Finally Took the Plunge! Dry Baby!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Finally Took the Plunge! Dry Baby!

Post by Seth T. »

Well, after 6 years and 77 hours of bottom time (106 dives) diving wet, I finally bit the bullet and bought a drysuit. \:D/ I've been resisting buying a drysuit all these years because I dive WARM and never wanted to spend the money for the convience of dry. Well, I finally did and it's awesome. Honestly, I'm not any warmer in the drysuit, but it's a lot more comfortable. :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Good to hear, I can't wait to get mine back and make the plunge.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Good to hear, I can't wait to get mine back and make the plunge.
Looking for dive buddies

Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

yeah... once you go dry... you can't go back..

Welcome to the drysuit converts.... :prayer:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

We'll see about that, though this time of year it gets a little nippy after sundown. Friday afternoon at cove 2 was nice but being dry my buddy might have been able to make a 2nd dive.
Looking for dive buddies

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Cold_H2O wrote:yeah... once you go dry... you can't go back..
Maybe. I'm still going to keep my wetsuit and will most likely dive it during the summer. I just can't see myself coming out of the water to an 85 degree day in a drysuit. [-X I sweat in my wetsuit; I'd die in a drysuit.

Of course, we don't have that many 85 degree days..... #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seth T. wrote:
Cold_H2O wrote:yeah... once you go dry... you can't go back..
Maybe. I'm still going to keep my wetsuit and will most likely dive it during the summer. I just can't see myself coming out of the water to an 85 degree day in a drysuit. [-X I sweat in my wetsuit; I'd die in a drysuit.

Of course, we don't have that many 85 degree days..... #-o
Your wetsuit will be useful as a backup. I can remember 3 weeks out of the water because my dry suit was getting a faulty zipper replaced... Not fun.

Let me know how the "sweating" is in a couple of months. I think it gets "easier", as in more natural the more you use your new suit. And in the Summer it's easy to go half suit or even take the suit off between dives. But there ARE those 85 degree days.... but like you said, few and far between compared to the VAST majority of cold, wet ones. I still remember how "cool" it would be to arrive at a wet, chilly, rainy dive site and simply put my dry suit on first, then leisurely go about my business before and between dives, snug as a bug in a rug! My buddy would throw on a hat, but since I run hot most of the time I didn't even need to do that. I guarantee you that you'll have alot more of those kind of days than you will sweaty 85 degree days!!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I tried my first dive in DUI drysuit last night, in a pool. It was not very comfortable compared to a wetsuit. It would wrinkle up and press against me (even with air in the suit). Maybe a shell suit is not the way to go? Maybe a neoprene one?
Any advice?
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I dive a 7mm non-compressed neoprene drysuit and the transition from my beloved wetsuit was very minimal. Almost identical actually. The suit fits like a loose wetsuit and there is very little air movement (quite noticeable compared to a wetsuit, but probably not as much as a shell suit).
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

sheahanmcculla wrote:I tried my first dive in DUI drysuit last night, in a pool. It was not very comfortable compared to a wetsuit. It would wrinkle up and press against me (even with air in the suit). Maybe a shell suit is not the way to go? Maybe a neoprene one?
Any advice?

Give it time- most people don't take to their new drysuits right away- I sure didn't. I like my shell suit just fine, now. Took me about 30 dives to get comfortable in it, though.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

30 Dives?! Wow, was it worth it?! ](*,)
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seth T. wrote:30 Dives?! Wow, was it worth it?! ](*,)
Since he's going over to the "dark side", i.e. rebreathers, and even longer dives, my guess would be yes! \:D/

Dry suits are in a very real sense "unnatural" and do take some getting used to. (but for that matter, breathing underwater through a hose with a tank on your back is "unnatural" too!)

For some people it's quick and easy, for other's it takes longer. But like any good piece of equipment once you use it for awhile it becomes natural and easy and you couldn't dream of diving any other way. The benefits so far outweigh any small difficulty in getting used to the suit (in our cold water anyway) that it's SO worth it.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman