Traveling with CCRs, bottles, and sorb...

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Traveling with CCRs, bottles, and sorb...

Post by Sounder »

I've heard folks carrying on their CCRs, and checking the bottles. Can you carry on the bottles without the valves in place?

Also, if you wanted to SHIP bottles (and sorb if you didn't want to hassle with the MSDS etc) to your destination, can you do so with them being full? Which companies (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc) do you use to ship full bottles and what kind of advice can the RB ninjas here offer?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You can't ship cylinders with >~25psi in them by common carrier (UPS, Fedex, USPS etc.) Contents don't matter, they are a hazardous material by definition. I can't recall the exact pressure but its very small.

Valves off, no or clear tape over the opening is OK with TSA.

Richard
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

When Mel, Curt and Crew came up to Juneau, they shipped everything full by Alaska Marine Lines (barge). It left Seattle on Wed and I picked it up on Tuesday.

When traveling by air you can check sorb, it's not considered hazardous, tanks with the valves out and put the rebreather in your carry-on.

Most destinations are becoming more rebreather friendly as time goes by. So fills are less of a problem.

I don't believe that any of the carriers will allow you to ship full tanks, but empty tanks and sorb are no problem with any of them .

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So you can carry on bottles with valves out?

Sounds like anything by air must be empty but that once you get where you're going, you can arrange with a tech shop who fills helium... or just arrange EANx diving like in Bonaire. Is this about right?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Yes, you can travel with the valves out.

You need 2 fills 1 is your dil that will either be air or Trimix, nothing rich like nitrox.

Then you need Oxygen.

In Bonaire you talk to Walt at RekTek he's the man.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, I knew about the Dil. I was just thinking of TMX diving or Nitrox diving (i.e. whether you're breathing helium or not).

Does the Bonaine guy have helium? I thought you couldn't get it on the island.
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

I also have travelled taking 13 cf tanks in hand luggage with valves out. that was on a puddle jumper where having the weight in hand hand luggage to reduce stowed weight turned out to be key. Haven't tried it with a commercial carrier but hear it's doable.

george
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Sounder wrote:Yeah, I knew about the Dil. I was just thinking of TMX diving or Nitrox diving (i.e. whether you're breathing helium or not).

Does the Bonaine guy have helium? I thought you couldn't get it on the island.
He Should, He was my Tri-mix Instructor

In the dil if it's not tri-mix it's usually air. You want to be able to get the PO2 down if need be and if you have nitrox in there you can't do that.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Exactly what I meant - you'd be DIVING nitrox but your dil would be air (I won't make the dumb arguement that air is EAN21 #-o ). I was referring to diving air while adding O2 being the nitrox that you're diving in contract to trimix that you're diving.

Wow - sounds great! I didn't know someone in Bonaire had helium. That's exciting stuff! Sounds like he'd have some of the cleanest air too then.

My CCR fund is growing nicely. \:D/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Got ya!

Walt is a great guy and fun to dive with. Rek Tek is his business and he teaches out of Capt. Don's. At least when I was there he had his own storeroom full of tech gear and he is in charge of the tech gas fills.

We did some really cool dives on the "Windjammer" it's an old 3 master that sank around 1898. I've heard that you may not be able to shore dive it anymore. Great dive of course we were at 200' with doubles and stages and all the other crap and there were a group of European divers swimming around us on single 80's!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

To think that being at 200' on 80s is ok is simply beyond me. Not all the dummies in the world live in America.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Yes....it is true that you can't dive the Mairi Bahn (aka "the Windjammer") from shore any longer. It's now a boat only dive. Just one more thing that idiots ruined for the rest of us.

As I understand it, a group of morons decided to get drunk and have a beach bonfire after their dive and it got out of control. Since the beach entry to the dive site is extremely close to a fuel refinery, this was definitely considered as a "problem" by local authorities. Also, a pair of different divers let the current sweep them under the piere at the refinery, which set all KINDS of alarm bells off with security.

People need to understand that their actions can often have unintended consequences.

It's an absolutely GORGEOUS dive, though!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I can't think of a better place in the world to have done my Tri-mix class.

Straight descent to the bottom of the hull at 160' down to the crowsnest at exactly 200', around the wreck a couple times and then in my opinion the best section of reef in Bonaire to do your deco on! Unbelievable!

If you ever get a chance to dive it even by boat you won't be sorry!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Dmitchell wrote:I can't think of a better place in the world to have done my Tri-mix class.

Straight descent to the bottom of the hull at 160' down to the crowsnest at exactly 200', around the wreck a couple times and then in my opinion the best section of reef in Bonaire to do your deco on! Unbelievable!

If you ever get a chance to dive it even by boat you won't be sorry!

Dave
Yeah! What Dave said! I did an article on the Mairi Bahn that appeared in ADM # 17. Fantastic wreck!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/