New kid on the block

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

New kid on the block

Post by diver-dad »

Great site you folks have here! :smt024 I've been skipping around to a handful of dive related web sites and was very happy to have stumbled onto a link to the NWDC.

While I and my family moved into the area from VA nearly a year ago, it wasn't until late spring that I was able to get into the water here. I'd be diving all the time if it weren't for that pesky "got-to-go-to-work-to-pay-the-bills" thing. :dontknow: It really puts a crimp in diving plans.

I'm a recreational diver, with your basic certs in AOW & NITROX, having originally been trained when I lived in Italy for 2 years in the northern tip of Sardinia. (A fantastic place to dive!) Most of my diving has been in Italy & HI, with some in VA's fw quarries.

Interests are pretty much centered in exploring the wildlife from shore dives.

Some of the discussions I've read in the NWDC have been pretty eye opening - exposing me to entirely new vistas of diving (like finning techniques and DIR). I think its Dive Training mag's catch-phrase that "good divers are always learning," and I think that's exactly true. There's always something more to know.

Not sure where my goals are exactly, but while I don't forsee myself going tech/deco, cave, or ice, I have been talking to the folks at my local dive shop to work towards instructor and probably wreck penetration. For now, I'm about a hair's breadth from getting a dry suit, and need to concentrate on getting good buoyancy control with that as well as getting accustomed to the conditions here.

From a quick look at the membership list and the chatter in various strings, it seems most of you live / dive on the east side of the Sound.

Are there many of you on my side?

Glad to be here and to know you!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
ArmyJeff
Avid Diver

Post by ArmyJeff »

Where did you live in Virginia? I was stationed in Arlington for 3 years. Welcome!!!! :supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hey, there, DiverDad. Welcome to the best dive site anywhere! Uhm.....I don't think we have any West sounders on the board yet, but I could be wrong about that. We dive this side a lot, as you probably figured out by now, and I'm new and don't know any dive sites around Bremerton....maybe we need to do a little field trip over your way sometime! You are, of course, welcome to invite yourself on any of our dives on this side, as well!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to the club Diver Dad, I love your avatar!

You're right that most of us are from the East side of the Sound, but we have members from down in Portland, up in Alaska and even over in Finland.

You've come to the right place if you want to find divers who are down to dive and chat in-between dives about improving their skills and equipment setups. If you're thinking of going dry it's probably worth talking to someone about extensively first. I believe there is an existing discussion or two around here about that topic. A dry suit can be one of your single most expensive investments in diving.

Well, I look forward to getting to meet you and to diving together. You're always welcome to come out and meet us at Cove 2 on Wednesday evenings. :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Welcome to the club diver-dad ... perhaps we can arrange a "club" dive to Harper Ferry sometime soon so you can meet a few of us in person.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Hello and welcome to the NWDC! You're in a pretty good location for taking advantage of some great Peninsula dives. A ferry ride from Kingston to Edmonds or Bremerton to Seattle puts you very close to at least 2 of the most popular E Sound dive spots where you'll easily find some club members to dive with.

Sea ya!