Cave Diving in the Riviera Maya

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
boydski
Submariner

Cave Diving in the Riviera Maya

Post by boydski »

I just returned from two weeks of Cave Diving in Mexico ( my Thanksgiving Dives ) and thought this sunny friday would be a good day to post some of my favorite photos from the trip.

I was very fortunate to be able to enjoy 15 extended cave dives over two weeks. Most of the dives were between two and three hours in length, including a couple of dives that we swam more than a mile. Whew, my calves are still complaining!!

The first photo is from the Cavernas De Los Colmillos line, past Cuzan Nah in the Sak Actun system ( Grand Cenote Entrance).
The Cuzan Nah Loop is definitely the most photogenic dive in Mexico and I never get tired of it.

The second photo is a couple of Mayan Water Pots in the Chan Hol system. Chan Hol Cenote means "small hole cenote", which is what the entrance is. You crawl in through a relatively small mud puddle which is barely deeper than your knees. These pots are probably less than 5000 years old as they are relatively shallow.

The third photo is from the Nahoch Na Chich system (Bird Cage system), which was recently connected to Sac Aktun. This is about 3000' back just before you get to the Christmas Tree formation. Nahooch is very beautiful, but very, very delicate and really shallow.

The last photo isn't the best photo, but it was the most interesting dive for me. On the left side of the photo are the remains of an ancient Mayan, you can see the skull and jaw. There were five skeletons removed from this area (now in Museums) that were carbon dated to about 8500 years ago. There is a huge fire pit nearby, with scorched walls and ceiling, and the generally intact condition of the remains make me wonder if carbon monoxide poisening didn't take the lives of this old mayan family.

System Naranjal (Jailhouse Cenote). You should be able to click on the pictures for a larger image.

Have a great weekend!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice pics Scott!

There's an Xas tree off the left line in NoHoch I think (forget that line's name). Its noticable on the exit more so than on the entry (just based on orientation). That was my virginal Xmas tree so its still in my head :)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Very nice pics- sounds like you had a great trip!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Scott, I've always loved your pictures, as you know! These just give me the stronger urge to get back there (not 'til April).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Stunningly beautiful shots Scott, I'm in awe (and envious!). Did you require any kind of special permission to dive the sites where there are human remains? To pass by 8500 year old skeletons would be incredible.

-Valerie
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Fantastic pics Scott! So beautiful and surreal... I can see the lure of cave diving - and the necessity of the best of training and equipment. - 2-3 hour dives?! 3,000'+ back?! Wow... :smt119
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Did you require any kind of special permission to dive the sites where there are human remains? To pass by 8500 year old skeletons would be incredible.

-Valerie
Hi Valerie,

The only special permission you need is from the land owner. Access to some of the more "restricted" sites in Mexico is mostly about who you know (not uncommon in life). Fortunately, the cave community down there is pretty small, so it is easy to know most of the active divers, which are generally very helpful when asked. Most sites require payment of a small fee to the landowner (typically $6-10) and may require a key.

CaptnJack wrote:There's an Xas tree off the left line in NoHoch I think (forget that line's name). Its noticable on the exit more so than on the entry (just based on orientation). That was my virginal Xmas tree so its still in my head :)
Thanks Richard,

We always try to save Nahoch for our last day. Mostly because it is shallow, but also because it is tryly a spectacular dive. I'll try to post a photo of the Xmas tree this evening. There are several in Nahoch, and as Richard states, they really are beautiful.

The one we went back to photograph isn't far off the main line, but it IS a long way back. Even taking the shortcut, you're still looking at about 75-80 minutes of penetration at a fast swim just to get there.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There are remains in alot of systems. Distrurbing them is a federal crime and I'm sure none of us wanna see the insides of a MX jail. They are not publicized, but not exactly secret if you know where to look and ask. Special landowner permissions or fees are required for various sites, but nothing specific to artifacts which are just about everywhere.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote:There are remains in alot of systems. Distrurbing them is a federal crime and I'm sure none of us wanna see the insides of a MX jail. They are not publicized, but not exactly secret if you know where to look and ask. Special landowner permissions or fees are required for various sites, but nothing specific to artifacts which are just about everywhere.
Just to reinforce what Richard said, there are in fact a lot of artifacts in the caves. I think we saw mayan bones on 5 of the 15 dives that we did. However, they are extremely fragile, and we are very careful to never touch, nor even swim over the top of the bones.

At one of the sites, I was talking to one of the regions top exploration divers who told me that he made a horrible mistake one time in the past by trying to reposition a skull in order to take a better photograph. It looked solid, but was upside down, and the second he touched it, it simply disintegrated into so much dust.

