HOWDY

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

HOWDY

Post by texdiveguy »

Well I bet you can tell already I am not from the NW area.

Brand new to this board, I am hoping that in hanging out I will gain some insights as to the dive opportunities that await the NW newbie visiting diver.

Look forward to reading current and past post.

Wishing each of you safe and fun diving!!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: HOWDY

Post by Grateful Diver »

texdiveguy wrote:Well I bet you can tell already I am not from the NW area.

Brand new to this board, I am hoping that in hanging out I will gain some insights as to the dive opportunities that await the NW newbie visiting diver.

Welcome to the friendliest dive club in the Pacific Northwest ... :supz: You'll find some familiar "faces" here.

Lots of dive opportunities await you here ... there are some great shore dives that are easily accessible from just about anywhere in the greater Pugetropolitan area. Water temps don't vary much from summer (cold) to winter (friggen' cold) ... and many of us prefer winter diving 'cuz it's less crowded and there's no plankton blooms to deal with.

Further north, the San Juan Islands offer great diving ... and you can usually day-trip it to a charter out of Anacortes. For those long week-ends and multi-day getaways, Vancouver Island offers some of the best cold-water diving on the planet.

Best of all ... it ain't Texas ... (OK, just kidding) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Hey Tex! Glad you found us and welcome to the PNW. Its a long way from home but I think you will like it here very much. This is a great group of people here. Enjoy your visit and the diving
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Thanks fellows for the warm welcome and info.. I do look forward to a spin up NW in the future...I have never travel in that part of our wonderful USA!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Welcome! NW diving is true diving! None of this 85 degree, 200 foot viz crap like in the tropics! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Seth T. wrote:Welcome! NW diving is true diving! None of this 85 degree, 200 foot viz crap like in the tropics! :partyman:
Thats for me!!!! \:D/ =D> Vis is to highly over rated anyways.... :notworthy:
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

welcome tex, i do recognize the name from the tds. let us know when your coming up so i can place a order for some smoked brisket!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Burntchef wrote:welcome tex, i do recognize the name from the tds. let us know when your coming up so i can place a order for some smoked brisket!
LOL...I will do! :-)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

So Tex, when are you headed up this way? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

Vis is over rated.. When your talking diving Puget Sound.

Some of the best in the world (IMHO).

The critters are amazing here. Waters not cold if you have the proper gear.

You won't find a nicer group of divers anywhere.

Let us know when your heading our way. I am sure a few of us will be happy to take you out and show off Puget Sound.
You have to see our Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf Eels for yourself.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Cold_H2O wrote: Waters not cold if you have the proper gear.
Yep; a 3mm shorty will be plenty. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

YES! Someone else who uses the word "Howdy!"
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

"You can say THAT again!" #-o

(double post) ](*,)
Last edited by Sounder on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Thanks again guys for the nice words......I am thinking late spring 08' at this point, as I will be diving The Lakes later in the summer for a few weeks.

I will defl. want to hook-up with you folks whom are experienced NW divers....I will be as green as they come.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Tex! You'll find no shortage of great folks to dive with up here... these folks DIVE!

Did you ever dive the Flower Garden Banks in your time in the Lone Star State? Thinking about trying to do that in May when I'm in Houston... short jaunt to San Antonio and the charter for the 100 mile trip!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Tom Nic wrote:Welcome Tex! You'll find no shortage of great folks to dive with up here... these folks DIVE!

Did you ever dive the Flower Garden Banks in your time in the Lone Star State? Thinking about trying to do that in May when I'm in Houston... short jaunt to San Antonio and the charter for the 100 mile trip!
Tom.... HI

Yes I have dove the Flower Gardens off the Texas coast about 110 miles in the GoM. I dive off the MVSpree with Capt. Frank and crew. It is a great 2-3 night trek with plenty of diving....best done on nitrox and that gas cost is included in the charter fee. May will be an ok time usually...the GoM has a mindset all her own. Hope you get to make the outing...its fun and good food and nice crew and boat. :)

http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/Default ... ulf_Diving
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks Tex!

I'll check out the link you provided.

I've seen some charters but nitrox was not mentioned, much to my chagrin and surprise. Here's hopeing they have larger steel tanks available as well. I'm spoiled, but I'd hate to be doing those dives on an aluminum 80!

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sea of Green

Re: HOWDY

Post by Sea of Green »

texdiveguy wrote:Well I bet you can tell already I am not from the NW area.

Definitely no shortage of willing dive guides up here! Plenty of great dive sites, many accessible from shore, i.e. FREE diving!