President's Day weekend club dive?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:... because I'm so sweet
Awwww.....

Politics can be a tricky thing. I totally understand. Us bachelors don't have to play politics, but then, we don't live as long as married men, either.
Sounder wrote:with Bonaire on the horizon (11 DAYS!!!)
So jealous. I keep sending my buddies the current weather conditions and webcam pictures, and probably will continue to do so for the next 3 1/2 months until we go. We'll need to meet for a dive and a trip report over Maker's Mark after you get back. :occasion5:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Okay, fine, that's the last time I try to give you bunch of whale penises the benefit of the doubt in regards to your "sweetness". :bootyshake:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:Okay, fine, that's the last time I try to give you bunch of whale penises the benefit of the doubt in regards to your "sweetness". :bootyshake:
Hey Pez - better a "whale" than a "grust sculpin!"
\:D/

...and speaking of whale anatomy, has anyone every eaten at the Ivars "Salmon House" on Lake Union? If you do, go into the bar/lounge - it's called the "Whale Maker" lounge. The reason it's named that is because they have not 1, but 2 whale, ahem, "makers" on display. It's subtle, but ask the bartender and he/she will point them out.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
al NDOF
Avid Diver

Post by al NDOF »

Penopolypants wrote:Okay, fine, that's the last time I try to give you bunch of whale penises the benefit of the doubt in regards to your "sweetness". :bootyshake:
now that's funnyI don't care who you are!!! =D>
If you're not havin fun, you're doin somthin wrong
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

I think I'm gonna have to bail for family reasons.... I hope to try it next time. Hopefully something the following weekend???????
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Hey! What did I do? Sounder did it. It's his fault. And he's not even diving on Saturday.........MOD!!!! We need a Mod here.......wait a minute Sounder is a Mod, shame on you Sounder. You should know better!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

so things got pretty quiet on this thread...

c'mon, people, how was the Club Dive?!?!?! spill it! we want details!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penelope picked me up at 6:30 Saturday morning. Had trouble sleeping the night before, since I hadn't been in the water since October, but I was awake at 5:30 and ready to go.... We got to Edmonds at 7, and my friend Sheri showed up shortly thereafter. Funny thing, she actually joined the board in 2006 but had forgotten that she had done so. We got geared up, and Sheri and I headed in to check our buoyancy. As we're walking down the beach, Pez and Fishtiq come roaring up and started gearing up. Sheri and I both added more weight, and after buddy checking with Penelope, the 3 of us started the surface swim with the other 2 shortly behind us.

For myself, the first dive was about remembering how the hell to relax underwater, how to maintain my buoyancy, and how to just slow down and move underwater. Didn't help that my tank strap was a little loose, my wrist seals leaked, and really big, pissed off daddy cabs and lings were patrolling their territory aggressively. But still, good visibility and good buddies made for a good refresher and my longest dive to date-56 minutes.

On the surface interval, Sheri and I went down to UWS to get our tanks refilled. When we got back, the others had decided that we'd go out Jetty Way to the big boat that was recently (?) sunk out there. Tightened tank strap and an extra 1.5 lbs made for a fun, back-first descent to the bottom. (I'm learning that a heads-up position is not 100% necessary for a good drop, and going with whatever body position makes me not kick is the best way.)

Swam out Jetty Way, dodging the angry fish, stopping to admire the macro whenever possible, and enjoying watching more seasoned divers play in the water. I've decided to ignore my inner ear and embrace upside down, backwards, etc... Got to the boat, wanted to poke my head inside the cabin, but the big cabezon that had taken up residence in the stern looked like a bouncer at a strip club on a bad night, and decided I couldn't afford the cover charge. The bow was no better, as a good-sized ling was asking for spare change up there.... So I practiced my hovering techniques, watching the others swim around and take pictures. I lost sight of Penelope, though, and totally missed her getting mugged by a cabezon. I'll let her tell that story, though.

Since my suit was only MOSTLY dry that day, I started getting cold at around the 30 minute mark, and found the others to let them know I thought we should head back. On our swim back, the current started to pick up, and at 52 minutes, we were back on shore.

I had a fabulous time, and had a ball getting to meet everyone. Can't wait to do it again!
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that's more like it! thanks for the report.

if you're up for it, penopolypants, divernick, me, and maybe a few others meeting at Three Tree North on Saturday at about 9am-ish. i'll be putting up a post about it soon...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:that's more like it! thanks for the report.

if you're up for it, penopolypants, divernick, me, and maybe a few others meeting at Three Tree North on Saturday at about 9am-ish. i'll be putting up a post about it soon...
Yeah, sorry about the delay. Had a pretty full weekend. I might be able to make this weekend, but I may take my suit in to have new wrist seals put on it, instead. I'll have to decide whether I'd rather be warm later or diving now...

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Thanks for your report, Scott.
I love reading everyone's stories.

-Ben
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

It was an awesome day to dive, and I did indeed get mugged by a cabezon. It went straight for my face, and I ended up on my back, smacking it with my fists and flailing about and screaming in a most embarrassing manner. Usually when something really embarrassing happens to me EVERYBODY sees it, but this time nobody noticed. I guess I should count my blessings.

