Dead Seal at Alki Cove 2

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Dead Seal at Alki Cove 2

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Penopolypants and I were diving at cove 2 last night. On our way out, we ran into a dead seal that looked a lot like junior. Pretty dissapointing thing to see. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this.

Diver_C said that last years "junior" was found dead also, but this one looked a lot like what I remember junior looking like. I know harbor seals look alike, but the dimensions seemed pretty close. Sad thing to see.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Dead Seal at Alki Cove 2

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:Penopolypants and I were diving at cove 2 last night. On our way out, we ran into a dead seal that looked a lot like junior. Pretty dissapointing thing to see. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this.

Diver_C said that last years "junior" was found dead also, but this one looked a lot like what I remember junior looking like. I know harbor seals look alike, but the dimensions seemed pretty close. Sad thing to see.
"Junior" ... or at least, the seal I gave that name to ... would be three years old now, and rather large. He's got a darker pelt than most other harbor seals ... that's about the only way I could recognize him anymore. Well, that and his behavior ... he still acts like I'm either his dad or his favorite toy. I haven't seen him yet this year, although I have seen his mom (aka "mom") when Chris, Penelope, Sounder, and I were doing the latest Rescue class. She had a new pup at the time.

There are several resident seals in the coves ... and this is the time of year they're returning for the winter. I'm not sure which one died ... I didn't see the body, and I can't identify most of them anyway. Mom I know because of the scars on her back.

Pups have a fairly high mortality rate. We found a dead one in Cove 3 last year too ... I think it was the same one that I got pictures of playing with Colleen's fins just a week or so before I found the body.

Sad ... but that's how it goes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Yeah, I made that connection too. I wonder...
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

There have been several Harbor Seals found recently that have been shot. Sad.

For what it's worth we're not seeing Mom and her offspring at Cove 2. Harbor Seal's take off on their own after they are weened (4-6 weeks). They are social so we are just seeing a younger Harbor Seal hanging out with older Harbor Seals.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

gcbryan wrote:There have been several Harbor Seals found recently that have been shot. Sad.
Have these been reported to NOAA Fisheries?
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

dsteding wrote:
gcbryan wrote:There have been several Harbor Seals found recently that have been shot. Sad.
Have these been reported to NOAA Fisheries?
Don't know. I'm just referring to what I've read lately.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I dove Cove 2 on Sunday and found the dead seal.. Luckily the new divers that were with us didn't see him or they might have gotten really upset. As it was, I was pretty upset from seeing him.. He looked like a pup to me, but I have only encountered the harbor seals a few times last winter so couldn't really tell.. He just looked thinner than I remember the others to be.. If you take a 270 heading towards the beach from the back side of the honeybear you would probably run right over him... =(
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

A few weeks ago while diving Cove 2, I noticed very thick nets lying on the bottom at about 30 ft. I'm guessing as it has been a while. I remember thinking at the time that I had never seen nets at Cove 2. Any one else?
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

he was still there on the 17th when i dove. a star fish was helping nature take its course, pretty sad. when i saw him, I thought about that story too and was trying to picture the picture from the news story.

i also heard recently that someone had seen the glass turtle at cove II in the last week or two, so maybe it is still there.
HydroGirl
Avid Diver

Post by HydroGirl »

On Saturday December 1st I saw a small harbor seal dead at cove 2. It was missing it’s head and fins. Someone called the humane society and they picked it up. I was told that they also picked up a much larger seal off cove 1 the previous weekend. Has anyone heard about these incidents? It seems a little suspicious.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

HydroGirl wrote:On Saturday December 1st I saw a small harbor seal dead at cove 2. It was missing it’s head and fins. Someone called the humane society and they picked it up. I was told that they also picked up a much larger seal off cove 1 the previous weekend. Has anyone heard about these incidents? It seems a little suspicious.
Yep ... the small seal was washed up on the rocks when we exited the water on Saturday. Someone was there picking it up a few minutes later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

~50% of seal pups die in the first year. This year was fairly productive for pups so I'm not all that surprised that some carcasses have been found. Doug and I found one over by Blakely Rock a few weeks ago.