Local dry suit repairs

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

What's considered a low fill? when I get my tanks filled and then take them home they are usually 3150 - 3250, for my 3300psi tank, and I usually get 3000+ with my 3000psi tank. I can't complain about that. I never use that much air anyways.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I got certified at Everett US and had bad experience with the manager who didn't want to give me the time of day unless I had cash in hand. My instructor was Bob Helton ans he was awesome!!!

I went to SPD alot and they spent countless hours answering questions and generally giving this newbiw advice and never was I pressured to spend a dime. That is why I decided to buy my gear there. One of my buddies went through the same thing at US Everett and also ended up buying at SPD.

I'd be in more if I didn't live in South Marysville and most of my diving is south of them as well.

Tank fills don't take me any longer than US or Discount Divers Supply which is the shop I mainly use because they are alot more convenient for air fills, just down the street from work.

As for short fills, I'd like a definition. I have never recieved less than 3000psi after the tank cooled. when I do get air there I'm usually waiting so get it hot. If I leave it I usually get 3100 or 3200psi.

Sorry anyone had a bad experience but working in retail in the past I can tell you that if you don't make your concerns known they won't know that they need to change things.

I know these guys, they try to bend over bakwards to make folks happy, but they need to know that there is a problem first.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

TCWestby wrote:I got certified at Everett US and had bad experience with the manager who didn't want to give me the time of day unless I had cash in hand.
I had the same experiences at the Kirkland UWS. Not coincidentally, that's where the guy who runs the Everett store came from. However, not all UWS managers act that way. I've had great experiences at the Edmonds, Federal Way, and Lakewood stores.
TCWestby wrote: My instructor was Bob Helton ans he was awesome!!!
"Tatoo Bob" ... he's a great guy.
TCWestby wrote: ... Discount Divers Supply which is the shop I mainly use because they are alot more convenient for air fills, just down the street from work.
Now THERE'S a store I shy away from ...
TCWestby wrote: As for short fills, I'd like a definition. I have never recieved less than 3000psi after the tank cooled. when I do get air there I'm usually waiting so get it hot. If I leave it I usually get 3100 or 3200psi.
As has been noted, if you're getting short fills it's your own fault. You should never leave a shop without putting a gauge on your own tank. If you're short, ask them to top it. If you're using Nitrox, never leave the shop without analyzing your tank. If it's not what you asked for, ask them to fix it.
TCWestby wrote: Sorry anyone had a bad experience but working in retail in the past I can tell you that if you don't make your concerns known they won't know that they need to change things.

I know these guys, they try to bend over bakwards to make folks happy, but they need to know that there is a problem first.
I've found over the years that most shop owners will make an attempt to "fix" a problem if you approach them constructively. Certainly that's your best chance for a positive outcome.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote:
TCWestby wrote: As for short fills, I'd like a definition. I have never recieved less than 3000psi after the tank cooled. when I do get air there I'm usually waiting so get it hot. If I leave it I usually get 3100 or 3200psi.
As has been noted, if you're getting short fills it's your own fault. You should never leave a shop without putting a gauge on your own tank. If you're short, ask them to top it. If you're using Nitrox, never leave the shop without analyzing your tank. If it's not what you asked for, ask them to fix it.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I disagree. You are receiving a service and you should not have to double check their accuracy (nitrox excepting). Pick up your tanks filled a Bubbles Below and they automatically top them off right there in front of you. Now that's service. Why should we have to spend our time to make sure they're full?! That's what we're PAYING them for! :angryfire:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth T wrote: I disagree. You are receiving a service and you should not have to double check their accuracy (nitrox excepting). Pick up your tanks filled a Bubbles Below and they automatically top them off right there in front of you. Now that's service. Why should we have to spend our time to make sure they're full?! That's what we're PAYING them for! :angryfire:
Well, disagree all you want ... but diving's all about personal responsibility and no matter what you're paying for, the ultimate responsibility for your gear is yours. If you didn't learn that in your Open Water class, you got short-changed. My OW instructor taught us to ALWAYS check our own tanks ... and it's something I not only teach to all my students, but firmly believe and practice.

I've got my complaints with Bubbles Below too ... every store has its advantages and drawbacks. Pick the one that pleases you the most ... none of them are perfect.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Well, disagree all you want ... but diving's all about personal responsibility and no matter what you're paying for, the ultimate responsibility for your gear is yours. If you didn't learn that in your Open Water class, you got short-changed. My OW instructor taught us to ALWAYS check our own tanks ... and it's something I not only teach to all my students, but firmly believe and practice.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Okay Bob. I'm not going to start a pissing contest with you. [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth T wrote:
Okay Bob. I'm not going to start a pissing contest with you. [-X
Not expecting you to ... but if you're gonna make strong statements, it's reasonable to expect strong responses.

Coming in here and slamming a dive shop ain't cool ... especially if you haven't made your complaints known to the dive shop owner and given them an opportunity to address your concerns first.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Coming in here and slamming a dive shop ain't cool ... especially if you haven't made your complaints known to the dive shop owner and given them an opportunity to address your concerns first.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm not slamming anyone. I'm sharing my experiences with Smokey Point. And yes, I have talked at length to Steve (owner) and Tim (owner), as I mentioned above. Nor am I hailing Bubbles Below as the end all, be all. They treat me like I expect to be treated. Period. When a dive shop tells me that they don't want my money (as Smokey Point did when I planned on purchasing a drysuit through them), then I'm enclined to be adverse to spending money with them. My experiences go way beyond what you know, Bob.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Bob, do you mind if I let Saundra know the nice things you said about her? I will be seeing her this evening. I believe a good instructor needs to hear positive feedback.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Bob, do you mind if I let Saundra know the nice things you said about her? I will be seeing her this evening. I believe a good instructor needs to hear positive feedback.
Of course you may ... I value good instructors, and think it's in the best interests of the community to know who they are and where they can be found ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth T. wrote: I'm not slamming anyone. I'm sharing my experiences with Smokey Point.
Calling someone "brainless" isn't a slam?
Seth T wrote: Nor am I hailing Bubbles Below as the end all, be all. They treat me like I expect to be treated. Period.
Then that's the store for you ... Period. No reason to ever set foot back in the one you're not happy with ... not even for fills.
Seth T wrote: When a dive shop tells me that they don't want my money (as Smokey Point did when I planned on purchasing a drysuit through them), then I'm enclined to be adverse to spending money with them.
Sometimes it's in everyone's best interest for a customer to just take their business somewhere else. I can think of a couple of shops I used to do business with that I won't go into anymore ... doesn't make them bad shops, just not right for me. Fortunately, we have a lot of choices in this area ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote: Calling someone "brainless" isn't a slam?
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, "brainless" is a slam. My bad. :crybaby:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

When I was in NWSD today, they probably had thirty or more tanks lined up for fills. They had some they had filled, and some that were waiting, and I brought in five more. I tried to put them where I thought the empty ones were, and I saw Matt moving some of the tanks I brought in. As I looked at the tank chaos, I thought, "Wow, it would be really easy to get confused about what's been filled and what hasn't been."

I've never picked up an empty tank there, but I do put a gauge on them, just in case. If I found one that hadn't been filled, I wouldn't be angry. They do a great job -- This is a shop that consistently goes out of its way to make customers happy. But anybody could make a mistake. It's like picking up a Nitrox mix that isn't what it should be. They always offer to fix it, and I evaluate how important it is to have the right mix, and decide if they need to.

Dive shops are very small operations, most of the time. Few employees, and a lot of different hats to wear -- Retail sales rep, repair tech, tank filler, and receptionist and cashier. I don't think it's too much to ask me to be a proactive part of the service, and make sure my tanks are the way I want them before I leave.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Grateful Diver wrote: As has been noted, if you're getting short fills it's your own fault. You should never leave a shop without putting a gauge on your own tank.
I get fills at UWS Kirkland because it is very convenient. In a 3442 tank, I always get 3100-3200.

I have seen them hook up (cool) tanks when I pick them up, and their equipment says that the fill is good. At home, my 2 regs say it is a little short. Maybe their fill station needs to be calibrated!

The guy I see most often there is Steve. Chris, the tall guy, recently left for a commercial diving job.