Just when I thought MukilteoT-dock was getting boring

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Just when I thought MukilteoT-dock was getting boring

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I went on yet another dive at the T-dock on sunday afternoon. On the first dive everything was the same nothing rael exciting. So I disided not to take my camera on the second dive. BAD MISTAKE!
I seen my first GPO but it wasn't so great. It was about 8" long. But I was so excited because it was my very first octo. It's amazing how well they blend in. I also got INKED!. But thats not all. Right next to the octo was something from outer space, A Big rat fish (also a first for me). Me and my dive buddy just laid on the bottom and it came with in 1 foot of my mask. It was great. Now I want to go back with my camera so others will belive me.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Rule #1 (for Tom at least) - When you leave your camera behind you will always see something cool. Therefore, never leave your camera behind!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Rat fish and octos are really cool. Congratulations on your first finds! =D> Don't worry, you will definitely find more of them. Tom is right, you may not see much sometimes when have camera, but inevitably, you will be sorry you don't have it when you don't.

Rich
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

If you want to see ratfish at Mukilteo, swim or walk up to the oil dock. Generally quite a few in under the dock, even during the day. I've only seen a single octo at Mukilteo, and that was at night. Congrats on some cool finds.

Jake
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Edmonds Oil Dock is a good place for spotting ratfish. For gpo's, Sunrise Beach, Titlow, or Day Island are almost always sure bets.
peo
Avid Diver

Post by peo »

Tom Nic wrote:Rule #1 (for Tom at least) - When you leave your camera behind you will always see something cool. Therefore, never leave your camera behind!
Wouldn't a better deduction be to always leave your camera behind? ;-)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Congrats on your first GPO sighting \:D/
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Re: Just when I thought MukilteoT-dock was getting boring

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

sheahanmcculla wrote:I also got INKED!.
Inked?... octo's are friends, not sqeeze toys [-X
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

It is the murphy law that if you leave your camera behind you will see some cool stuff...
Great find on the Octo but if you got inked it is a sign of stress on the octo and not a good thing....(This is what I have been told) so maybe back up and bit and give 'em some room.
Take your camera next time so we can all see the pics.
Kirsten
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

peo wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Rule #1 (for Tom at least) - When you leave your camera behind you will always see something cool. Therefore, never leave your camera behind!
I suppose you could go there... but then nobody would believe me! And so far I've seen lots of cool stuff when I take my camera, so no leaving it behind for me! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Tom Nic wrote:
peo wrote:
I suppose you could go there... but then nobody would believe me! And so far I've seen lots of cool stuff when I take my camera, so no leaving it behind for me! \:D/
It's just when you don't dive with us we see the cooler stuff. :rr:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Glad to see some other people like ratfish! I think they're beautiful, with their big puppy-dog eyes, and silver spots, and bright cold lateral line. And they can be so friendly . . . One swam right up to my husband's mask last Friday. Glad you enjoyed your finds!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:Glad to see some other people like ratfish! I think they're beautiful, with their big puppy-dog eyes, and silver spots, and bright cold lateral line. And they can be so friendly . . . One swam right up to my husband's mask last Friday. Glad you enjoyed your finds!
I like watching ratfish too, though I get the sense that they're more stupid than friendly. Last time I was the oil dock I saw one swim right into a divelight before turning and swimming away.

Since the do get so close beware of the spine.....

Jake
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks for all the input on where I can see gpo's and rat fish. I am going back to muk on wed @ 5:00 (WITH MY CAMERA) to try to get some proof.

Thanks again.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

aw, you're lucky! i've seen lots of ratfish (they *are* cool!) but i have yet to see a GPO. i've just seen lots of little red octos ... which are still cool, but i'm looking forward to my first GPO some day. hope you get pictures next time!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets