Halloween Dive at the MUK

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Halloween Dive at the MUK

Post by Pez7378 »

Joe and I had a nice dive at the MUK tonight. Max depth was about 72 fsw. Total dive time was around 80 minutes. And it was frigging COLD. comp says 50 deg. I say ICE!! I kept thinking of that video of Dr. Pyle on Helium. Man It's F#@#'n COLD down here. Holy S#$@ it's cold! Here is a sneak preview of some of our fantastic finds.....

The first pic is special, who can tell us what it is?
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

well since you posted a sweet pic of a skate in the photo section my guess is that its a skate??? if i win dude you owe me a beer at the diamond knot. now lets dive the walls again chris.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Beers are on me Howard!! =D> I never was any good at setting up these guessing games!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I saw one of these right in front of the hotel about 2 months ago. Is it common to see these other places? Or are they rarely spotted?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Dude, great shots, I love running across skates.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

dsteding wrote:Dude, great shots, I love running across skates.
Yuck. They squish all out and make a big mess. :bootyshake:
Last edited by Seth T. on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm envious! I have yet to see a skate. Nice pics btw!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I'd really like to see one, I was with Shehan the day he saw his, pulled on my fin and took off. I thought he was having an emergency, got our other buddy then surfaced not finding SM we got to shoer and watched his bubbles go all over.

Turns out that he was trying to show me the skate.

Oh well....
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LOVE the skate eye Pez! Very nice! :prayer:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Thanks Tom. I was wondering about the strange frilly thing. It's like its part of the pupil? It's really cool looking and the eyes look menacing. Really gives the critter character. We were so happy to see something new. Joe actually forgot how cold he was. Not me, I took my pictures, waited a minute for Joe and signalled to go up some. It's gotta be warmer at 40fsw!!
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

I didn't know they had such a strange looking eyeball. At first I though it was an artifact with a small seastar clinging to it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Halloween Dive at the MUK

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:Joe and I had a nice dive at the MUK tonight. Max depth was about 72 fsw. Total dive time was around 80 minutes. And it was frigging COLD. comp says 50 deg. I say ICE!! I kept thinking of that video of Dr. Pyle on Helium. Man It's F#@#'n COLD down here. Holy S#$@ it's cold!
Kwbyron and I were at the muk last night and I'll second the "Holy S#$@ it's cold!" comment. That's the first dive I've ever called duew to cold. My comp was reading 51 during a good chunk of the dive. Our dive time was about 1/2 of yours though.

At least the drysuit divers are getting cold too......
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:Joe and I had a nice dive at the MUK tonight. Max depth was about 72 fsw. Total dive time was around 80 minutes. And it was frigging COLD. comp says 50 deg. I say ICE!! I kept thinking of that video of Dr. Pyle on Helium. Man It's F#@#'n COLD down here. Holy S#$@ it's cold!
Kwbyron and I were at the muk last night and I'll second the "Holy S#$@ it's cold!" comment. That's the first dive I've ever called duew to cold. My comp was reading 51 during a good chunk of the dive. Our dive time was about 1/2 of yours though.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Pez7378 wrote: And it was frigging COLD. comp says 50 deg. I say ICE!! I kept thinking of that video of Dr. Pyle on Helium. Man It's F#@#'n COLD down here. Holy S#$@ it's cold!

I noticed that too, I thought it was me getting old, but last few dives I feel like calling the dive before my air gets low.. :pale:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I haven't had the chance to look at my pictures yet, but I think they're rather blurry due to all the shivering.....
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I guess now I need to invest in an Argon bottle...
Looking for dive buddies

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:I haven't had the chance to look at my pictures yet, but I think they're rather blurry due to all the shivering.....
Oh come on, it wasn't THAT cold! :-({|=
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I haven't had the chance to look at my pictures yet, but I think they're rather blurry due to all the shivering.....
Oh come on, it wasn't THAT cold! :-({|=
Said the guy doing 80 minute dives in a wetsuit. I think by consensus we have all agreed that you have a bizzare internal heater. :smt064
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I havent dove with Seth, but I don't think I would have a problem being wet for that long, If I could make mt air last that long that is. My problem is stripping out of the suit post dive.

Then again, I do tend to run a little warm, possibly due to the extra insulation.
Looking for dive buddies

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

This summer I did some dives that were a little over an hour without much trouble, and I certainly didn't get cold. It's amazing the difference 7 or 8 degrees makes in water temperature. My dive in the lake on tuesday was ~57, and the dive was about the same length as Thursday's, and I wasn't even remotely uncomfortable.

You're right though, stripping out of it is the worst by far. Makes you feel like trying this - :violent2:

Jake
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote: Said the guy doing 80 minute dives in a wetsuit. I think by consensus we have all agreed that you have a bizzare internal heater. :smt064
Hey now, it was 93 minutes. Get your facts straight! :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote: Said the guy doing 80 minute dives in a wetsuit. I think by consensus we have all agreed that you have a bizzare internal heater. :smt064
Hey now, it was 93 minutes. Get your facts straight! :bootyshake:
My bad. :prayer:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Seth dude, 93 minutes? You know that you should take a breath now and then. Try using both lungs like the rest of us.

I kill me....
Looking for dive buddies

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwbrewer wrote:At least the drysuit divers are getting cold too......
Yes, but the dry suit divers can put on a heavier undergarment and a few extra pounds of weight! \:D/ I think it's just about time to switch from the Summer undergarments to Winter! It IS November after all!

When we go to Sitka this Winter temps will be in the mid to lower 40's... :pale: I remember diving in the Hood near a river mouth and the temp being 38 degrees. I think that's about as cold as I want to get!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

well chris and joe, You missed out on all the Halloween candy that night... Loosers... :supz: