Gear Review: Oceanic Wireless Air-Integrated Computers

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Gear Review: Oceanic Wireless Air-Integrated Computers

Post by Tangfish »

I recently wrote this review of the Oceanic VT Pro and the new model that replaces it, the VT3.

Check it out and let me know what you think! \:D/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

great report Calvin, I am a die hard oceanic fan I dive the pro plus2. I love it, big display, easy to read and navigate.But that vt3 is looking good I might have to seriously consider an upgrade. Im about due anyway..
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm considering an upgrade too from my dive table, watch, and depth gage to a computer! I'll read your article (when I'm not at work) and will probably have questions!!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I second the motion! Great report Calvin.

...and I love my Pro Plus 2 as well... big numbers for the Old Geezer Dive Club!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Just curious- why are you switching to the Atom?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Oceanic

Post by Diver_Dave »

Yea u cant beat them thats for sure my data pro + Ive had for seven years if anything happens to it I send it to Oceanic and they send me a bran new one..They have been so good to me..My next computer willbe Oceanic data pro II...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Just bought the VT Pro for 600 bones from http://www.scubatoys.com/

Just tell them you're registered at Scubaboard, and they give you 10% off, too. They're selling the VT Pro for 660, so with the 10% off, it's 600$

For the record, I would have prefered to buy this from my LDS, but they couldn't get ahold of one- Oceanic is phasing in the VT3. But Scubatoys has them in stock- for now. I'll let you all know how it goes, but so far, so great- they shipped it a few hours after I ordered it, and I've been watching it's progress through UPS tracking. It left Kansas at 3 this afternoon, and I should have it Friday!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I dive a pro plus and it is my buddy, I love the pro plus 2 though and is mynext buddy.

Diver down sell me yours?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

The only downside of buying thru scubatoys. If you ever need to warrenty things you buy you have to send back to where it was purchased. (Usually Europe) scubatoys is just a selling agency they dont stock anything. For example Scuba pro wont warrenty anything bought from scubatoys.
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Maverick wrote:I dive a pro plus and it is my buddy, I love the pro plus 2 though and is mynext buddy.

Diver down sell me yours?
That might be a possibility I'm gonna upgrade to wireless soon. I'm gonna stick with oceanic though.
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

DiverDown wrote:The only downside of buying thru scubatoys. If you ever need to warrenty things you buy you have to send back to where it was purchased. (Usually Europe) scubatoys is just a selling agency they dont stock anything. For example Scuba pro wont warrenty anything bought from scubatoys.
Yeah, but.....it's a computer! Nothing ever goes wrong with sensitive electronics that get immersed in saltwater all the time!

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

True ive had my pro+ 2 for 3yrs no problems!!
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nailer99 wrote:Just bought the VT Pro for 600 bones from http://www.scubatoys.com/

Just tell them you're registered at Scubaboard, and they give you 10% off, too. They're selling the VT Pro for 660, so with the 10% off, it's 600$

For the record, I would have prefered to buy this from my LDS, but they couldn't get ahold of one- Oceanic is phasing in the VT3. But Scubatoys has them in stock- for now. I'll let you all know how it goes, but so far, so great- they shipped it a few hours after I ordered it, and I've been watching it's progress through UPS tracking. It left Kansas at 3 this afternoon, and I should have it Friday!
Just got it today and installed the transmitter on my 1st stage- this puppy is sweet! Can't wait to get it wet! :supz:

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You must be dying to go diving. Ok, I'll hurry up (which begs the question: what am I doing online right now?!) #-o
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

VT Pro Review Comments

Post by diver-dad »

Calvin -

Great report!

I run the VT Pro and bought one for my wife too. A solid performer.

A short note about the dive shop I used to go to when I lived in VA:
After about 1 1/2 yrs, I had a xmitter failure - timing couldn't have been better!! - I was in a pool dive with my kids in the middle of winter when we lived in VA.
- The dive shop there has a 15' pool in the back of their shop - air is FOC, just show up with your gear and unless they have a large class going on, you can grab a tank & get wet! \:D/
- This was the shop where I had purchased quite a bit of gear, and they knew me and my family quite well ...
- Well, we swapped out batteries in the xmitter (the first logical thing to do - but no joy)
- When that didn't work, they just swapped out my xmitter - no questions, no paper, no nuthin'!!

