Greetings and salutations!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Greetings and salutations!

Post by scottsax »

I got my OW and AOW certs last summer from UWS in Seattle, then ran into a bit of financial trouble and had to put diving on the back burner for about 10 months. But I'm back now and ready to go! My usual buddy is a school teacher, and her life's gonna be very very busy starting next week.

I bought a drysuit about a month ago and dove it once since then. That's just not enough! I'm hoping to find folks to dive with at least once a week through the winter, continue my education with the rescue diver class, and perhaps even pursue a professional certification (dive master? instructor? Who knows?)

Just thought I'd say hi and see who's out there....

Scott
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Welcome to our site, and welcome back to the water! I'm sure you'll find some good dive buddies here. I think it's great you're planning on getting your rescue cert- Amy from A 2 Z Scuba (PinkPadiGal on this site) says that every diver ought to be trained up to the rescue level, and she's right!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Welcome Scott! You'll find no shortage of dive buddies here. Any times/days of the week better for you than others?

-Valerie
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Welcome! You'll find lots of willing divers here. Like most, I highly recommend Rescue Diver. It's the best PADI course I've taken (and I've taken a LOT!)!
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Scott!
Any time you want to come down South, Tacoma/Lakewood.
you can join in on some mid week dives with me. I try to get, at least, one dive a week in.

Keith. :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Nailer99 wrote:Welcome to our site, and welcome back to the water! I'm sure you'll find some good dive buddies here. I think it's great you're planning on getting your rescue cert- Amy from A 2 Z Scuba (PinkPadiGal on this site) says that every diver ought to be trained up to the rescue level, and she's right!
Next to my DM course, I got more out of the Rescue class than all the other classes. It is the best non professional class I think a diver can take.
Charles
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Hi Scott,
Welcome to the Club. :salute:

There is a good bunch of people here. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ken
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey Scott!

Glad you found us. I also echo the comments about the rescue class. It will challenge you and you'll come out a better diver all around. Puget Sound can always use more Rescue certified divers! :partyman:

"Grateful Diver (Bob, instructor extraordinaire)" teaches a VERY THOROUGH (if I may say so myself! \:D/ ) rescue diver class and "Zen Diver 2 (Valerie, the Queen, ER nurse, and DAN instructor extraordinaire :prayer: )" teaches the DAN medical stuff to go with it. PM them with any questions you might have.

Let's go diving soon! My weekday diving availability may be coming to an end so hopefully we can do it soon!

-Doug
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Hi Scott -

Welcome to the club and back into the water, glad you didn't give up on it! I echo the comments about getting the Rescue cert, best and most pratical cert you can do. I recommend Randy Williams of Starfish Diving Inc. to get your Rescue cert:

http://www.starfishdivinginc.com/
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hi Scott..

Welcome.. Yes, rescue cert is so important.. You might have to ruscue me someday so get on it... ;D

Cheers,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Thanks for the welcome!

Post by scottsax »

Rescue Diver is an important cert to me. I come from a law enforcement family, and while that wasn't the path I chose, emergency preparedness is very important to me. It's why I've always kept up my CPR training, and why I carry flashlights everywhere.

Right now I'm between vehicles, which makes me very smug about my carbon footprint on the planet =D> , but makes getting to dive sites difficult. #-o I may have to wait a short while longer until my new job kicks in with it's 75-80% pay raise before I can start going whenever I want. In the meantime, I'll hound my more tolerant buddies to dive every chance I get.

Unless there's anybody close to Lake City that doesn't mind carpooling. I'm very generous with gas money and post-dive beers....

Peace, love, and funky stuff!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Re: Thanks for the welcome!

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

scottsax wrote:Right now I'm between vehicles...
This sounds painful #-o . Welcome Scott.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Greetings and salutations!

Post by scottsax »

Thanks everybody for the warm welcomes. Is there a club dive coming up soon? Maybe I can meet some of you there!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:Thanks everybody for the warm welcomes. Is there a club dive coming up soon? Maybe I can meet some of you there!
HA!! Dude, you're totally STILL "between vehicles!!" Good thing you've got someone else's to drive. :luv:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:
scottsax wrote:Thanks everybody for the warm welcomes. Is there a club dive coming up soon? Maybe I can meet some of you there!
HA!! Dude, you're totally STILL "between vehicles!!" Good thing you've got someone else's to drive. :luv:
Nah, I have Zipcars-just like Sockmonkey!

Oh, and yes, Mrs. Sax is good enough to let me drive her car now and then. :uh:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

scottsax wrote: Nah, I have Zipcars-just like Sockmonkey!
There's nothing like returning your zip car soaking wet ... smelling like neoprene and rotting puget sound. I wonder if anyone ever complained about the time I got into a civic with my drysuit on but unzipped to my waist. I was in a hurry to get back from the deuce to relieve martial stress. The next renter's ass must have been totally damp.

Adding up the cost of fills plus the zipcar action it became kinda expensive after a while. As much as I love my current rusty dive pickup, I miss not owning a car cause they're a freaking hassle. The biggest downside to taking a zipcar to dive is that you compelled to get it back quickly after you dive... which put a damper on the post dive malt and hops offgassing with my team.

Good for you Scott... owning a car is totally overrated.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome Scott Sax....glad to have you aboard
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

scottsax wrote:Just thought I'd say hi and see who's out there....Scott
Welcome Scott! :bday:
Give a buzz if you're going to dive the south end. Cove 2 is way too far north for us southerners....

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

:clap:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS