Where to learn locally?

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
bobk3333
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Where to learn locally?

Post by bobk3333 »

If you were going to learn locally, where and how would you do it? How much will it cost to learn?

Any comments on the following two courses (I am on the eastside)?

Silent World KISS Rebreather:
http://silent-world.com/lessons_rebreathers.aspx

Bubbles Below Semi-closed Rebreather Drager Ray Dolphin/Atlantis:
http://www.bubblesbelow.com/education/s ... eather.php

What is it going to cost in equipment and air after I learn?

Is the Silent World $3000 free rental/air for a year a good one, or how often would you have to dive in a year to make it a good deal?
http://silent-world.com/KISS.aspx:

"For the low price of $2995, students will recieve all necessary classroom, pool, and open water training; classroom materials; certification cards; and unlimited rental of a KISS Sport Rebreather for one full year! (This price does not include consummables such as scrub.) In addition, if you decide to purchase a new KISS rebreather in the first year after your training, you will receive a $1500 credit towards your purchase!"
bobk3333
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Re: Where to learn locally?

Post by bobk3333 »

Scubagirl45 wrote:Eastside of the state or eastside of the sound? There are a couple of us "desert divers" out here on the dry side. It would be nice to see a few more.
Eastside of the lake (from Seattle) -- in Bellevue. Silent World and Underwater Sports are in Bellevue; Bubbles is in Woodinville.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, the two units you mention are very different- Draeger and KISS. One is Semi-closed, one is fully closed. I would recomend learning as much as possible about the different units available, and then try and pick an instructor based on the Rebreather you're interested in. There are top notch instructors for virtually every one of the mainstream choices, locally. We are lucky to live in one of the very few Rebreather "hot spots" in the world, it seems.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

bobk3333 wrote:Is the Silent World $3000 free rental/air for a year a good one, or how often would you have to dive in a year to make it a good deal?
I seriously doubt you'll pay back that cost in a year unless you are diving high helium trimixes very frequently. I really wouldn't base your decisions here (scuba in general) on price. I also agree with Nailer (shudder, lol) that I suspect -based on your questions - that you need to educate yourself about the various RB options alot more before heading down this road. To avoid making costly mistakes by buying the wrong unit or by buying one at all.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

All the dealings I've ever had with Craig at silent world have been great... he runs a tight ship. As for the deal he is offering, I'd say it is very tempting. It sounds a bit like a lease to own kind of thing. You can figure about $1500 for instruction from whomever you go with so that means you are getting the rental for about $1500 and then at the end of the year he throws the cost of the rental toward a new unit?! that is hard to beat. A brand new rebreather can depreciate $1500 in a year just sitting on the shelf. If you decide to go with a different rebreather at the end of that year you won't have to go through the hassle of reselling it like we did. The cost of o2 and sorb can add up if you buy it in small quantities. if you are a bit adventurous and are willing to get a little training on trans filling and if you order sorb in bulk, you can bring the price of consumables down considerably, but remember, saving money and diving a rebreather really don't go well together and should not be the basis of which rebreather you go with or which instructor... it ends up costing a lot of money no matter which direction you go and you are much better off being happy with your choices in the long run than having saved a bit here or there.

I'd also take a serious look at the Copis Meg, the Pelagian and the rEVO... they all have their own appeal.

before you make a final decision on instructors I recommend also checking out http://www.silentscuba.com/. Mel and Curt are also excellent instructors and genuine folks. They can give you the lo down on the KISS, the Copis and the rEVO under one roof. Mel was very patient and thorough with our cross over from the Evolution to the Copis Meg.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

"For the low price of $2995, students will recieve all necessary classroom, pool, and open water training; classroom materials; certification cards; and unlimited rental of a KISS Sport Rebreather for one full year! (This price does not include consummables such as scrub.) In addition, if you decide to purchase a new KISS rebreather in the first year after your training, you will receive a $1500 credit towards your purchase!"

The problem with this approach is that if you don't purchase a Sport KISS rebreather you will be on the losing end of the deal. The Sport KISS rebreather may or may not be for you. It is a great CCR and appeals to a certain type of diver and diving.

You really need to look at what you want to do with the rebreather and what style rebreather might fit your personal needs, get educated, try out different units, talk to people that own the different types of units and then try and make a decision based on quality input.

A great resource is http://www.rebreatherworld.com. which is dedicated to talking about rebreathers. All of the different models are listed and you can get all kinds of information there.

Jump in, have fun learning and I hope you make it over to the dark side soon.

Curt
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

The other thing you should know is training on rebreathers are unit specific. Once you train on one unit and want to switch to a different unit, you will have to take what is called "cross over training" on the unit you are changing to.

The best approach is to try and figure out which unit you feel will fit you the best and then stick with it. It will cost you less in the end if you put lots of effort into your education about rebreathers in the beginning.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Curt is right on this take your time. i spent years talking to friends and in the military trying different commercial and home built units and some since the 80's. Only in the recent few years did i feel RB tech has gotten their. So I started DM'ing Re-breather classes and tech classes for the last 9 months now be for I made my decision. I decide on the rEvo it is the right unit for me and the type of diving I like to do. Take your time this is one that you do not want to rush into. I have seen some very disappointed individuals out their with their choices lately. Hit the RB experiences is the best way you get a hands on.

Yes, I finally joined the dark-side lets go for a dive some time.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I also recommend doing the Rebreather Experience. You get to try out virtually every model. There are things you'll realize once you have them on in the water that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to tell from looking at the specs and reviews of each model.

I'm still a relatively new rebreather diver, but from what I have learned I wouldn't consider using a SCR - just go straight to CCR. One of the more experienced people here can explain why as I'm sure I'll butcher it.

I start my CCR Trimix training tomorrow, wooohoooo! (oh crap, I should probably be going to sleep soon since my drill sergeant, er.... I mean instructor is making me start at the crack of dawn).
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

who are you training with?
Greg
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Mel from Silent Scuba. :book:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

she didnt let me know we had anouther yet. so the plans have change a little this week then. are you OC trimix?
Greg
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm not sure that I catch your drift, are you planning to take a CCR trimix course with her? The dives aren't for a few weeks yet, this is just the class portion, if that clears anything up. And no, I'm not OC trimix certified.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

were doing my mod 3 this week already did the class a test just have to do the dives Wednesday. we are taking one of the boat out sat if you are interested. Mid channel bank and corvas rocks.
Greg
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ah, I'm not scheduled to do the dives for a few weeks yet, and my suit is at the cleaners, er... I mean the shop - getting repaired. Thanks for the invite though! :supz:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

so were is the spare suit :dontknow: ???????? if you want to come out we have space for 1 more. just still have to find a person to run the boat. who i had in mind is going to be planting corn if the fields dry out this week.
Greg