Specialties

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Re: not so special class

Post by Seth T. »

newdiveroldfart wrote: I'm having a difficult time finding a class or instructor. :book:
Really? Virtually every instructor can give you a drysuit orientation ($60, no cert card) and many can give the full drysuit speciality ($150, cert card).
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
al NDOF
Avid Diver

Post by al NDOF »

Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Is that an offer? I don't need a certification just the Information and $60 is reasonable.

Nov 24th or 25th works for me. \:D/
thanks
al
If you're not havin fun, you're doin somthin wrong
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

newdiveroldfart wrote: I don't need a certification just the Information and $60 is reasonable.

thanks
al

if you get something going on the 24th, i'd like to join you. i did the first part of the class (pool and written test), and just need the dive to finish my cert. i'd be happy to leave the LDS i took the class with and meet a different instructor for the dive portion.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

newdiveroldfart wrote:Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Is that an offer? I don't need a certification just the Information and $60 is reasonable.

thanks
al
No, no. I'm not an instructor. Sorry. I'd be happy to dive with you though! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote:The DPV class is really basic intro to DPV type stuff geared toward the common scooters. There seems to be enough meat in it just looking at the manual that someone who knows scooters could make it a fun and a good learning experience. There are only 2 dives required to complete the course.

Here's the summary

COURSE OVERVIEW
This course covers the knowledge and techniques for diving with an underwater
propulsion vehicle. To conduct a DPV Diver course, include the
following:
1. The planning, organization, procedures, techniques, problems,
and hazards of diving with a underwater propulsion
vehicle.
2. Equipment considerations including but not limited to battery
care, maintenance and precautions.
3. Proper procedures for: determining a turnaround point, vehicle
failure, runaway motor, descents and ascents and avoiding
propeller entanglements.
4. Techniques to avoid harming fragile aquatic life.
5. Techniques for entering and exiting the water with a DPV.
Given a good instructor that actually sounds like a fairly complete class. 2 dives could be ok, or could be a tad short IMO. Do you know how many days are typically included?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

It's got a recommended 12 hours for the course with a minimum 2 dives.

It's written as a recreational course but like I said someone with a good DPV background could make alot out of it.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Avid Diver

Post by al NDOF »

No, no. I'm not an instructor. Sorry. I'd be happy to dive with you though! :partyman:[/quote]

LOL Would u b happy telling me everything u know about diving a dry suit? :prayer:

Spatman from Portland has the same problem and an open 24th.

thanks
al
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote:It's got a recommended 12 hours for the course with a minimum 2 dives.

It's written as a recreational course but like I said someone with a good DPV background could make alot out of it.

Dave
I'm actually signed up for a DPV class in Jan, but its through NAUI. So I was just comparing curricula. Mines 2.5 to 3 days and 4 dives.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I had a couple Tekna's I was going to put to use but decided to sell them awhile back to fund the KISS.

As far as specialties go, in 19 years of diving, I've collected about 50 cards and not a single one is from me taking a specialty course, even though about 15 of them are specialty instructor cards.

As far as teaching specialties, the only one I teach on a regular basis is dry suit.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have a short Gavin and a Mako which I've gotten about 25 dives on. They are fun, but we are trying to do more exploration diving and getting some feedback on "what we don't know that we don't know" and to polish our scooter skills seemed worthwhile. Skill=speed=less battery consumption along with better teamwork.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

drysuit orientation

Post by Grateful Diver »

newdiveroldfart and spatman ... if you two guys want a drysuit orientation and dive on the 24th, I'd be happy to do it for ya.

Shoot me a PM if interested ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
al NDOF
Avid Diver

Post by al NDOF »

Thanks
Last edited by al NDOF on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
al NDOF
Avid Diver

Post by al NDOF »

Spatman is comming up from Portland and would like a South sound dive.

Name a good dive location and let's do it!!

Thanks =D> =D> =D>
al
angelica
Getting To Know Folks

Post by angelica »

i've always wanted to try RESCUE DIVING. :salute:
has anyone here ever took up classes on that? is it even worth a try?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's not clear to me from your post, whether you are thinking of Rescue Diver, which is a class to give you some skills to deal with in-water emergencies you might face while diving, or Public Safety Diving, which is the kind of thing they did when the bridge came down back East. They're entirely different animals.

I did the PADI Rescue class, and it was excellent, and I think everybody who dives should take a similar class.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattwave's NAUI rescue class now includes material on CCRs which seems like a big plus over some of alternative's (which probably have zero info on rebreather's). PM him for the info.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

CaptnJack wrote:Mattwave's NAUI rescue class now includes material on CCRs which seems like a big plus over some of alternative's (which probably have zero info on rebreather's). PM him for the info.
Info on how to rescue buddies on rebreathers? That's awesome!