Crab...its whats for dinner

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Crab...its whats for dinner

Post by nice-diver »

saw this today in newport
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Crab...its whats for dinner

Post by Dusty2 »

The question is "What's got him?" I can see the crab legs but can't make out what's having him for dinner.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

its an anemone
i flickr

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I thought so but I was told they don't eat crabs. Hmmm :smt119 guess the pros don't know it all!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Oh they eat crabs alright, all you have to do to find that out is to stick one in.... not that anyone here would ever try that *peers over shoulder*
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I realize they DO eat crabs, but how does it work (mechanically)? Are they like seastars that extrude their stomach and digest things that way? Do they use another method?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I can't imagine what "pro" would say that anemones don't eat crabs- they are a common prey item for species like painted anemones (Urticina crassicornis) and others. I've usually seen it happen when there isn't a solid surface for the crab to grip on to, as they can usually pull away if they have good footing. They frequently snuggle up with their butts against the base of the anemone, which doesn't seem to bright, but then again they are just crabs.
Given their sharp, strong claws and the soft anemone one would think that they could easily chop their way out but that doesn't seem to be the case. I always assumed they were stunned by the nematocysts, but having pulled some of my crabs out of the stomachs of anemones in my tanks, I know they are still lively and seem just fine. Maybe they just get lulled to sleep on that comfy waterbed and never wake up.
They don't extrude their stomach- just take food in and digest it. Since the mouth is the anemone's only opening, that's also where the leftovers come out.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

That looks like a Columbia Sand Anemone, and a Red Rock Crab. That's all I can can contribute.

Well, I'm no pro by any means...but I never knew they ate crab either! You're right, it seems to not make sense that this hard shelled critter could be gobbled up by a pile of goo. Now I know....

And Calvin, I'm watching you..... :smt119 I have my spy cameras everywhere!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

When i flicked the "left" leg, it moved, so maybe it was a fresh killing; the other legs didn't respond.
i flickr