How to start CCR?

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Seth T.
Amphibian

How to start CCR?

Post by Seth T. »

So, I'd like to eventually start tech diving and CCRs are just way too cool. How and where do I start? Do I have to get advanced trimix certified on OC before starting CCRs or can I start training right off the bat on CCRs?

John's Advanced Diver Magazine has articles on some wicked wrecks waaay down there (250+ FSW) that I just have to dive some day . CCRs look to be the ticket.

Info please! Where did you hardcore CCR techies start? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: How to start CCR?

Post by Zen Diver »

Seth T. wrote: John's Advanced Diver Magazine has articles on some wicked wrecks waaay down there (250+ FSW) that I just have to dive some day . CCRs look to be the ticket.

:bounce:
And you think Cave Divers are "nucking futs?"

-Valerie :book:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well- you don't need trimix to start- I cancelled my OC trimix class this summer in order to put the money towards my CCR. I've seen divers with 30 logged OC dives take the training, as a matter of fact. I'd start trying to learn as much as possible about the different units, and then start selling your blood and any extra body organs you aren't currently using on the black market in order to pay for one.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

For Mod 1, advanced nitrox is required...that's about it. And often you can get advanced nitrox added to mod 1 for a nominal fee.

I would try out all the units you can, figure out weather you want to go fully automatic or manual, new or used and figure out the financing and just go for it! You won't regret it for the kind of diving you want to do...CCR's open a lot of doors.

george
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

It's simple -

1. Call Mel (scubagrunt)

That's it you're done!

Seriously, Since you are in the Seattle area you should touch base with her and she can fill you in on what you need to do.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Seth T.
Amphibian

Re: How to start CCR?

Post by Seth T. »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:
And you think Cave Divers are "nucking futs?"

-Valerie :book: