wolf eel video

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
spatman
I've Got Gills

wolf eel video

Post by spatman »

i found this video while goofing on youtube, and i gotta say there are a few things about it that bug me (the wolfie biting the plastic bag put me over the edge). :axe:

one of the questions i have after watching it, is about the handling of the wolfies. i know many fish have a protective coating of slime (for lack of a more accurate term) that helps shield them from bacteria and infection, and handling them can wear the coating off. is this true for wolfies as well?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bBPHuVZOPE&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bBPHuVZOPE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I don't know about the coating but I do know I'd never think about feeding 'wild' animals. The more we feed them the more they become dependant on us as their food source. If we do it long enough they may forget to 'eat' unless we are there to feed them. Not a good thing.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, wolfies do have a protective layer on their skin that can be rubbed off by adoring divers. There is also a divide in opinion regarding feeding the wolfies. My personal choice is not to feed and not to touch. Every once in a while, a wolfie who is used to being fed will come out and "shake me down" for food though his efforts are always fruitless... but he doesn't do this for nothing - he's used to being fed. In my opinion, it's a problem I refuse to contribute to.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I'm with both of you guys - you wouldn't think of feeding a critter in a national park would you?

And since Wolfies tend to eat pretty much whatever divers feed them (hot dogs included) you gotta question how good is THAT for them?

I wonder if the reason many divers think it's OK is because they can't be seen when they're underwater?

I am glad to see that, for the first time in years on message boards where I participate, the first responses were against feeding.

Wow! You guys are very cool!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nwscubamom wrote:And since Wolfies tend to eat pretty much whatever divers feed them (hot dogs included) you gotta question how good is THAT for them?
seriously. i mean, how good are most hot dogs for us, let alone wildlife?!?!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:And since Wolfies tend to eat pretty much whatever divers feed them (hot dogs included) you gotta question how good is THAT for them?
seriously. i mean, how good are most hot dogs for us, let alone wildlife?!?!
That's the truth!! :vom:
Cwest
Avid Diver

hotdogs??

Post by Cwest »

What hotdogs are you talking about? I dont see any in that video?

I think that video is pretty good.

I am probably not the most netural observer though.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuqeNfdALVE&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuqeNfdALVE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

observations made...
1 Wolfeels are visual hunters (clear plastic bag is not a good idea, use black mesh bag.
2 Don't mug for the camera and stick your finger out with a hungry wolfeel next to you.
3 wolf eels are cool!!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: hotdogs??

Post by spatman »

Cwest wrote:What hotdogs are you talking about? I dont see any in that video?
the hot dogs are not specific to the video, it's more of a general statement.
Fisharefood
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Fisharefood »

Some may remember this discussion from Northwest diver..I would respond to one of the first concerns. I forgot my mesh bag, I can assure you the plastic came back to the surface and was properly disposed of. I will make every effort to remember my mesh bag on all subsequent dives(so far so good). Many divers do not agree with feeding the wolf eels, some enjoy the interaction, and others choose to stay out of the discussion. I can only hope that before you judge my dive partner/ videographer and myself that you can honestly say you do not and will not feed any wildlife in another habitat. Should you choose to feed the finches in your backyard, the ducks at the local park, or the pigeons on a downtown sidewalk, you are introducing artificial feed to wildlife. If this is something you enjoy I hope you are only using a natural food source, just as we are with octopus and herring for the wolf eels. Third and last wolf eels scrape across rocks and in and out of holes their whole lives. I find it rather hard to believe a gentle touch of my dive glove is going to injure an eel. If there is research that proves otherwise I will rethink my ways. If you've never been kissed by a wolfeel you don't know what you are missing.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey there Fisharefood!

Welcome to NWDC, and thanks for sharing your thoughts / opinions, and for listening to those of others. While I don't feed the wolfies myself I probably fall somewhere in between those who think everyone should do it and those who think you are totally wrong for doing so.

The Hot Dog thing is anecdotal... I think I've seen a video of wolfies being fed HotDogs... :vom: that couldn't be good, right?! ](*,) Herring and octo has to be better than hotdogs... although I'm still not convinced it's the greatest idea to feed the critters.

I have had the same thoughts that you expressed about the "fragility" (is that a word?) of wolf eels, knowing their scraping in and out of their dens most of their life as well. Don't quite know what I think about that.

Hmmm... Kissing a Wolf Eel?! Now there's something to think about this afternoone! :rr: I've kissed a 30lb King after boating it in Alaska, but a live wolfie? :-)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'm going to respond to only the points i raised and let others respond to theirs:
Fisharefood wrote:I forgot my mesh bag, I can assure you the plastic came back to the surface and was properly disposed of. I will make every effort to remember my mesh bag on all subsequent dives(so far so good).
thank you, i appreciate hearing that.
Fisharefood wrote:...wolf eels scrape across rocks and in and out of holes their whole lives. I find it rather hard to believe a gentle touch of my dive glove is going to injure an eel.
that is a very good point, and one i hadn't considered.

Fisharefood wrote:If you've never been kissed by a wolfeel you don't know what you are missing.
i'm sure that's true. i just hope whatever wolf eel does decide to kiss me decides to do it based on my good looks, not on a hot dog i'm waving in it's face.

and welcome to our forum! :salute:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote: i just hope whatever wolf eel does decide to kiss me decides to do it based on my good looks, not on a hot dog i'm waving in it's face.
Something tells me we better not hold our breath there Spat... :axe:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:
spatman wrote: i just hope whatever wolf eel does decide to kiss me decides to do it based on my good looks, not on a hot dog i'm waving in it's face.
Something tells me we better not hold our breath there Spat... :axe:
lol. you'd better bring a few herring along if you want some to see some action, too! :smt064
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

That last video shows some serious teasing with the food. Kudos for "real" fish food but not so much for the presentation. I'd hate to get a wolfie pissed at me. [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Fisharefood wrote:I can only hope that before you judge my dive partner/ videographer and myself that you can honestly say you do not and will not feed any wildlife in another habitat. Should you choose to feed the finches in your backyard, the ducks at the local park, or the pigeons on a downtown sidewalk, you are introducing artificial feed to wildlife.
I don't feed other animals; I think feeding the wolfeels is wrong. It would be a sad day when a wolfeel becomes reliant on divers to feed it and then dies during a period of high currents and bad exchanges because there were no divers there. This sad day might have already come.

Additionally, neither herring nor hotdogs are part of a wolfeel's natural diet. If you MUST feed the wolfies, I wish people would simply gather items from around their habitat that they would eat even if a diver didn't give it to them. If you can't find anything, then don't feed them.

I wish people would keep wildlife wild - above and below the water. This kind of discussion makes me sad.

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles.
Cwest
Avid Diver

Post by Cwest »

Sounder I am sorry this type of discussion makes you sad. I enjoy a discussion of this nature....When it is done respectfully.
I rarely post anymore, along with many divers I know because of the tone some disscusions take.That makes me sad.
I am not trying to change anyones opinion continuning this, I just disagree with some of you--respectfully--.
The wolf eels at Day Is.(where most of these videos were made) have been fed for years.I seriously don't think the few tides of the year that someone is there, who will feed them could have a serious effect on the population.
The amount of total food fed is not great either. You can't make them eat more than they want.They get their fill, cough up some herring scales, and go home.
If you want to try it out be early in the tidal exchange. They will be excited to see you.They will come out to meet you. Very cool experence I.M.O.
Conversly, if wolf eels freak you out go later in a cycle of exchanges, chances are someone has been there and fattened them up all already. They should have little interest in you. Other than you being a glowing orb in the water that keeps shining in their eyes.
If they are not used to being fed they will be very shy.

If you watch this video closely (you tube quality)near the end you can see this female's mate in the den as she forces her way in.He is getting bashed around like a puppies rag doll.I dont think a divers glove would harm them if they can take that.
The video starts with a wolf eel eating a rock crab. el natural well...almost

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvAJqcXFFgQ&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvAJqcXFFgQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Of course I reserve the right for this to be nothing but a big rationalization for doing something I enjoy. If shown how this was harming them in any way I wouldn't do it.

Well maybe not as much anyway.It is an awesome experence.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I LOVE wolf fish!!!! :supz:
Yay wolf fish!!!! :supz:
Yay Day Island Wall!!!! :supz:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Cwest wrote: I rarely post anymore, along with many divers I know because of the tone some disscusions take.That makes me sad.
You should post more! I find this board to be extremely friendly. Sure, someone might get offended but none of our intentions (I hope!) is to piss eachother off!
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I am with Diver C.. I just love the wolfies so much.. They are so damn cute it hurts to see sometimes... Ok I know that was really girlie but I can't help it cus I is a girl.. I just want to grab their little jowls and pinch um....

I am on the fence on the issue. One of the best diving experiances of my life was with Junior at Z's reef. He came out (we didn't have any food) and litterally layed on our laps and looked up (I know I am anthromophosising) and asked to be petted. The more we stroked him the more he flipped over and relaxed. I was thinking ... maybe being in the rocky cave he's itchy or it feels good to have something smooth and soft on him..

I don't think I would purposely bring food down to them.. But I might catch a crab or urchin and bring it over to them. If one was in the vicinity. And I do have bird feeders and I have brought bread for the ducks in the park. I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Thanks for posting the videos.. I love to watch the wolfies! They make me smile!!
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seth T. wrote:
Cwest wrote: I rarely post anymore, along with many divers I know because of the tone some disscusions take.That makes me sad.
You should post more!
I agree. You should post more.
Fisharefood
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Fisharefood »

Sounder, I completely agree with you hotdogs are not natural and you will never see me feeding them one. However in a brief cruise through Google some sites list "some fishes" as a food source. I didn't find one yet that lists which fish. My reasoning goes like this. Herring are one of the more abundant food fish that are consumed by many fish and mammals. They are near the bottom of the food chain. A wolfeels habitat is also a herrings habitat- especially on a big tidal movement. Wolfies love structure, so do herring, this is where they move out of the current. I certainly wouldn''t say their main food source is herring, however I would find it hard to believe that given the opportunity to suck one up as it swims by the den or is wounded by others feeding on the bait that they would pass up that meal. We have also chosen to only feed the ones that have been hand fed for many years, we do not feed at other sites we dive.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Great discussion,
since someone brought up feeding animals again I am going to bring up another animal to feed...The Sixgill! Do you think it's possible to chum and feed one of these sharks, like the bull, or reef shark in the carribean?? It seems to work in the tropics why not here.

Just a thought... Maybe we can get Manny Puig to ride it!
(Ever watch "Wild Boys")
Fisharefood
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Fisharefood »

Something to ponder- wolfeels have a few, often dull, teeth and crush their food. Sixgills have many very sharp teeth that could really make a mess of your drysuit. Who needs any more glue on their suit than they already have.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

If you feed one fish why not feed them all? Sixgills deserve a free lunch too!

Actually you can chum for sixgills and I suppose you could feed them by hand if you chose (I'm not encouraging this outside of science). The aquarium does it for their tagging and tissue sampling (chumming w/ feeding blocks). The trouble is that when they're anywhere near light, they are somewhat blinded as they're deep-water fish with, as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) permanently dilated eyes. They have been reported by a credible source as biting things they bump into so I would be hesitant to to get in their way or try to encourage them to come toward me for food. After all, it's a really big fish controlled by a tini-tiny little brain... :pale:

To the point about blinding the wolfies (or other critters) - the people I dive with are very careful to keep the HIDs away from the critters eyes. It hurts my eyes to get hit in the face with one so I can't imagine what a fish living in an otherwise dark area must feel like. Besides, if you shine your light on a fish, often they'll take off before you can show it to your buddy! Tom Nic and I often joke about the white-cane fish. :partyman:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Great discussion,
since someone brought up feeding animals again I am going to bring up another animal to feed...The Sixgill! Do you think it's possible to chum and feed one of these sharks,
I've heard that they like a nice plump chihuahua. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.