It was COLD, though. My new neck seal is way too big, and every time I rolled over and looked behind me to check on my buddies I got a nice, bracing rush of ice cold water down my back. Brr!

Pez, Fishtiq, Scottsax, his friend Sheri, and I hit the water and cruised around in almost perfect conditions until the very end of the second dive, when the current picked up and we had to fight to get back in from the jetty. I think we were all quite cold until that point, but that last bit of exercise warmed me considerably.

Other than the rather cranky lings and cabbies, there were a few rockfish, but not a lot out in the fish department. I saw some nice nudis, nudi eggs, lots of crabs, and sea stars. Several moon snails. Visibility was pretty good for Edmonds, sometimes topping 20’. Ambient light was nice. I’ll have some photos up soon. I did get a nice pic of our local graffiti artist at work on the new boat off Jetty way. :bootyshake:

A few beers, a bowl of balls, a burger, and lots of laughs afterwards topped of a very nice day of diving.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penopolypants wrote:A few beers, a bowl of balls, a burger, and lots of laughs afterwards topped of a very nice day of diving.
Ha! I forgot about the bowl of balls! That was good for at least 15 minutes of jokes....

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

That did make for a pretty good giggle fest. :)

My buddy check wasn't as good as I thought, though, I didn't even know your tank strap was loose. Sorry about that!

Anyway, if you can make it out this weekend, we can adjust your tank and weights to see if we can get your weighting and trim dialed in even more. If not, we'll do it at the club dive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Bowl of balls eh? :rr:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penopolypants wrote:My buddy check wasn't as good as I thought, though, I didn't even know your tank strap was loose. Sorry about that!

Anyway, if you can make it out this weekend, we can adjust your tank and weights to see if we can get your weighting and trim dialed in even more. If not, we'll do it at the club dive.
Eh-don't worry about it. I think the strap stretched some in the water (still kind of a new BC) or I wasn't feeling particularly strong when I strapped it on at holy-crap-it's-early-for-a-saturday o'clock. :-({|=

Definitely want to come Saturday, still sorting out my weekend plans right now.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote:Bowl of balls eh? :rr:
Yes, a bowl of balls, that we poked repeatedly with tiny sharp objects. Which is what I'm going to do to you, mister, the next time I see you. And that's MISS Princess Huge-onker to you! :bootyshake:

Seriously, the bowl of balls was a tasty dish of meatballs drenched in a creamy pesto sauce and topped with shredded parmesan. Mmm....balls...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
Sounder wrote:Bowl of balls eh? :rr:
Yes, a bowl of balls, that we poked repeatedly with tiny sharp objects. Which is what I'm going to do to you, mister, the next time I see you. And that's MISS Princess Huge-onker to you! :bootyshake:

we're going to need to start selling tickets to this event...

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! Come see Sounder Smarty-Pants and Penopoly-Proboscis duke it out in the First annual Pacific Northwest's SCUBA GRUDGE MATCH! :violent1: :boxing:

Watch as Pennopoly's wields her Rusty Knife as she backs Sounder into a corner! :axe:
But beware of Sounder's primo defensive maneuver: the Bonaire Bailout! :toimonster:

Don't miss this spectacular event! You'll pay for a whole seat, but only use the edge!!!

:naka:

:la:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

In the words of Stan Marsh, "Holy sh*t, dude...."

That's awesome! Wait till Vegas gets ahold of this-I wonder what the odds-makers will have to say?

:supz:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

:prayer: =D>
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

OMG! Holy crap, I just totally sprayed coffee out of my nose!

*ouch*

Phhtttbb! The Bonaire Bailout is for warm water wussies. :bootyshake:

This totally made my day. :bounce:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote::laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

OMG! Holy crap, I just totally sprayed coffee out of my nose!

*ouch*

Phhtttbb! The Bonaire Bailout is for warm water wussies. :bootyshake:

This totally made my day. :bounce:
The 1st Class Bonaire Bailout is a highly specialized manuver :smt027 ... Honkers of your status simply don't understand. :rr:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

That is Hilarious! =D> Nice going Matt.

Great trip report Scott, it was a fun couple of dives and I had fun just relaxing and "screwing" around. Joe and I had ourselves a grand old time during the surface interval and I was laughing so hard I thought I would die. I'm sorry but it would not really be too PC to share the event with everyone publicly, and it was probably one of those "you had to be there moments". That was only my second dive using those doubles and that current wore me out! I too was assaulted by the Cabbie bouncer and it was pretty funny from my perspective because I could see it in his "Body?" language that it was coming. I protected my mask and just let him have his way with me. I really enjoy those "club" events where we meet new folks and I'm glad Sheri was able to come. It was great meeting you both, and It's great to know you all had a good time.
See you at the next CLUB dive! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:I protected my mask and just let him have his way with me. :supz:
Well, if anyone is looking for a quote to add to their signature line...

"I protected my mask and just let him have his way with me." -Pez

:bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

#-o