Terrific Mapping Project

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sure! I'm just happy for any time in the water- I don't know anything about hydrographic reconnaissance, but I know how to use a tape measure, and I'd be happy to help you with the mapping if you want.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Calvin,

I would be happy to go diving with you on your mapping project and any time is fine with me. Don't know what your requirements of the diver are, but let me know if you are interested.
:salute:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Three Tree N. at 4:30 pm? :bounce: \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Calvin, I should be able to make it at 2 or even a little before. Are you still going for it?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Guys, I'm not too familiar with how Three Tree is in terms of currents. Each time I've dived there it was not bad at all, though I've heard others say that it's current intensive.

Does anyone have any info on that? Slack is at 3:53, so maybe Tom Nic and I can do one dive and then the others would be there for the second dive. That sounds pretty good to me. What do you guys think? Also, does anyone else have a reel?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Bassman and myself have done 8 dives at 3 Tree North. Current has never been a big issue, though if the exchange was huge all bets would be off, of course.

I will plan on being there around 2, with two tanks. Just point me in the right direction, tell me what to do, and I'll help as much as my ample newbie posterior will allow!

How much does a reel cost, I wonder? Been thinking about getting one anyway... All you dive store types should know this?!?
Last edited by Tom Nic on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom and I have dove there multiple times and current has never been an issue there. but slack is always better for the Visibility.
I can be there around 2:45 pm If I leave directly from work.
I would like to catch both dives, if possible.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The exchange is quite large that day, but we should be hitting it just right.

Let's wait for Bassman, so meet there and start gearing up by 2:45, in the water right around 3 and then we'll do a second dive with Nailer99 when he gets there just after 4 (assuming he can come straight from work).

There are two types of reels, a traditional large style and a finger reel. I have a larger one with 400' so that should be good, but if you wanna grab one you'll probably have a use for it at some point. They're around $100 and $30, respectively. Maybe two of us can work on laying the line and one can record depths and distances. I've never done this before so please excuse my ignorance!

Looking forward to diving with you again Tom and looking forward to finally meeting Bassman in person!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'll be there!
Looking fwd to meeting and diving with you too Calvin!
I am, as new to diving, as Tom Nic is (we got Certified together)
I wont have a reel but will help wherever I can.
See ya Saturday :hello2:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Okey dokey. That will give me just enough time to go buy Maverick a beer at his business opening party at 7 \:D/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Calvin,
OOP's I did it again! #-o
I forgot to check with the Wife before making my Dive Plans.

I will have to bag another one. If I don't meet you sooner, I'm sure I will see you at the BBQ!

Tom will still be there for you!

Later, Bassman ](*,)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's okay Bassman, I think we might have Cuppie and Maverick there too from the sounds of it. :salute:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sweet! I think I just managed to weasel out of working Saturday afternoon! I can probably be free around 12 and make both dives. Let's go kick this map's ass, Calvin- It can't be too different from laying out a foundation or something like that, except underwater....with currents.....and low vis......and limited air supply........

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Just don't bring your nail gun. Ok, meet at three tree North at 2:30 and (Tom Nic to arrive at 2:45).

\:D/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Why can't I bring the nail gun? :bootyshake:

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey Calvin, I have some flexibility now that Bassman's work isn't a factor. I can be there earlier if it will help. As it is I'll probably get there between 2 and 2:30 unless I hear different from you. I'm looking forward to the project!!
Tom Nic
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Okay guys, let's meet there at 2, that will give us some time to go over the plan ahead of the dive!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

OK, but I'm bringing the damn nail gun!

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Calvin Let me know when you are going to leave your house, i would like to roll with you if i am finished showing my shop to my parents, they just got back from italy tonight. As for Cuppie she might have to sit this one out, she told me to post for her, i will call you tomorrow calvin. I have a reel also
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

So, this didn't turn out as expected. After a half hour of prep and getting the reels ready we were getting ready in the baking hot sun and I put my suit on and rrrrrrrip, went my neck seal. Later at the shop we had a look at it more closely and it looks as if it's a very old neck seal. I've only put about 15 dives on the suit and it was custom made for me, I guess that part might've been on the shelf for a while #-o

Anyways BUWS is taking care of me but I didn't get to dive with the fellas and didn't get to do the mapping project. We're thinking that Three Tree isn't a good place for it anyways so we might do the sunken I-90 bridge instead. Does anyone know if the algae booms in the lake all summer? Diverdown?

](*,)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Calvin! My sympthies on the neck seal... that stinks!

Sorry that mapping Three Tree did not work out. Selfishly, I would love a map of the site. Realistically, it is too spread out with not enough structure to map easily. It is a huge site.

It was great diving with Nailer and Mav... even if we didn't find the golf ball boat! :toimonster:

Good luck with the mapping project.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I dived Three Tree this morning with Grateful Diver and Chen, the Maciek showed up for some authentic mexican food on Anbaum. It was a swell morning. Thanks again for letting me dive the Torus Bob!

Okay, so who's in for mapping I-90?
Starin Darin
Just Settling In

I-90 algae blooms

Post by Starin Darin »

I did my hardhat deep dives in Lake Washington in July of '02 and the vis was 0-5 until you hit 120ish. That was in the North part of the lake but I can't imagine that it changes that much from North to South. Don't know if that helps you of not.
If you're not sure...ASK!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

A mapping question: Isn't it really all about underwater structure?

I know that you record depths and gradient, etc., but without a fair amount of structure there's really not lots to map....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I wouldn't recommend the I-90 bridge for a number of reasons (poor vis, silty lake bottom, depth, etc).

Oh ... and FWIW, although that Cove 2 map is very nice, there are a number of errors on it.

Good places to map ... Redondo, Les Davis, Harper Ferry, Cove 3, Alki Pipeline ... all of them have been done by numerous DM candidates, but that will be true of anyplace worth mapping.

If you want a real fun project, plan a week-end camp/dive trip to Porteau Cove and map the dive park. I figure five or six dives ought to do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)