More Photog Q's

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

More Photog Q's

Post by Pez7378 »

Does anyone print and frame their photos? I was thinking of going to the local photo store, and having some of my favorite pics enlarged, printed and framed. Are you all doing it yourself at home? If so, I'd like some advice on decent printers for the job. Otherwise, if you take it to the local photostore, where do you go?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: More Photog Q's

Post by John Rawlings »

For professional quality prints, I take my business to Ivey photo-finishing in Seattle. It's just off HWY 99 East of the Seattle Center. http://iveyphoto.com/

Over the years I found that "local photo stores" quite often do not use fresh chemicals and the colors in the final print don't come out as rich and vibrant as they were on the original slide or file. I have learned that it's best to go to a professional lab with a reputation to uphold....they will not scrimp on you.

For matting and framing, I go to the Ben Franklin in Monroe. They have a huge selection of pre-made frame and pre-cut matts so that you can mix and match and compare how the different colored ones look with each individual photo. Doing that part of it yourself will save you a LOT compared to having the frames and matts made for you in a framing shop.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Do you use film or digital?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Costco prints are nothing to kick at, and quite reasonably priced. They seem to be better quality than some of your other typical big box print-em-quick retailers.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I use my epson R320, with epson paper and ink. I can print matt...glossey...4x6....8x10....i just have to take the time to do it, I am so far behind. I like to be self suffecient.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

John Rawlings wrote:I have learned that it's best to go to a professional lab with a reputation to uphold....they will not scrimp on you.
I don't know anything about photography, but I can share an experience. Years ago my father (who is quite a good photographer) shot some pictures of grazing mountain sheep. He was very excited to get the pictures back, but when he did they were so disappointing he threw them in the junk pile. He wasn't even going to keep the negatives, but my mother grabbed them. She took them to a pro lab and the prints that came back were absolutely spectacular. They were so good that enlargements were ordered, framed, and hung on the wall at his firm for years. In this case the quality of processing made all the difference in the world.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

airsix wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:I have learned that it's best to go to a professional lab with a reputation to uphold....they will not scrimp on you.
I don't know anything about photography, but I can share an experience. Years ago my father (who is quite a good photographer) shot some pictures of grazing mountain sheep. He was very excited to get the pictures back, but when he did they were so disappointing he threw them in the junk pile. He wasn't even going to keep the negatives, but my mother grabbed them. She took them to a pro lab and the prints that came back were absolutely spectacular. They were so good that enlargements were ordered, framed, and hung on the wall at his firm for years. In this case the quality of processing made all the difference in the world.

-Ben
HEAR HEAR!!!! =D>
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Tom Nic wrote:Costco prints are nothing to kick at, and quite reasonably priced. They seem to be better quality than some of your other typical big box print-em-quick retailers.
Yes, they are a bargain. BUT, unless your camera is purposely set at the correct ratio (which of course I can't remember right now what exactly that is...), all prints from Costo (and some of the other online places) will be cropped. I ran into this last year when I decided to splurge and print about thirty 8x10's. When I picked them up, I was really upset when I noticed this...on some photos, it just doesn't matter. On others, it can make all the difference in the world. When using Costo, once your photo is in the shopping cart, under the photo, click on "preview/crop". There will be a green box around the photo at each of the size choices. This is how your photo will be cropped....it's not a suggestion of how to crop it...it will happen. You only have to choice to move the box either side/side or up/down depending on the size choice.

Luckily, Costco has a great return policy. They gave me my money back for almost half of the enlargements that I couldn't use.
Jenn
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

If you're got those once in a life-time shots that you will proudly display for decades, all the above comments about professionally getting them done are definitely the way to go. :notworthy:

My thoughts about Costco are just me simply reresentin' for the Po' Folk amongst us that may not have the coin but still want to hang a cool lookin' photo! :salute:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We tried Costco but that cropping thing already mentioned was a nuisance. We had a few printed at one of the office supply stores, I forget whether it was Max or Depot, and the colors came out way dark. So these days we just use our Epson inkjet with the photo-quality paper. I usually print from Photoshop so I have almost total control over the finished product. The printer we're using at the moment is the Stylus CX3810 multifunction machine, but most any of the medium to high-end Epsons will do a great job.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Luckily, I discovered the Costco cropping issue before I ordered my prints. It was a non-issue after resizing the pictures before ordering them. The two prints I had done came out great! I would use Costco again. Pretty easy ordering online too.

Rich
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

For matting and framing, I go to the Ben Franklin in Monroe.
Hey Chris, don't you have an "in" there? :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

:bootyshake:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Fishstiq wrote:

Spill the beans, Joe!! :evil4:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:

I'll kill you! :angryfire:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:

Pursue this and I'll kill you too! :violent1:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

kidding of course. :evil4:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:

Pursue this and I'll kill you too! :violent1:
Joe - I've got more weapons than Pez can dream of!! Come over - I've got a growler of Mac's in the fridge and a 1988 Macanudo Vintage Reserve cigar (Churchill size of course!) waiting for you!! :occasion5:

Oh geez... with a response like that, now I HAVE to make a trip up there. I'm sure the girls working the registers will know a thing or two!! :laughing3:

Come on Pez, just spill the beans... sounds like a story!! :partyman:
kidding of course.
You're only saying that because you HAVE to say that!! :laughing3:

But hey - Joe, he's only kidding!! See, even Pez says it's totally fine to spill the beans!! :partyman: \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So... what's she doing this Saturday between 9am and 4pm?!