Flash problems

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Flash problems

Post by sekhmet »

Ok, I'm an idiot, I'll admit it right up front. I had a 960 strobe from Sealife and I really liked it. I went to Bonaire and took about 400 pictures with it. Hurrah. There were some nice German divers there and they really liked my strobe but it would have cost them about $600 in Germany so in the interest of international relations and to prove that not all americans are jerks , I sold it to them for what I paid- $300.
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago when I treated myself to a new strobe- the 960D- and happily went out to take pictures. Guess what I have- all white pictures. ugh! :crybaby: Yes, I have a variable flash and it didn't seem to matter... the strobe also has an auto setting which also didn't seem to matter. I have a canon 710 IS.
Does anyone have advice? Thanks in advance!
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Flash problems

Post by Tangfish »

Are you shooting with a diffuser?
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

Calvin wrote:Are you shooting with a diffuser?
nope, I never used one before so I haven't used it. Should I? sounds like yes
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Try that and also try covering your internal flash with something.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

does it need the pre-flash set to a certaqin number?? so the flash fires when the camera fires.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

sekhmet wrote:Ok, I'm an idiot, I'll admit it right up front. I had a 960 strobe from Sealife and I really liked it. I went to Bonaire and took about 400 pictures with it. Hurrah. There were some nice German divers there and they really liked my strobe but it would have cost them about $600 in Germany so in the interest of international relations and to prove that not all americans are jerks , I sold it to them for what I paid- $300.
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago when I treated myself to a new strobe- the 960D- and happily went out to take pictures. Guess what I have- all white pictures. ugh! :crybaby: Yes, I have a variable flash and it didn't seem to matter... the strobe also has an auto setting which also didn't seem to matter. I have a canon 710 IS.
Does anyone have advice? Thanks in advance!
Hi Laura (?),

The good news, if your photo's are all white then your flash is timing correctly.

The bad news, you're going to have to manually adjust a bunch of stuff.

I am unfamiliar with your equipment and tropical diving, but try this for a NW dive.

Rig changes:
put the diffuser that came with your camera on... but cover it with duct tape... this will push the light from the subject area to the sides (e.g. where the slave sensor on your strobe is)...

Stand in front of a mirror and fire that baby... look at the photo, their should be light coming from the strobe and the rim of the diffuser.

basically, you don't want any of the light coming from your internal flash to hit the subject, yet it HAS to hit the slave sensor for the strobe to fire.... many people solve this with a fibre optic cable...

you are decidedly out of the world of "auto" anything

Settings:
Set your camera to M (manual)
Set the aperture to 5.6
Set the Shutter speed to 1/125
Set the ISO to 100
Set the photo quality to max
Set the internal flash to it's lowest output (1 above "off"), keep all the other settings the same.

take some macro shots out of water... change the aperture and shutter speed dependent on the effect your going for accordingly... to get the whole subject in focus in macro, use the highest setting (maybe f-8 on that camera)...

As your shooting, look at the photo's in playback, have a look at the histogram of the shot... you're going for a centered "camels hump" shape for a well exposed image... when the peaks of the histogram are mostly on the left you're underexposed, on the right and you're over exposed... over exposure is way harder to compensate for as it sounds like you've already found out.

Let me know how it works,
Scott
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

oh yeah, set the strobe on the lowest setting it will let you- often this is "1/8" for macro's.

you have to get into some pretty good vis before you can crank up power on that, in my experience.