DIR: questions and answers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:
mattwave wrote: I was asked yesterday does GUE require or suggest rescue training before learning Tech. I said I don't know and I wasn't certain if they offer a Rescue Course?
They don't offer one and as a matter of policy they don't formally recommend courses outside of what they offer. That said, most people taking Tech1 have probably done rescue with another agency.

Would I recommend that? Yes, if for no other reason than it can take along time before you finally get into a Tech1 class (for many reasons).
GUE also has no position on DAN O2 courses.

It seems really obvious to me that anyone going the DIR route should have taken Rescue from another agency and have taken all the DAN stuff. I've never run across DIR divers who claimed that GUE training was a substitute for RSTC Rescue courses.

The rescue training in GUE courses focuses on rescuing your DIR buddies for a very obvious reason. GUE doesn't attempt to solve every problem in the world and there's unlikely to ever be a GUE course addressing VIPs and hydros or compressor and filter maintenance...

And I'm not about to go around Cove 2 before every dive and poll everyone getting in the water about how their equipment works in case I have to Rescue them... I have a feeling that wouldn't go over very well if I tried...
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

One final question...does GUE have any interest in recreational diving?

I know some divers have adopted a DIR approach for recreational diving after having taken DIR-f but from a GUE perspective isn't that class offered as a means to shore up basic skills before divers continue into more technical training?

Therefore, is the recreational DIR market merely a side-effect and not the intended effect of DIR-f? Meaning that the intended effect of DIR-f was to create technical divers not to create recreational divers so those who take DIR-f and don't become technical divers are just an unintended effect of the program?

Or does GUE have some official viewpoint on recreational diving?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:OK, just a quick interjection here: after yesterday's friction on this board, I'm in no mood to put out any more fires. DIR has, on occasion, caused considerable internet controversy. All it's going to take is ONE inflamatory post in this thread, and I will delete it without hesitation. If that happens, please feel free to bring it up at a later time, preferably NOT the day after a bunch of stupid drama. I believe strongly in freedom of speach, but we all know you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater......
So, what do y'all think about split vs. paddle fins? long vs. normal sized hose? frog or scissor kick? Giuliani or Hillary? faith or empiricism? sloppy joes or tacos?....
:smt064
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Calvin wrote: So, what do y'all think about split vs. paddle fins? long vs. normal sized hose? frog or scissor kick? Giuliani or Hillary? faith or empiricism? sloppy joes or tacos?....
global warming and evolution...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

lamont wrote:
Calvin wrote: So, what do y'all think about split vs. paddle fins? long vs. normal sized hose? frog or scissor kick? Giuliani or Hillary? faith or empiricism? sloppy joes or tacos?....
global warming and evolution...
Actually, those two are not at odds with each other, because the world is actually evolving to have warmer climate, so it's all good. More water for all of us! :supz:
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

pepsi or coke??

coke sucks!!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

gcbryan wrote:One final question...does GUE have any interest in recreational diving?

I know some divers have adopted a DIR approach for recreational diving after having taken DIR-f but from a GUE perspective isn't that class offered as a means to shore up basic skills before divers continue into more technical training?

Therefore, is the recreational DIR market merely a side-effect and not the intended effect of DIR-f? Meaning that the intended effect of DIR-f was to create technical divers not to create recreational divers so those who take DIR-f and don't become technical divers are just an unintended effect of the program?

Bob Sherwood keeps on threatening to rollout a GUE OW course any day now...

But GUE evolved backwards. The tech and cave courses were because they couldn't find divers for the WKPP with the necessary background. The DIRF class came around because students were showing up to tech and cave courses unprepared.

Personally, I think the GUE OW course is going to remain vaporware since they're just not a recreationally based agency.

And one thing to keep in mind is that I've dove recreationally with IANTD-trained divers who were indistinguishable on rec dives from any GUE recreational diver. Long hose, good trim, frog kicks, good buddy skills, etc. It isn't just GUE or DIR. And now NAUI has NTEC which agrees with DIR/GUE down to bungee wings and other bits of minutiae and which doesn't start to deviate until you hit 30/17 or whatever it is as a standard gas... What are you going to think when its NAUI shops that start to use the NTEC gear configuration in their OW courses?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah I have also dove with several NAUI Tech and IANTD divers who were as good as they get.

I don't think there's much market for a 24 dive, 6 week OW class (outside of a subsidized University situation with students who don't have to work 40hrs/wk or pay the full cost). So the GUE OW class even if it actually rolls out, will never have any substantive market share.

Every cave and deco diver I know also recreationally dives, in single tanks, etc. I think there was even an article in their official magazine "Quest" awhile back in effect saying, "divers who don't enjoy easy recreational dives are not diving for the right reasons."
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

lamont wrote:
gcbryan wrote:One final question...does GUE have any interest in recreational diving?

Bob Sherwood keeps on threatening to rollout a GUE OW course any day now...

But GUE evolved backwards. The tech and cave courses were because they couldn't find divers for the WKPP with the necessary background. The DIRF class came around because students were showing up to tech and cave courses unprepared.

Personally, I think the GUE OW course is going to remain vaporware since they're just not a recreationally based agency.

And one thing to keep in mind is that I've dove recreationally with IANTD-trained divers who were indistinguishable on rec dives from any GUE recreational diver. Long hose, good trim, frog kicks, good buddy skills, etc. It isn't just GUE or DIR. And now NAUI has NTEC which agrees with DIR/GUE down to bungee wings and other bits of minutiae and which doesn't start to deviate until you hit 30/17 or whatever it is as a standard gas... What are you going to think when its NAUI shops that start to use the NTEC gear configuration in their OW courses?
I don't understand your last question, perhaps it's rhetorical? If it happens it's fine with me.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

gcbryan wrote: I don't understand your last question, perhaps it's rhetorical? If it happens it's fine with me.
Its a rhetorical question.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re:

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:I believe strongly in freedom of speach...
Apparently, he also believes strongly in freedom of spell. :smt064
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: DIR: questions and answers

Post by Joshua Smith »

Way to bump a 6 month old thread with a complete non-sequitur. So freaking random, the mind reels. How do you manage to dress yourself in the morning, Calvin? I bet you get bored halfway through and walk out the door before you realize you're not wearing any pants.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."