oms rebreather

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
jixxer1
Getting To Know Folks

oms rebreather

Post by jixxer1 »

I am curious to see how OMS does in the Rebreather World

http://omsdive.com/ccr.html
jixxer1
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: oms rebreather

Post by John Rawlings »

jixxer1 wrote:I am curious to see how OMS does in the Rebreather World

http://omsdive.com/ccr.html
It's been "in development" for the past two years or more. Still, I agree with you....I'd like to see how they do. With CCRs becoming more "mainstream" it's always good to have competition and innovation moving things along.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

It's interesting, I though last year they were going to have it out by now. Now they are saying late next year.

From what I gathered they have one or two guys at OMS actually working on it and it's not a very high priority.

The one that will really be interesting is the new CIS-Lunar MK VI being marketed by Poseidon. They are really marketing it as foolproof. It seems kinda scary to me only 1 cell and a pre-packed scrubber.

I really like this quote
"The canister always outlast the O2 tank. If you replace your canister when filling your O2 tank you will always be safe. "

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Poseiden making MkVs (in lots of 200 I think) is really interesting, although I wonder if anyone will actually bite on that. The MkVI is kinda scary in its "stripped down" nature and their marketing approach has a bit too much of the "trust us we designed out all the risk" pitch.

The OMS unit seems like a "me too" entry, but hey what do I know.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

The OMS rebreather looks pretty neat- it's supposedly going to be the first unit that can lower the P02 in the loop (electronically), and it looks like whoever designed it was trying to make it look bulletproof and military, like the Meg. We'll see- when and if it ever comes out. The Poseidon unit? I dunno- supposedly, one of the reasons the Cis-Lunars weren't viable was the damn price tag- 20,000$, but the Ouroburous sells for about that much, and they seem to be doing well.
With just under 20 hours on my COPIS, I'm a true believer in mCCRs right now- no offense to my eCCR brothers and sisters, but I'm quite happy being my own computer, and I can't see spending the extra dough for a solenoid and a computer to run the silly thing. I'll be the first to point out that my preferences may change and evolve over time, just as they did with open circuit diving, but we shall see.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Rebreathers have been around alot longer than scuba. The reality is that they are so simple the anybody about half mechically inclined could build one in their garage without much thought and mostly with parts from Home Depot or REI.

On my Classic Kiss, the counterlungs are MSR water bladders. I bought a spare at REI. Many of the other parts are standard Swaglok parts, the scrubber is PVC Conduit. The head took some design and a Mill but access to that type of thing is much easier now than it was a few years ago. Heck with Emachineshop.com you can design anything you want.

My guess is that as rebreathers start to increase in popularity, they will be like drysuits were in the late 80's early 90's. Once the industry realized that the market was going that way, almost every manufacture was making one. Most of them were junk like cheesy urethane coated nylon or poorly put together neoprene but they were everywhere.

Now here we are 20 years later and the quality ones survived and the junk got discontinued.

The scary thing about rebreathers is that junk quality won't get you wet and cold, it'll get you dead.

The OMS rebreather is vaporware at this point. It doesn't appear that they are any closer to release now than they were this time last year. It's setup to be used with the OMS Trimix computer which is also vaporware at this point. I'm not sure I need a solenoid to lower PO2 seems like another thing to go wrong. Thats why I have an ADV. I'm not an eCCR diver but it seems like with all these solenoids firing left and right you've lost control of what's going on. Can you imagine the loop is the O2 solenoid stuck and then the Dil solenoid immediatly jumped in to try to lower the PO2? The thing would go nuts.

I could see myself owning both an eCCR and mCCR down the road, but I don't think at this point my ECCR choice would be OMS. It would no doubt be black and made in the PNW. :supz:

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote:I'm not sure I need a solenoid to lower PO2 seems like another thing to go wrong. Thats why I have an ADV. I'm not an eCCR diver but it seems like with all these solenoids firing left and right you've lost control of what's going on. Can you imagine the loop is the O2 solenoid stuck and then the Dil solenoid immediatly jumped in to try to lower the PO2? The thing would go nuts.
Wow I did not realize that (shoulda read more carefully). Having both valves going bizerk would be baadddd. And damned confusing too.

$20k ain't what it used to be :)
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dmitchell wrote:I'm not sure I need a solenoid to lower PO2 seems like another thing to go wrong.
I agree.
The Tesseract CCR by OMS is interesting, surprising to hear it is still considered for production. It would seem like it needs a high price tag. The rhino coated lid and canister is impressive, but the HUD is huge, maybe they have some refinements to make still. I would like to see it in final phase, the liquid filled electronics are designed for deep diving for sure. Dave Weber has a big hand in the design and he is a burly chested deep diver and has a solid backround in vehicle dynamics engineering. If there was a guy to learn about great lakes wreck diving, he would be the one.

http://www.greywolfinnovations.com/Comp ... rofile.htm

for more info about his company.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving