Dive report today / Edmonds oil dock/ The MUK

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
H20doctor

Dive report today / Edmonds oil dock/ The MUK

Post by H20doctor »

I did a solo dive today at 3pm. On a very very low tide at the oildock. I basically walked almost to the end of the oildock because the tide was so low today. I had loaded up my camera and my DVP scooter for a little tour of the dock. I dropped in on the dock and zipped south to check out the bricks and rubble. Vis was 20 feet and there was a little current still moving north. I then zipped from south to north in and out of the pilings. Not much going on there, lots of starfish LOTS of them. I notice new small white anemonies growing all over. I got to the north side of the dock and dropped down to the 3 large metal telephone poles to see what was going on with them, These pole are located north E down the slope. Lots of life on them but no octos making them home. I then zipped around the dock 3 more times and called it done. Max depth 65 feet. dive time was 45 mins.

Next up was a night dive at mukilteo with my dive Buddy Mr. Jeff. We splashed in on high tide at 930 pm. Vis was pretty bad about 10 to 15 feet. water was cold around 42 deg. We headed noth past the dock and looked around for somethng.. but didnt find a dang thing. we turned around and headed to the Geo dome when my eye caught Mr. Octo trying to be Camo on me. I stopped and signaled Jeff over and we watched this guy for a couple of minutes. I snapped some shots of him and we made our merry way back to the top. We saw a new Fire Hydrandt down there..? that was cool. And I swear the Bouy for the boat keeps moving father and farther out. cause Its way out there now..?

jeff98208
Aquanaut

Re: Dive report today / Edmonds oil dock/ The MUK

Post by jeff98208 »

and does anyone know what that little critter on the bottum is? i never seen one like that before. :book:
speaking of dives mr. chris, up for one later this week?
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Looks like a Snailfish to me, what an AWESOME find! \:D/

-Valerie
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nice photos. The pics from the oil dock are especially artistic.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

would that be a type of sculpin? or in the family there of valerie?
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Snailfish are a separate family. See Lamb & Edgell p. 186-193. This guy looks like a tidepool snailfish, but don't quote me on that.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

What is that little tadpole fish thing? It looked like a bulfrog tadpole. Swam like a tadepole. It had a white frill gill thing on the bottom of it, and when it stopped it rested on it. Kinda like a Blenny or a jawfish does. Very strange little critter it was so I snapped His photo, and then it swam off towards the deepend.
Thanks for the comments on the oildock. Funny how after the dive I realized by looking at the pictures what an amazing dive site that is. All the anemonies, and starfish, and micro organism on the pillings. I should take that site more special for what it is and whats there. Its just I live and grew up in edmonds all my life, and have dove it at least 30 times. But I should dive it as if I am diving it for the first time....everytime..