the bridge. :supz:
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

any idea on a return time, Amy? I might be able to do this without taking the day off.
I love this trend toward weekday dives! They seem to be filling up as soon as you announce them, Amy.
Keep it up!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Okay, we have 10 people so far. This is going to be a fun trip!

Sounder...we are going to do the bridge. Everyone wants to dive the bridge. :supz:
Well then I want to see more than a blur of sand, mud, and buffalo sculpins this time.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I'm up for a Narrows dive...
Let the good times roll.
Count Tim and I in...
K
"Let's go diving!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Oh Man! #-o
Looks like I'm Late on this one too!
If you have room I will be a definate "yes!"
I missed out on the last one, I would like to do this one if you have room.
How much money? I'll Pay you right away!

Keith. :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Keith...there is room for you! No worries =D>

This is amazing. We filled the boat in less than 24 hours!

Everyone...go to the Bandito website and you can pay there. Cost is $70. Let me know when you pay, so I can keep track and make sure everyone is confirmed with Rick. If you want to pay with cash on board, that is OK but let me know that is your plan. I am out of the shop today but call or PM me by Monday and let me know how you would like to pay.

We will leave A dock at 9am on Wednesday, Sept 19, so plan on getting there about 830amish. We will do Sunrise first, then the Narrows. We should be back about 230p.

With Bassman, Tim and ScubaK, this boat is full. If for some reason you cannot go, let me know ASAP so I can open space for anyone else.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Whoo Hoo! :wav:
Thanks Amy!!!!!!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Pinkpadigal wrote:It was so fun yesterday so I looked at the tides and let's do it again!!!

Dive the Tacoma Narrows and Sunrise this time. We are looking at Wednesday, September 19th, in the afternoon.

Any takers?
Day late and a dollar short again, (sigh). But sorry, I won't pay a charter to do DIW, it's too easily accessible from shore, and mid-week there are no surface crowds to fight. Sunrise, yes, but not DIW.

Anybody up for doing DIW from shore, or even Sunrise? Or both (but not on the same day).

Out of curiosity, is the Narrows a drift dive? Deep (120fsw+) techy only?
Last edited by Sea of Green on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sea of Green wrote:
Pinkpadigal wrote:It was so fun yesterday so I looked at the tides and let's do it again!!!

Any takers?
Price:
Payment method:
Due date:

Is the Narrows a drift dive? Deep (120fsw+) techy only?
I beleive it is usually a drift dive simply because currents rip through there. Even on the low exchange we went on it sure felt like we were moving pretty good! Current died and everything went vertical near the end of the dive... it would have been cool if that was timed better and happend in the middle or begining! I would have liked to explore some more, and it simply wasn't possible with the current. I wouldn't call it "techy", but I also wouldn't call it a beginner dive, though I know beginners that have done it. Depending on how you do it it's at least an intermediate dive, IMO, and I know folks who would call it advanced (including Banditos website!)

We were dropped off in about 30fsw, then you can head downslope from there as deep as your good sense and certification lets you. Most of the cool stuff is less than 80fsw, at least from what I've been told. I still haven't gotten much response to my posting requesting info / experiences from those who have dove the narrows often in the past. STill hoping....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, I'd call the Narrows an advanced recreational dive. Even with the mild current that day at times it was uncomfortable. The ability to trust my training, experience, gear, and buddy were key to the enjoyment of this dive. This is not one I'd do with just anyone.

The hardest part is staying with your buddy. While Tom and I didn't have a problem, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a higher incidence of buddy seperation drift-diving the narrows when compared to other sites. I suppose this applies to drift-diving at all (and any other form of diving for that matter) but the purposeful thought of "I need to make triple-sure to be a good buddy and stay close to Tom" went through my mind more than once while in the Narrows when typically my buddy skills happen more naturally.

I think we should re-name the Tacoma Narrows the Buffalo Sculpin Narrows.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:I think we should re-name the Tacoma Narrows the Buffalo Sculpin Narrows.
Man, you need to come dive Titlow with me...

Compared to Titlow I hardly noticed Buffalo's at the Narrows...

At Titlow you didn't want to touch anything for fear you'd get speared by a Buffalo Sculpin! The place was lousy with them. Unlike the Narrows there were also other cool fish at Titlow!

They are kind of cool looking with their weird color patterns and faces only a mother could love, but after about 200 of them....
Navigator
Just Settling In

Post by Navigator »

We will leave A dock at 9am on Wednesday, Sept 19, so plan on getting there about 830amish. We will do Sunrise first, then the Narrows. We should be back about 230p.
Did anyone check tides?
9am. - noon flood tide around 3 knots. Tacoma Nerrows slack gonna be around 1 p.m. and then 0.9 knots ebb :book:

Dennis
:salute:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.