Nude Diving in the Puget Sound!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ROFL, now now you're changing the rules! I'll chip in for Seth T in February.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Oh MAN! I thought it would be much better as a compitition thing. Not that I am willing to participate or anything.. I have a few more brain cells than that (no offence Seth)..

Looks like the pot of crazy people who are willing to see Seth T dive naked (with a hood on) is up to $50.. Come on people we need to get that number up...

Captian Jack thinks we should plan the celebration for Feburary and I am inclined to agree with him..

Ok so the new poll is what weekend in Feburary is everyone available.. Videographers, Money bags, Valerie you'll need to be there for 1st aid for Seth.. And of course Seth T.. the guest of shame, I mean honor, his diver gear, his hood and his
:bootyshake:
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Okay, now we're planning on this in February?! Whoa, I better be getting some serious moolaa for this! :toimonster:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Can I pay $10 to NOT have to come or see the pictures?? :vom:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Well now I don't know - if the bets get too high, I might need to get in on the diving part... what a story: "I've dived naked in Puget Sound." My mother will be so proud.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I'd pay more if it was a compitition.. If it was a who could stay down longer thing.. That'd be worth more like $25 to me... Just to see the guy who tried and didn't win.. That'd be worth it.. Anyone else with me? Lets make it worth the guys while.. Well one guy anyway. And then who ever can hang out (literally) underwater longest gets the money..
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

GillyWeed wrote:I'd pay more if it was a compitition..
Yeah, but the problem with that is that whoever loses gets squat!
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Seth T. wrote:
GillyWeed wrote:I'd pay more if it was a compitition..
Yeah, but the problem with that is that whoever loses gets squat!
And the winner gets....

shrivelled
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

CaptnJack wrote: And the winner gets....

shrivelled
Well, that's going to happen to the loser too! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Yes but upping the ante makes the show that much better... I personally would only pay $10 myself to see some dumb ass, wait scratch that, brave soul jump into the Puget Sound nekkid in Feburary for a dive.. HOWEVER.. if there were two dumb.. Uh brave souls willing to go in head to head or er ewww.. hand to hand combat... That would be worth more money.. IMHO.. Now yes, some poor sucker is going to come out with nothing.. But hey, it's only Sounder challanging you to the duel the last I heard... Seth, I thought you were so confident.. We are going to let you keep your hood on!!

As an aside though.. If I were a betting girl (which I am) my money is on Sounder to kick :bootyshake: Sounder is a badass
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

GillyWeed wrote: As an aside though.. If I were a betting girl (which I am) my money is on Sounder to kick :bootyshake: Sounder is a badass
I see. Thems fighting words. :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hmmm, while we're on the challenge to see who can get dangerously hypothermic, why not issue a challenge to see who can stay down the longest, or maybe ascend the fastest and get bent in the process?

Wait, wait...no, let's see who can go to 200 feet on an aluminum 80! Yeah!

<sarcasm>

Accidents waiting to happen! Somehow I don't think any of us would really want to be involved in betting money on encouraging someone else to put themselves in a dangerous situation, eh?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Awwwww MOM.. No fun no fun!!!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Stuff like this always ends with someone saying.......

"It seemed like a good idea at the time!"

or

"well we didnt think anyone would get hurt"

or

"OMG that dude has a hairy butt!!!" :bootyshake:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:Hmmm, while we're on the challenge to see who can get dangerously hypothermic, why not issue a challenge to see who can stay down the longest, or maybe ascend the fastest and get bent in the process?

Wait, wait...no, let's see who can go to 200 feet on an aluminum 80! Yeah!

<sarcasm>

Accidents waiting to happen! Somehow I don't think any of us would really want to be involved in betting money on encouraging someone else to put themselves in a dangerous situation, eh?

Aargh Janna!!! Why must you always be reasonable and use logic to point out things like this! I'm glad you did though in the event someone didn't know what was wrong with this and actually thought it was a good idea.

FWIW, I'm very proud of how safety concious I am and I wouldn't go diving in Puget Sound without exposure protection, even in the summer... despite how much fun it sounds like it could be. Diving would add many complications that simply swimming in cold water doesn't have. 20 minutes in Puget Sound without exposure protection would be seriously problematic and dangerous. Think of how chilly you are at the end of a 60 minute dive in a drysuit (or :pale: wetsuit)!

That disclosure said, I HAVE participated in swims similar to the Polar Bear Club (polarbearclub.org). A good friend of mine is a card-carrying member of the PBC.

There are also those occasions every once in a while where someone gets dared to jump in Pine Lake in the dead of winter... yes, we have the hot shower running before they take the plunge. Ironicly, the guys who are willing to do it are usually trying to impress a lady... funny thing is when they hit the water they shreeeeek like a girl and then when they exit the lake, they're not impressing anyone! :laughing3:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Hey, you guys suck! Are all bets off now?! I still want to do it! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:Stuff like this always ends with someone saying.......

"It seemed like a good idea at the time!"

or

"well we didnt think anyone would get hurt"

or

"OMG that dude has a hairy butt!!!" :bootyshake:

Let's not forget, the most famous last words: Hey Everybody! Watch THIS!

:laughing3:

Jake
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

GillyWeed wrote:Awwwww MOM.. No fun no fun!!!
You kids! It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt! [-X

Sure, people do polar bear swims all the time, but what I cringe at is combining diving and hypothermia. Remember from OW class that when you're doing cold water dives you have to treat your dives like they were 10 feet deeper than normal?

That's because cold is a risk factor in getting bent. You can only imagine how much your risk is increased if you're getting SERIOUSLY cold and hypothermic. Add to that yet another risk factor and nono - jumping into a hottub or shower afterwards to warm up - that can increase your chances of getting bent even more!

Val - Oh great DAN one - can probably elaborate a lot more on this. :prayer:

I know, I know, moms always suck all the 'fun' out of stuff like this :pale:

hehe! I just wanna keep you guys around, that's all!

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

nwscubamom wrote:
GillyWeed wrote:Awwwww MOM.. No fun no fun!!!
You kids! It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt! [-X

Val - Oh great DAN one - can probably elaborate a lot more on this. :prayer:

Sheesh Janna, I was hoping for some job security out of all this, both as a DAN Instructor ("gee Val, why did I get bent? Maybe I need to take your classes...") and ER Nurse ("bbbut they dddo it all the ttttime ooother pppplaces!").

-Valerie \:D/
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I never actually thought anyone would get to the point of diving.. More along the lines of getting all geared up (Nekkid) and then running into the water.. Only to run back out again... Wouldn't that be halarious?!? If anyone actually was able to "dive" I would be very surprised.... And would expect them to need more than help from Valerie.. How about a psyciatrist?!?

Besides we are talking about boys here.. They wouldn't get up to their ankles if they had to walk in without their suits on... Jumping in.. Yeah maybe they'd do that. But walking in.. No way..

That isn't a challenge boys!! I am only KIDDING!!!!!!
peo
Avid Diver

Post by peo »

Just don't do the dive too long, especially if you do it in February.

In 40-50 degree water, exhaustion and unconsciousness can happen after being submerged for 30 minutes, and expected time of survival is one to three hours.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

You guys are party poopers! :crybaby:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:
Sheesh Janna, I was hoping for some job security out of all this, both as a DAN Instructor ("gee Val, why did I get bent? Maybe I need to take your classes...") and ER Nurse ("bbbut they dddo it all the ttttime ooother pppplaces!").

-Valerie \:D/

Thats too funny!! Hahaha "Gee Val, why did I get bent?" Hahahahaha :dontknow:

Whether you get yourself bent or not.....TAKE VAL's CLASSES!!!