Digital Camera suggestions

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
TCWestby
Submariner

Digital Camera suggestions

Post by TCWestby »

After my trip to the San Juans last weekend cameraless, I'm looking for a decent beginner digital camera with UW housing. Would anyone here have any suggestions? I am cash poor so it needs to be somewhat inexpensive, I'll upgrade later.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Purchase one that has at least 7 or 8 megapixels. Really important for our waters especially, IMO.

Price the camera AND the housing together...

The Casio 1050 is a great point and shoot, camera and housing together under $500.

Cannon makes several great ones, as does Olympus, with the housings to go with them. Perhaps some on the board that use them can give you specific model numbers and prices.

LOTS of great cameras out there... so much more than years past. It's almost had to make a really bad decision.

-Good luck,

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Don't buy Sony.

Personally I'd highly recommend Canon after seeing the pictures they've put out. Same as Mr. Tom Nic's Casio.. if you check out his pictures on the board, they're great.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Canon 10d or 20d ikelite housings twin ds 125 strobs..
Really like the 10d so much I bought the 20d then I bought the 5d but only have housing for two... :book: :la:
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i have really enjoyed my canon a610. canon makes a wide range of cameras that have compatible housings.

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... to">here's a list of canon's waterproof housings</a>

happy hunting. let us know what you finally decide.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The Casio EX-Z1000 has been working well for me. Camera and housing for under 400.00 if you shop around. B&H had the best prices on housings when I bought mine.
Here's a link to my pics if you'd like to see some shots with this camera.

www.picasaweb.google.com/cardiver
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Thanks all, it looks like Cannon is my best way to tg for an introductory unit and I was already leaning that way.
Looking for dive buddies

Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I shoot an Olympus 5050. Good camera but it is an older modle and only 5 megapixs.
The camera is bigger and once its in its housing it is not a little thing.

Go with at least 7 megapixs.
I am not a big fan of Sony.
I have been very impressed with the picture quality of the very small slim Casios.

Just make sure you can easily adjust the cameras controls in its housing wearing your dive gloves.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

My favorite thing about the Casio (besides 10 mp. huge screen and great pics) is the very compact size of the housing. The camera/housing is neutral without having to add a weight to it. It's such a compact package that the amount of air inside the housing is very minimal. The Canon and Oly housings are much bulkier, IMHO.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

You can get the Casio at Costco for a qreat price, then get the housing by shopping online. I got my housing from a place out of New York whose name I can't remember right now but they were a bit cheaper than B & H. I just searched online and found the best price. Total price for camera and housing even with shipping was about $360.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

There are lots of great, simple point-n-shoot cameras out there that come with underwater housings and take awesome pictures.

I really liked the one I started out with ... the Fuji F10. There are newer models out there today, but this camera produced incredibly sharp, vivid images. And for macro it's still the best camera I've used ... I could get almost to the point of touching the subject with the lens housing and still get a sharply focused image.

One of the better ideas out there for underwater use is the Pentax Optio "W" series (W20, W30, etc). These cameras are waterproof down to about 10 feet ... which means that although you'll still need a housing, a simple flood doesn't ruin the camera (since most floods only partially flood the housing and don't produce enough pressure to get through the seals on the camera). The Optio is small, simple to operate, takes great pictures, and is relatively inexpensive.

You'll almost always pay more for the more popular models (Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc) ... and in today's market, probably not get a better camera than you can get with some of the less well-marketed brands.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Interesting Bob, I didn't think of the extra protection from flooding.
Looking for dive buddies

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I saw an ad on the inside cover of a recent scuba pub for an Oly point and shoot that's wp down to 30 fsw and shock proof on a drop from 5 feet.
The model is the Stylus S770. It also operates in temps as low as 14 degrees.
Just checked out the web site. Another cool feature is that it records the depth OR altitude of the photo!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

Olympus 770 is a great little camera.
My daughter owns the version before the 720.
There is a newer model out the 790.

All are good cameras ~ waterproof to 10' or more.
Shock proof from a 5' drop
Crush proof ~ I think the weight limit is 220 lbs.
Freeze proof ~ I believe to 10 degrees or some such nonsense.

Played with my daughters in the lake while I was diving her hardhat last month.
It took great pics above and below the water.
A very useful camera if your life is busy and active.

Only down side is that the cameras only accept up to a 2 gig XD card.
You should use the H type card not the M type.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

TCWestby wrote:Thanks all, it looks like Cannon is my best way to tg for an introductory unit and I was already leaning that way.
Okay, if you're going to get a Canon, make sure you spell it right! #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I used to be a good speller till the advent of spell check...
Looking for dive buddies

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

you know I have to tell you for the diver on a budget
I am realy happy with my Sea Life Dc 500 only 5 meg but it sure takes some nice pictures and with the strobe and all I have the Pro package
came with Camara houseing and the Strobe and soft sided carrying case and soft ware and docking station with cabel for right around $500.00

