Possession Pt. Kehloken ferry dive

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
al NDOF
Avid Diver

Possession Pt. Kehloken ferry dive

Post by al NDOF »

anyone want to dive to Possession Pt. Kehloken ferry on March 1 should contact UWS directly or PORTHOLE Charters at 253-881-1531. I understand as of 5 PM today (2/22) several spots remain.
The Possession Point Ferry is one of the richest dive sites in Puget Sound. or so i'm told.:dontknow:

al
If you're not havin fun, you're doin somthin wrong
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, my absolute favorite Puget Sound dive! Unfortunately, I'll be in Florida, inspecting wet rocks.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
whatevah
Aquanaut

Re: Possession Pt. Kehloken ferry dive

Post by whatevah »

al NDOF wrote: The Possession Point Ferry is one of the richest dive sites in Puget Sound. or so i'm told.:dontknow:

al
I like diving the Kehloken as a novelty, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as particularly rich in terms of critter variety. I think that the nearby Possession Point "Fingers" site is actually more interesting in that regard.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

whatevah wrote:
al NDOF wrote: The Possession Point Ferry is one of the richest dive sites in Puget Sound. or so i'm told.:dontknow:

al
I like diving the Kehloken as a novelty, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as particularly rich in terms of critter variety. I think that the nearby Possession Point "Fingers" site is actually more interesting in that regard.
I agree. I've only done the PP Ferry once and I didn't find it all that interesting. I liked the PP Fingers better but they aren't particularly impressive either. I think Waterman Wall is far and away the most interesting boat dive south of the San Juans. China Wall is a not very close second.
Last edited by gcbryan on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Really? I've found a far larger variety of creatures on the ferry than on the fingers. Starting with warbonnets in the structure, through olive rockfish schooling above it, and ending with a sea lion buzzing us on deco, I've had fantastic dives where every minute was something new and different, and the structure itself was fun.

The Fingers I found far less interesting. Like Lobster Shop Wall and Dalco, they're sandstone folds with a little life and few really interesting things, but not a thrill a minute like the ferry.

Anyway, that's just my experience. I have three dives on the ferry, and all three were totally awesome.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

LCF wrote:Really? I've found a far larger variety of creatures on the ferry than on the fingers. Starting with warbonnets in the structure, through olive rockfish schooling above it, and ending with a sea lion buzzing us on deco, I've had fantastic dives where every minute was something new and different, and the structure itself was fun.

The Fingers I found far less interesting. Like Lobster Shop Wall and Dalco, they're sandstone folds with a little life and few really interesting things, but not a thrill a minute like the ferry.

Anyway, that's just my experience. I have three dives on the ferry, and all three were totally awesome.
I've only been there once so my experience is limited. There was quite a bit of current and viz was limited as well. The life was sparce on the fingers but I did find a GPO there.

I can see how there could be more life on the ferry. If I had a boat I think I could find better uses for it than either the ferry or the fingers. Even Gedney Island barges were more interesting from what I can remember.

I do like Lobstershop Wall and Dalco Wall however but there's a limit as to how often I want to go to any of them for the reasons you mention.

I think Waterman Wall and Davidson Rocks are two of the best (reasonably close) boat dives to the south and to the north from here.

(edit)-I just noticed that I'm pretty off-track from the original point of this thread which was to see if anyone wants to join the charter to the PP Ferry. Sorry about that!
al NDOF
Avid Diver

Post by al NDOF »

We didn’t make the ferry, wind was over 20 knot; dove Waterman’s wall and Blakely cove for the second dive.
Both dives have lot’s of structure and marine life.
If you're not havin fun, you're doin somthin wrong