Unfortunately, not all divers seem to understand this, and sometimes they take "trophies" from the caves. This tends to keep the locations of some of the artifacts rather secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

wow, those a beautiful pics, especially that one from Nahoch Na Chich. there is no way i would be able to dive a site like that at my current skill level, and probably not for quite some time. so thanks for letting us (well, at least me) dive vicariously through your experiences!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tom Nic wrote:Fantastic pics Scott! So beautiful and surreal... I can see the lure of cave diving - and the necessity of the best of training and equipment. - 2-3 hour dives?! 3,000'+ back?! Wow... :smt119
NoHoch Na Chich (=the giant birdcage) is about 20ft deep on average so you can go a long ways on even a small amount of gas from double tanks. The furthest I went was about 1200ft, a few hundred feet past "Heaven's Gate" on the central mainline. We dove on Parker's and Turner's lines too, comparable distances or slightly less. Anyway we did that ~1200ft penetration on 25cf of gas (500psi in double 80s -25cf out too). Took about 65 mins or so.

The floor there is deep silt and there's no way you could flutter kick without trashing the place. In Scott's photo you can see the pieces of the ceiling which have been dislodged by bubbles over the years. So you really need to stay on the line ala a hiking trail to keep the human impact zone small. Nevermind the fact that you can't always see the walls (too wide) and if you got off the line you might never find it again even with a 150ft safety spool.

I love that place, can't wait for February's trip!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Beautiful photographs, not the easiest place to illuminate, you did excellent job of it.. Thanks for sharing =D>
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Holy cow! Awesome pictures Scott!

We start Cave 1 down there 6 weeks from today. Now I'm really excited!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Fantastic images, Scott ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
boydski
Submariner

More Nahoch Images

Post by boydski »

Here are a few more photos from Nahoch, which is really an incredible place to dive. As Richard stated, there are lots of broken stalagtites that are dislogded by divers bubbles or fin kicks. This is one of the few caves where you can't even "pull and glide" through restrictions by grabbing onto solid cave structure. Most of what appears to be solid is sitting in soft sand and silt, which moves very easily if touched.

The first photo is the "Christmas Tree" that we went back to photograph. Maybe I can get Jan to put some lights on the tree for me???

The second photo is another famous feature along the same path. It is called the "Whitehouse" and does resemble its famous cousing in D.C.

The third photo is another feature along the same "shortcut" line. Named the same as the system itself, this decoration is called the "Bird Cage".

The last photo is one of the many beautiful decorations in NaHoch. No name, but it really is pretty in that system.

Solitude Diver
Avid Diver

Post by Solitude Diver »

Incredible!

I have never really seen much in the way of cave pics other than magazines every now and then.

I was planning on going to Mexico to do the full cave training circuit this coming year, but only to improve my wreck diving skills. I never realized how awesome they are inside. I now have a whole new inspiration for going. I've been missing out.

Thanks for sharing.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow. Never thought I'd be vaguely interested in cave diving, but the beauty is truly awe-inspiring.

Question - are any of these system "open" for the most part in the sense that you don't have to squeeze through tiny places barely large enough to fit in to penetrate them? :-)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Tom Nic wrote:Question - are any of these system "open" for the most part in the sense that you don't have to squeeze through tiny places barely large enough to fit in to penetrate them? :-)
Hi Tom,

Many of the more popular systems have "Huge" passages that do not require going through restrictions. Some are big enough to fly an airplane through (if they weren' full of water). For example the main line in Chac Mool has the world's largest dripstone, which is somehing like 90' tall ( a giant fang shaped stalagtite if you will), at a location called "Monster House".

However, most of the really amazing and delicate formations require that you negotiate a few restrictions to get there. Restrictions aren't really that bad, you're weightless, so can easily "glide" through. :laughing3:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That is a fine lookin' + timely Xmas tree! Have you ever seen them anyplace but NoHoch? My experience isn't that broad to know if they are found/seen elsewhere.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote:That is a fine lookin' + timely Xmas tree! Have you ever seen them anyplace but NoHoch? My experience isn't that broad to know if they are found/seen elsewhere.
Thanks Richard.

No, I have not seen the Xmas trees anywhere other than Nahoch. In the area where the picture above was taken, there are a bunch of them, but that one is the biggest and is about 25' tall.

The most amazing features in NaHoch are the Helectites, which were too small to really photograph well with the fisheye lens I was using. The Helectites form from dripping limestone in very windy caves, which cause the formation of decorations that turn up, defying gravity. Many look like upside down hawk's beaks, but some are like flower petals or twisting spirals.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Scott, I am doing this because you asked. It pains me to mess up such beautiful photo with Christmas lights, but here it is anyway - Merry Christmas ! Jan

http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I had forgotten about the wispy little curly cues. I have never seen them on the Xmas trees (cause they wouldn't form by water the same way by and large) but they are almost like snowflakes!! Each one different and delicate.
Solitude Diver
Avid Diver

Post by Solitude Diver »

That's great!
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Jan K wrote:Scott, I am doing this because you asked. It pains me to mess up such beautiful photo with Christmas lights, but here it is anyway - Merry Christmas ! Jan
AWESOME!!!!! The perfect christmas card photo!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I can take the photos, but don't have the skills you have with the artwork! Wow!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Fantastic embellishments Jan! We are so blessed to have such talent here :prayer:

Scott, what were your average depths, or did it vary as much as OW diving?

-Valerie