I just love it

but what ever camara you get make sure to get at least one spare batt. I did not do this so I wound up ordering two so now im set

give it some thought you ask for inexpencive and want to be able to take good pictures now they have a 6 and 7 meg ( if not more ) out might be worth checking in to for the diver on a buget

just a couple pictures I have that I realy liked

not to shabby for a point and shoot

good luck it took me about 4 mounths to decide which one I wanted to start with

Sparky[/list]
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Diver_Dave wrote:Canon 10d or 20d [...] Really like the 10d so much I bought the 20d then I bought the 5d but only have housing for two... :book: :la:
those are not inexpensive cameras!!! [-X

most of my photos are with canon sd700 is; some of my "older" ones are with the canon s410. none with external strobes. housings are camera-specific. helps to have a camera that is fairly easy to replace, because chances are you might need to replace it at some point and it sucks to have to buy a new camera *and* a new housing. canons are great with macros. look for something with good shutter speed. i chose the sd700 is because it has 4x optical zoom and great reviews and excellent shutter speed, etc. (imho, digital zoom is just about worthless - not entirely, but i've never gotten anything i'd want to print.) you should be able to find a pretty decent camera and housing for $500-600 total. get a big fast card and spend extra to get a 2nd battery. go with the genuine battery for your camera - it's not worth it to skimp and end up with a dud - the less you have to open your case between dives the better, and i've gotten 3 dives off of one battery on trips. (sorry for the quick ramble - i am tired!)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I agree that the digital zoom is worthless.
I have mine turned off and NEVER turn it on.

All digital zoom gives you is an enlargement of your max optical zoom.
I would rather crop after downloading the pic to my computer.

Canon has the fastest shutter speed of the point and shoots.
Of course as you go up in "class" you get faster shutters.
Top of the line Canon will be faster than top of the line Sony, Casio, Nikon...

I also agree with buying the second battery from the mfg.
Digipower and other do make batteries to fit your camera but the voltage and the mAh will be different.
Won't hurt your camera but you will not get the same performance from them.
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I agree that the digital zoom is worthless.
I have mine turned off and NEVER turn it on.

All digital zoom gives you is an enlargement of your max optical zoom.
I would rather crop after downloading the pic to my computer.

Canon has the fastest shutter speed of the point and shoots.
Of course as you go up in "class" you get faster shutters.
Top of the line Canon will be faster than top of the line Sony, Casio, Nikon...

I also agree with buying the second battery from the mfg.
Digipower and others do make batteries to fit your camera but the voltage and the mAh will be different.

Sorry for the long winded reply ~ I use to sell cameras and the info just sort of pops out every now and again.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Cold_H2O wrote:I also agree with buying the second battery from the mfg.
Digipower and others do make batteries to fit your camera but the voltage and the mAh will be different.
one person told me they just carry 4 of the cheap ones around because they were so unreliable, and i just thought to myself that for the same price he could have bought a real one that was entirely reliable, less bulky to carry around, and lighter overall. perhaps reliability isn't as bag of a deal on land in the "normal" world of existence, but underwater or out in the field on an extended trip, it is key.

and speaking of batteries, many people choose the canon A series cameras specifically because they operate with normal AA batteries - making a bulkier camera, but giving more options when you can't recharge or afford a bunch of extras. if going that way, i would still recommend getting really good rechargeables that will last a lot longer than normal AA's as your main set(s) - eBay or battery.com or similar sources will have quite some options.

i actually have 3 of the canon batteries for my camera and find it perfect for juggling a lot of shots when i'm traveling. hmm ... maybe i just take too many photos! #-o
my FLICKR photo sets
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thelawgoddess wrote:many people choose the canon A series cameras specifically because they operate with normal AA batteries - making a bulkier camera, but giving more options when you can't recharge or afford a bunch of extras. if going that way, i would still recommend getting really good rechargeables that will last a lot longer than normal AA's as your main set(s)
i bought the an A series canon for that reason - to make it easier to grab batteries if needed on vacation. but i have tried the rechargeable kind, and it seemed that after a few months, they never retained a full charge for long, and after 9 months barely kept the camera powered for more than 20 minutes. maybe i bought a crappy brand of rechargeables, but i stick with good ol' duracell nowadays.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Spatman,

Get some good rechargable Ni-Mh AA from Batteryspace. I have a buynch of them for running my Divelight, they last quite a bit longer than the Alkeline batteries I used to use.

Jake
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; i have a ton of NIMH's - AA and D. i believe they are tenergy-branded. i did some research and read some reviews and they seemed a good match of quality and price, but there's all kinds of info on the 'net. i went all-out and bought a kick-ass MAHA smart charger that can charge up to 8 D's at a time - and everything down to AAA's and any mixture thereof to boot. nwbrewer is actually THE guy for battery questions - he helped me when i was wondering and researching. (because going through 16 AA's and 5 D's every few dives starts to totally suck on the wallet in a vicious way.) from what i remember reading, you need to make sure you condition the batteries well before you start actually using them, and then re-condition them from time to time ... and also be careful about storing them for long periods of inactivity. like all batteries, i think they will eventually lose their juice, but i don't expect mine to crap out any time soon. and even if they do, i already saved money over buying alkalines ... and i get strong steady light instead of increasingly dimming yellow-ness. not that i'm a big supporter of rechargeable NIMH batteries or anything.
my FLICKR photo sets
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ok, twist my arm. i'll look into Batteryspace. i do hate adding to the landfill with each battery change...