Autobiographies

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Smoke Diver
Just Settling In

Everett Diver (available weekday's/evening's)

Post by Smoke Diver »

Hello,

My name is Tony, 40 from Everett. OW certified in '83. I dove frequently the first several years. While in the Navy I was fortunate enough to get a free ride (sorta) to various dive location's thoughout the Western Pacific Ocean/Indian Ocean. Life happened (a.k.a. my wife & our 3 kid's) and I put my stuff away. Well, I'M BAAAAAAAAACK! I finally told myself enough is enough so I re-outfitted myself, refreshed my skills, and have been anxiously awaiting any opportunity to go down. My work schedule permits me to have many weekdays/nights open.

Anyone interested in doing a dive please feel free to drop a note or call (425) 330-8950. Enjoy your dives and most of all...MAKE IT SAFE!
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

My name is Matt, and I'm a 36 year old video game designer & writer living in Kirkland. (I originally hail from the Los Angeles area, but got to like it up here and decided to invade.) Like many other people in this thread I am kicking myself for not getting certified sooner.

As of this writing I have been OW certified for about 7 months and have 20 dives. The last 6 were in Mexico but everything else was Puget Sound shore dives. I'm glad I got to learn here where it's more challenging.

Other locals that I have dived with include Lynne, Peter, Kirk, Calvin, and Penelope. I've met Bob but not had the chance to dive with him. I'm sure I'll meet more of you soon.

My other hobbies include aquariums, photography, shooting, video games--but not nearly as much as you might assume--non-video games, fiddling with my web server, and collecting pinball machines. I've got one dog, two ferrets, and two aquariums. (I also have two housemates, who are actually old friends that I'm renting rooms to.)

I'm in the Puget Sound Aquarium Society, and I just joined the Moss Bay Dive Club. Other places you might find me online are ScubaBoard, DPreview, Nikonians, or Fark.

My turn-ons are--oops, nevermind, wrong forum!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Matt S. wrote:

My turn-ons are--oops, nevermind, wrong forum!
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3::laughing3: =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
wa_divergal
Frequent Bubbler

Introduction

Post by wa_divergal »

Hi, I've been certified since 1995, but haven't been diving for a few years. Mostly due to small children, but any how... Got a refresher in Kauai last December and ready to re-discover the beauty of the local dive haunts.

I live North of Seattle, in Lynnwood, and hoping to hit the Diver's fair this Saturday, re-provision and try to talk someone to go diving with me Sunday morning. Edmonds Underwater Park is always a good check-out site!

Tanks! Janette
2.5 turbo hyped
Just Settling In

Post by 2.5 turbo hyped »

Hi my name is Sean.

Just certified August 25, 26.

I dive wet until I find the ultimate dry suit in my price range.

I am 32.

I was a hermit for about the last year and a half and am finally coming out of my shell (depression is a tough cookie to crack).

Looking to make some new friends and get in the water as much as I can.

Did I mention I am single \:D/

Party on!!

Sean
Always looking for dive buddies.

If its 5 feet of water I will dive it.

http://flickr.com/photos/turbo_hyped/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

OK, I'm new, so I'll make it my turn now. My name's Scott Adams. I'm a 3rd generation Seattle native, but have lived and traveled a lot in Asia. (Lived for a year in Seoul, S. Korea, been all over Thailand on 4 different trips, Cambodia, and Hong Kong.)

When I was 17, in 1988, while on vacation with my family, I got to play in a pool at our condo on Maui with some scuba gear, and thought it was just about the coolest thing ever. I'd just taken a VERY intense marine science class at my high school, and couldn't wait to get underwater in Puget Sound and see all the stuff I'd learned about in person.

Life, however, has a way of getting in the way of childhood dreams, and new dreams take over and become your focus. I am (still) a professional saxophone player, and my horn has taken me all around the world. Diving sort of got pushed to the back of my brain while I pursued a career as a performer.

2 years ago, my long term relationship imploded and then exploded after 11 years in one of the worst breakups I've ever even heard about. The ensuing depression (I know what you're talking about, Sean) crippled me for almost 2 years. A friend's wife decided I was her new project, and signed us both up for dive classes at UWS Seattle a year ago.

As soon as I was in the pool with the gear on, I flashed back to when I was 17, and the hook was set. My first OW dives were at Mukilteo, which still has a special place in my heart. I signed up for my AOW class as soon as I was finished with OW, and at Diver's Fair last year I bought my BC, reg/octo/computer setup and bankrupted myself. Dove some last fall and winter, but I was too far in debt (and still depressed) to pursue it much further.

FINALLY, now, I have a good job with Group Health, my debt is nearly gone, I have a (albeit used) drysuit (still need tanks, though-want steel bad, but will be patient and rent or borrow), and am READY to get serious about this addiction. (You ever notice how no one that dives ever refers to it as a sport? It's always a passion, an addiction, an obsession.) Still need a car, but that's a minor detail.

