Sund Rock-Hwy 101

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
gcbryan
Submariner

Sund Rock-Hwy 101

Post by gcbryan »

Has anyone been to Sund Rock in the last few days from Seattle? I know that certain parts of Hwy 101 are closed. I'm wondering if Hwy 101 from Hoodsport north are still open for those of us who take the ferry across at Edmonds and go that way?
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

I don't know that I ever did a proper introduction on this board, but I regularly check in. My name is Don, my wife Diane and I have run the dive charter "Pacific Adventure" out of Pleasant Harbor on Hood Canal for the past 6+ years.

As of this morning (Saturday 12/8) Hwy 101 was closed from South of Hoodsport to Eagle Creek north of Hoodsport. I'd call Hoodsport & Dive for updated info. They'll be able to tell you if you can get to Sund Rock from the south. Right now you can't get there from the north. Some locals I know tried to drive south this morning. Today State Patrol was issuing tickets to anyone without an address within the closed area if they tried to go around the "road closed" signs. I drove the road yesterday and there are several spots with heavy equipment clearing the debris, and more spots where the road was half blocked that they haven't been able to attack yet. South Shore road (hwy 106 I think) is closed as well for the same reasons. It's a pretty big mess and I can only hope the roads won't need major work after the mud and trees are cleared off. I cancelled my trip for Sunday because my Portland divers can't get here.
Vis today at Pinnacle and Pulali West Wall was not great. Pinnacle was 1-5 down to 60+ feet. West Wall was a little better, maybe 10 below 40 feet. It will take a few days of calm dry weather for the muck to settle out. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to visit the new grandson.
don
Pacific Adventure
http://www.pacadventure.com
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Thanks for the info Don. My dive buddy canceled for today so I didn't end up calling the dive shop for more current info. I guess my dive was doomed from the start in more ways than one.

It sounds like quite the mess! I hope things improve quickly for your sake.

Gray
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

don wrote:I don't know that I ever did a proper introduction on this board, but I regularly check in. My name is Don, my wife Diane and I have run the dive charter "Pacific Adventure" out of Pleasant Harbor on Hood Canal for the past 6+ years.
Thanks for the report Don, and welcome to the board (if a bit belatedly). I've been meaning to get a trip together on your boat for a while, keep us posted on when the roads (and vis) improve over there.

-Doug
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Don! Welcome! It's about time you made it over here.... =D>

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey Don! I've been telling you about this board long enough! Glad you finally found us!!

Hey Steding - Don's boat is my FAVORITE charter operation in the entire Northwest!!! He loves it when you shoot a bag, loves divers who drill and train, and gives the best site orientations around... "go on this heading, down to this depth, turn right, then look for the big boulder with the smaller rock on top, say hi to the vermillion RF, then go 15 feet due south and you'll find the wolfeel condos." ... and afte ryou shoot your bag, do your stops, and surface to find the boat RIGHT there waiting for you, you hand your various bottles, scooters, etc up to him or Diane and easily come aboard - to the smell of delicious chicken noodle soup (not the "from the can kind" ... this is the BEST!), fresh baked bread sticks, hot dogs, and after the last dive, fresh baked cookies!!! This is the boat I'll DM for first!

I think we might need to do an NWDC trip on Don's boat sometime soon. You'll be hooked, and it's an easy drive from either the Edmonds/Kingston or Seattle/Bainbridge (the one I usually take) ferry.

So if that's not a plug to head out to Hood Canal, I don't know what else is. Don and Diane kick ass and they run a top-shelf operation!

Welcome Don, once again! Glad you found us!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

don wrote:I don't know that I ever did a proper introduction on this board, but I regularly check in. My name is Don, my wife Diane and I have run the dive charter "Pacific Adventure" out of Pleasant Harbor on Hood Canal for the past 6+ years.

As of this morning (Saturday 12/8) Hwy 101 was closed from South of Hoodsport to Eagle Creek north of Hoodsport. I'd call Hoodsport & Dive for updated info. They'll be able to tell you if you can get to Sund Rock from the south. Right now you can't get there from the north. Some locals I know tried to drive south this morning. Today State Patrol was issuing tickets to anyone without an address within the closed area if they tried to go around the "road closed" signs. I drove the road yesterday and there are several spots with heavy equipment clearing the debris, and more spots where the road was half blocked that they haven't been able to attack yet. South Shore road (hwy 106 I think) is closed as well for the same reasons. It's a pretty big mess and I can only hope the roads won't need major work after the mud and trees are cleared off. I cancelled my trip for Sunday because my Portland divers can't get here.
Vis today at Pinnacle and Pulali West Wall was not great. Pinnacle was 1-5 down to 60+ feet. West Wall was a little better, maybe 10 below 40 feet. It will take a few days of calm dry weather for the muck to settle out. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to visit the new grandson.
don
Pacific Adventure

Hi, Don, welcome to the board! I'm sure you don't remember, but I did some of my AOW dives off your boat a couple years ago. I've been meaning to come back down and dive with you ever since- I'll have to do something about that, soon.

And I will also vouch that Don and Dianne run a great charter- nobody knows the Hood Canal better than them!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ooops- and by the way, congratulations on the new grandson, and thanks for filling us in on local road/ water conditions!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

I thank everyone for the kind words! I know a lot of the NWD Club members have been on the boat with us over the years. I found you site long ago and regularly check in to read the posts, it helps me keep up with what's happening in the rest of The Sound. I'll keep you posted on how the vis clears up, and on progress getting hwy 101 opened. I hope we'll see more of you in the future, a club weekend including some boat dives sounds like a great idea!
don
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Here's the latest on HWY 101 around Hoodsport. Locals in Brinnon have told me the road should be open to all traffic from 7 or 8am until 7pm starting tomorrow (saturday 12/15). I haven't confirmed that info personally but believe my source is good. For vis, I haven't been in the water since last weekend but took the boat out today to look around. The surface looks much better in the open water, I can see the bottom at 12-15 feet in the harbor. I expect there will still be a mucky layer around 30-40 but it seems to be MUCH better that last weekend. I'll know more tomorrow after our trip.
don