Waterman's Wall Question

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Waterman's Wall Question

Post by nwscubamom »

When I went to Waterman's Wall last week, I was amazed at the number of Giant Barnacles all over the place! But one thing struck me. Almost every single one of them was DEAD. They were just the hollowed out shells. I only saw a few living Giant Barnacles on the entire dive.

Those of you who have done this dive before in years past - how recently do you think all these died?

Enquiring minds want to know!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Waterman's Wall Question

Post by BDub »

It's been over a year since I last dived there, Janna, but I don't remember seeing a lot of dead barnacles. Lemme rephrase that....I guess I remember there being a lot of empty barnacle shells, but I also remember seeing a lot of live barnacles.

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
overandunderwater
Frequent Bubbler

Post by overandunderwater »

I dove Waterman's Wall Dec 1, and noticed the same thing, only a few live barnacles, then again a few weeks ago, similar. Although the Feb dive had more life; considering the ideal habitat I'd of thought there would be a lot more there. I can't imagine that these guys are seasonal due to thir shell size so either they starved or something a little more sinister is affecting them.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I was there in mid-october last year and saw the same thing. I just checked my log and i had written that it was a bit baren. I did see a Red Brotula so i came away really happy but the barnacles must have died out previously.