My goal is to become a DM or an instructor so I can support my other habit, travel. I've been to a lot of places in Asia, but never as a diver. That needs to CHANGE! I'm thinking of planning a trip for November-December '08 to SE Asia. Or I could wait and shoot for Micronesia. Life has all sorts of possibilities available when you lift your head up and look around.

I'm still trying to find a good picture....will post one soon
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

scottsax wrote:blah blah blah...lots of words
Was that too much information? How do I tell them that as a result of the unfreezing process I have no inner monologue? Did I just say that out loud?

:pale:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

scottsax wrote:
scottsax wrote:blah blah blah...lots of words
Was that too much information? How do I tell them that as a result of the unfreezing process I have no inner monologue? Did I just say that out loud?

:pale:
Thanks for sharing... I appreciate the bios... I think it's good to know some of folk's stories... and coming from me, how in the world could I accuse someone of too much information or lots of words?!? :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Well let's see.. My name is Chris, I'm from Steilacoom, WA and am currently an Open Water Diver. I was Certified in Phuket, Thailand (March 2007) on one of my vacations and was immeadiately hooked. After my initial 4 OWD dives I went on a 2 day 1 night Liveaboard in Thailand at the Similan Islands. I did 7 dives putting me down for 11 dives total. I didn't dive again until I went home in June/July of this year. That's when I was introduced to the NWDC by BASSMAN, who's wife is a friend of my moms. My first cold water dive was at Titlow with BASSMAN, Mouse and some other friendly character (who liked picking up starfish). After that I went to the NWDC Meet at Hood Canal and went diving three or four more times. Including a wild night dive where I got to see a shark headed right for us in which BASSMAN hit it in the head with his light. Anyways, I am currently back in Afghanistan where I work for the ARMY. My next goal is to become Advanced Open Water certified while I am diving in the Red Sea in Egypt. After that I plan on getting my Rescue Diver certification when I goto Australia. Waaaaahooo... any questions? :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Chris, and thanks for telling a bit of your story! Looking forward to stories of your diving, and to hitting the water when you get back! (I live in Lakewood and dive with Bassman all the time so it should work out!)

-Tom Nic
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Tom Nic wrote:Welcome Chris, and thanks for telling a bit of your story! Looking forward to stories of your diving, and to hitting the water when you get back! (I live in Lakewood and dive with Bassman all the time so it should work out!)

-Tom Nic
Hey, we will. I was the blonde guy (if you remember) that dove with you and Keith at Mike's Beach. Then you told us of leaving off to the Red Sea.. sweet deal! :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Yeah, I remember... and thought it was you! ..wish I could blame excess nitrogen in the system, but alas it is simply geezerhood :toimonster:
ReefBecca
Getting To Know Folks

Post by ReefBecca »

Hello my name's Rebecca or Becca. I've been diving for +1 year. My ex-boyfriend took me on several vacations to apparently great scuba spots, but it wasn't until Hawaii that I finally let him sign me up for class. I dove with him several times afterward; but then lost interest in it. Since I've been single, I feel like trying diving again (but maybe with a patient partner). The problem is that I don't have a lot of time or anyone to go with. I guess I'm just on this site to hang out and chat.

Becca
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, you've come to the right place Becca. Lots of patient folks here who enjoy helping new divers become better and safer. There are also several women here who enjoy diving with new divers if that'd feel more comfortable for you too!

We're glad you found us! When is your next trip north?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

ReefBecca wrote:Hello my name's Rebecca or Becca. I've been diving for +1 year. My ex-boyfriend took me on several vacations to apparently great scuba spots, but it wasn't until Hawaii that I finally let him sign me up for class. I dove with him several times afterward; but then lost interest in it. Since I've been single, I feel like trying diving again (but maybe with a patient partner). The problem is that I don't have a lot of time or anyone to go with. I guess I'm just on this site to hang out and chat.

Becca
You do have two days a week off work, don't you? That's when you need to go diving. Everything else is secondary.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

ReefBecca wrote:Hello my name's Rebecca or Becca. I've been diving for +1 year. My ex-boyfriend took me on several vacations to apparently great scuba spots, but it wasn't until Hawaii that I finally let him sign me up for class. I dove with him several times afterward; but then lost interest in it. Since I've been single, I feel like trying diving again (but maybe with a patient partner). The problem is that I don't have a lot of time or anyone to go with. I guess I'm just on this site to hang out and chat.

Becca
Hi Becca!

