July 15th - Dive Club BBQ w/ Presentation by John Rawlings

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Do we need to bring anything?!?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It would be nice if folks could help out with food and beverages. We can discuss more when the time gets closer. I'll do a Costco run just prior.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Let me know what and I'll be happy to kick in!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

calvin im in to dont forget the Sparkster
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Calvin wrote:It would be nice if folks could help out with food and beverages. We can discuss more when the time gets closer. I'll do a Costco run just prior.
I'm defenitely into helping out with that end.! :smt035
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Did someone say " F O O D ! " ???

I could be down with that as well

This should bealmost as much fun as the bbq and dive weekend

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

This sounds very interesting-I'm about 80% to be in town this weekend and would love to see John's presentation.

If you post more details on what is needed when we get closer to the date, I'm happy to help with things like food or drink.

Calvin-thanks for putting this together and volunteering the space.

John-thanks in advance for coming over and sharing your team's experience with us.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Everyone-

I must say that John's presentation is one of the best I've seen, honestly. His enthusiasm and passion of the entire story is nothing short of contagious and captivating.

I just stumbled onto this thread and am now trying to find a way to attend myself.

B
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

One of my good friends from highschool is gettign married on that saturday, I just got the invite, I have to go to it. I am going to miss your speech John I am sorry and really sad he had to get married on a saturday. Damn him.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

RATS! I was looking forward to meeting you, (especially since you were one of the guys that volunteered to shlep my doubles! HA!). #-o

There's always next time!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I've tossed this around in my mind for a few days and have finally come to a conclusion.....

While diving down in San Salvador I took a major neurological Type II DCS hit and spent the next week and a half undergoing extensive chamber treatments in both San Sal and Miami.

Along with the presentation on the Lake Crescent/Warren case, it is my intention to discuss my accident and subsequent treatments with the members of the Northwest Dive Club during our July 15th barbecue. I plan to hold nothing back and will answer questions to the best of my knowledge and abilities. Ultimately, an article about my DCS "hit" will appear in ADM and perhaps elsewhere.

In the meantime, ladies and gentlemen, if you are diving without dive-related accident insurance you are being very, VERY foolish.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

July 15th I'm supposed to be in Oregon for some Family get-together.
If, for any reason that does not work out, I will be at this presentation for sure!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I think that a presentation on your case of DCS is a terrific idea. I know at least 2 NWDC members who purchased DAN insurance right after reading about diverdown's unfortunate accident. Awareness is key in preventing or at least mitigating accidents.

You're welcome to publish your article on Newsvine as well.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow! Thank you John! :prayer:

I'm looking forward to the 15th more than ever! I am one of those divers who would not go back into the water without Insurance after reading Diverdown's posting. I'm a firm believer in the fact that we benefit as much or more from hearing about people's challenges than we do from their successes, though we certainly need both.

Thanks again to all the amazing folks here who are all so generous in sharing their lives! :wav:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow- yeah, I'm glad you pulled through it, John. Very sorry to hear about this happening. I, too, purchased the DAN insurance immediately after reading Diver Down's post. I've been reading a lot about DCS and am very curious to hear about your experience. I'm not so sure I would be eager to discuss it if it happened to me, but I appreciate the fact you want to talk about it with us. I hope your recovery is swift and total, and look forward to meeting you.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nailer99 wrote:Wow- yeah, I'm glad you pulled through it, John. Very sorry to hear about this happening. I, too, purchased the DAN insurance immediately after reading Diver Down's post. I've been reading a lot about DCS and am very curious to hear about your experience. I'm not so sure I would be eager to discuss it if it happened to me, but I appreciate the fact you want to talk about it with us. I hope your recovery is swift and total, and look forward to meeting you.
Unfortunately, I have not yet "pulled through it". I still have some residual symptoms that are....ahem....annoying. My recovery won't be swift - I have been told not to dive for 6 months - but I'm hopeful that the recovery will be total.

The monetary costs are still being totaled, but it is already clearly evident that if I paid my DAN insurance premium (Preferred level at $99.00 per year) every year for the next 500 years it STILL wouldn't pay them back! How's THAT for an eye-opener?

In case anyone is wondering, it all resulted after a relatively shallow recreational (non-technical) dive, max depth 88 FSW, without deco, with an extended safety stop, and being cleared by both of my computers. No one is sure why.....although I have a theory that I am confident holds.

I look forward to seeing you all on the 15th.

- John

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Again, WOW! I didn't think it was possible to be MORE interested than I already was! But I am!

I hope everybody brings a buddy to this one...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:RATS! I was looking forward to meeting you, (especially since you were one of the guys that volunteered to shlep my doubles! HA!). #-o

There's always next time!

- John

I would be honored to shlep your doubles, sir! :prayer:

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

John said SHLEP, my grandma says that, thats funny. It is a yedish word, a hebrew german cross. not many know this work and how to use it, cool joohn.

Sorry to hear about tis accident, I also bought DAN the premium pack after diverdowns experience. Now I am really missing out, not only did i get to carry double and other gear but now i miss the presentaion and your telling story about chambers. man weddings are so interupting.

Guys the Wedding doesn't start till 4pm ccan we move this to 11 am?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmmm......I was told that "shlep" was yiddish for "have sex with tanks"! #-o

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know....I won't quit my day job to do stand up! HA!

- John

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Wow John I dont know what to say! To think this subject just came up a few weeks ago and then some else takes a hit. I hope that your symtoms subside very soon! I would like to talk to you about this at the presentation. How are you feeling now, do you have to do any more chamber treatments? I got DAN insurance now Hopefully I wont have to use it! Oh and thanks for sharing, I wasnt shure if I wanted to say anything about my hit but Im glad that I did. At least a few people bought DAN because of it.
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Dang it, I'm working that weekend and won't be able to go! For anyone who's not heard John's presentation you are definitely in for a treat. And, for anyone who's interested in learning more about DCS, you in for an education, I'm sure.

I'll be there in spirit John!

-Valerie :salute:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Bummer that you won't be there, Val! I always look forward to linking up with one of my favorite dive buddies.....even if it's in a crowd!

It's going to be a LONG 6 months.....looks like I'll have to dive vicariously through the rest of you! :-({|=

- John

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I won't be able to make it either - I'll be on my honeymoon. I'm looking forward to your article.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Okay, so can we get a head count? Who can make it to the BBQ? Please respond in the Poll above.