Jana here's a new one for you

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Jana here's a new one for you

Post by Dusty2 »

when I first saw this guy I thought what a rare gunnel. then I got it on the computer and realized it's a cockscomb! Is it somthing really rare or just something I've never seen before?

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Jana here's a new one for you

Post by WylerBear »

Wow! I've never seen one that color before. Very cool!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I've seen a fair number of these over the years, and am still not sure what it is. I initially thought it was a different color phase of slender cockscomb, but then the Vancouver aquarium crossed one with high cockscombs. I've seen thousands of high cockscombs intertidally over the years but never anything remotely like this color- I only see these orange guys when diving. Lamb/Hanby have a picture of one of these and call it a high cockscomb.
Bottom line is, there is virtually no difference between slender and high cockscombs and it's quite possible that it is just one variable species. I've discussed it with the fish people here at the UW and we plan on comparing them genetically to (hopefully) resolve the issue, once we get the samples.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Greg Jensen wrote:I've seen a fair number of these over the years, and am still not sure what it is. I initially thought it was a different color phase of slender cockscomb, but then the Vancouver aquarium crossed one with high cockscombs. I've seen thousands of high cockscombs intertidally over the years but never anything remotely like this color- I only see these orange guys when diving. Lamb/Hanby have a picture of one of these and call it a high cockscomb.
Bottom line is, there is virtually no difference between slender and high cockscombs and it's quite possible that it is just one variable species. I've discussed it with the fish people here at the UW and we plan on comparing them genetically to (hopefully) resolve the issue, once we get the samples.
Darn! if I had knowen I could have snatched up this little guy. He was only in about 15ft of water in the eelgrass bed at Point Hudson.

Damn I love this sport!
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Holy cow, that's cool. I've never seen one of those before. How/Where can i have a decent chance of seeing one?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Chevayea wrote:Holy cow, that's cool. I've never seen one of those before. How/Where can i have a decent chance of seeing one?
A very good question indeed. This one was at Point Hudson in Port Townsend but I did two more dives the following days and did not see him again.