I am more than happy to dive with new divers....so many people were kind enough to dive with me when I first got started that I'm happy to pay it forward. Feel free to pm me if you want to meet somewhere between here and there. :)

Penelope
ReefBecca
Getting To Know Folks

Post by ReefBecca »

Thanks for the help and offers and making me feel welcome. I'll definately speak up when I'm ready.
Don't knock it til you dive it.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Chris wrote: I was Certified in Phuket, Thailand (March 2007)...
So, um, how do you pronounce "Phuket"? [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:
Chris wrote: I was Certified in Phuket, Thailand (March 2007)...
So, um, how do you pronounce "Phuket"? [-X
:la: Heh...

pooh-ket (sorry to disappoint)

But there's always Koh Phi-Phi (pronounced pee pee)

Thailand's one of my favorite places in the whole world. I've been from Samui in the Gulf of Thailand all the way to Pai in the northern mountains. Just beautiful.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote: pooh-ket (sorry to disappoint)
Oh bummer. Well, it's still funny for us naïve Americans! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:Oh bummer. Well, it's still funny for us naïve Americans!
Yeah, well, after several bottles of Chang Beer (7% + alc./vol) in the hot, humid air, everybody starts saying it the other way. :partyman:

Sawadee!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
rjarnold
Submariner

Hm, guess I'm here for good.

Post by rjarnold »

My name is Rachel, and I've been certified for...almost a year. I was born to dive...until I tried diving. Naturally, as an aspiring young marine biologist, I wanted to dive as soon as possible. In Wisconsin, where I grew up, I decided to get in on a 'deal' for students - late October, freezing water = cheap OW certification. Nothing scared me, and the pool stuff was a breeze. It wasn't until entering the frigid water in a wetsuit that things turned out differently. Unbeknown to me, when one takes off a mask and the cold water hits one's face, one can inadvertently inhale water in through the nose. Needless to say, I was convinced there was something wrong with my regulator. Three times I did this (the third time I felt that I was forced to go back down, shaking), always inhaling water, always panicking and heading for the surface. I came back that summer, when the water was warmer, but couldn't even get in the water as I started shaking just thinking about it. This was a new feeling for me, and I hated it, so I decided to never think about diving again.

Jump ahead to grad school at the UW. I study Lophiiformes (and more specifically, frogfishes). It becomes apparent that I'm going to need my open water certification to dive Australia for my research. My partner, Greg, who already had his certification when I first met him (a point of contention, me being the marine biologist and him being the therapist), convinced me to try one more time. I refused to do OW here, thinking of the terribly cold water. In fact, I had no intention of ever diving here. So I went to Florida and paid for one of those 'dive in 3 days' things. Well, I paid attention the first time I tried, so nothing was new - but I do have to say the first class I had was more comprehensive (e.g. personal stories) since it wasn't sped up, and it was interesting seeing the differences between the two classes (first was NAUI the second was SSI, though the main differences were more differences between instructors rather than organizations). Anyways, it was insanely priced, not as well-taught as it should have been for the money, but, still shaking at times, I mastered my fears and got my OW card.

Of course, this didn't prepare me for diving the pacific northwest, which I learned I had to do because one of the places I needed to dive required 30 dives. Since this story is getting obnoxiously long, I'll try to wrap it up: it took me a long time to be able to clear my mask here (I would rather have dove with my mask 1/2 filled with water than to clear it), as well as a long time to be comfortable with other basic skills, and some I'm really still not that comfortable with (I really have to muster up some nerve to take that reg out of my mouth to practice sharing air). I haven't gone deep yet (not really keen on it either), but I think I'm Bob's latest project. My comfortableness in the water has been progressing at a much faster rate while in Bob's AOW class, and I'm really happy with it. I finish it this weekend!
And then I shall conquer the world, muahhahaha.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Rachel,

If you're interested, I think you'd really get into conducting REEF surveys on your dives up here. It's fun and it really adds to the adventure of diving in the Pacific NW. There's a basic list of about 40 fish and 40 inverts you'd need to learn how to ID first, but you'd do it in a snap, I'm sure!

Also, I'm always looking for folks who are interested in helping out with some other surveys we do - for UW's Hood Canal Low Dissolved Oxygen project. If you know what you're looking at down there, I can use you!

So, just some things to possibly look forward to (if they sound like your cup o' tea) after you get comfortable in the water and feel you've got the diving/safety thing mastered.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Thanks Janna - I actually was already interested in participating, just hadn't gotten around to asking yet! :) Learning all the fish probably won't be hard, hopefully I know most of them already (even if my undergraduate training was only on Gulf of Mexico fishes :P). I know next to nothing about inverts, but being a taxonomist-in-training, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up the details that decipher one species from the next. Let me know when and hopefully I'll be able to participate! :)
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Welcome Loretta to our "Fruit and Nut Bowl" :wav: :wav:

You have a little longer drive that me from Portland. But the Sound is so worth it. And a lot better than the water troughs you have east of the mountain. \:D/
Charles