How can you get better than that?? =D>

(I now also have a small backup SPG on my reg that I clip to my BC out of the way in case I need it)

I have a couple of comments about my VT Pro:
- First - I love the thing. Great computer!
- I believe they have improved the xmitter's range in the new version to reduce the loss of xmitter signal from your reg. I never found that to be a particular problem with the VT Pro, but a minor annoyance that you didn't have accurate redings all the time.
- the PC Interface cable is too expensive. Of course, it is proprietary in how it clips to your computer so it's the only option unless you make your own.
- the computer software for downloading from the VT Pro has some annoying bugs: the log section doesn't print out well when you have a long entry, and it doesn't remember your preferences in how you like to have your profile graph displayed. (but the computer software doesn't have any impact on the VT Pro's performance when diving)

Take care!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So Nailer - what's the verdict? I'm seriously considering 2 VT3's for me and the wife. I'd like to know what your first impressions are.

Spoke to the tech dude at Oceanic who said the real range is about 4 feet, which is great for one person, but not as great for the buddy check.

Nevertheless, we're still going to have conventional spg and depth gauges clipped to a D-ring... should something bad happen to the computer at depth, I still want to know my numbers!!! It'll be convenient and very posh, but at the end of the day I'm counting on conventional gauges.

Anyone else had a chance to play with wireless yet?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder, since you seem pretty conservative as far as safety goes I'll throw in a simple opinion. Others please feel free to chime in and give another side!

I use a Pro Plus 2 on the end of a high pressure hose. I have the quick disconnect so that I can remove the Pro Plus 2 from the hose and connect to my lap top easily for download of the dive info. (The quick disconnect is a MUST!) I have a lanyard and easily removable clip that is attached to the end of the Pro Plus 2 and clips on my BC to keep it in easy reach. I also have a compass on the end of the Pro Plus 2, which I like as it keeps all my gauges and navigation info in one place. The huge numbers on the Pro Plus 2 are great for my almost 50 year old eyes!

I love it, and have not had any problems with it.

Isn't the main reason for wireless to eliminate a hose? Or, I guess if you prefer a wrist mounted computer...

If that is critical to you in setting up your equipment, and you are willing to abide by whatever "risk" is involved with wireless, then go for it. For me I like the idea of a solid connection, and while it certainly doesn't eliminate all risk (computers do fail, connected or wireless) the loss of a hose isn't a compelling reason for me to go wireless at the moment. As the technology continues to improve perhaps my mind will change.

Also, for those who really like a wrist mounted computer, then of course wireless is really the only way to go if you want to have the pressure readings on the computer.

Again it boils down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Since a computer is one of your larger purchases it's always best to reasearch the heck out of it and test drive it if possible to avoid buyer's regret.

I'm getting excited about the Divers Fair this weekend! \:D/

See you there,

Tom Nic
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I love it. I never once saw it lose signal. You make a good point about the SPG and depth guages, though.

bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I am looking for a wrist computer - my first one - and was considering the Suunto Vyper - with virtually no experience - how do these two compare?

My LDS recomended the Suunto Vyper and a SPG.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm going wireless air-integrated for my computer (Oceanic VT3), but that ONLY as a luxury. I'll still have an analog spg, depth, & compass console attached to my d-ring as I don't want to depend on a computer for everything and build-in redundancy anywhere I can. So it doesn't eliminate a hose, it's simple a "neat frill."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Suuntos are nice, but they use a really, really, conservative algorithm, which seems to unfairly limit one's bottom time. But some people may want that. I started with one, and switched to Oceanic. On one dive, I had my Suunto, and my dive buddy had his Oceanic, and we had virtually identical dive profiles. I lost track of my bottom time, and ended up sitting in the shallows doing 20 minutes of deco, while my oceanic-equiped buddy was clear to surface the entire time. We were within a few feet of eachother the entire dive, too. I think he went a bit deeper than I did, as a matter of fact. But, everyone needs to make their own choice about what they're comfortable with.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The Oceanic's also allow you to set a "conservative" factor on them if you choose. They're adjustable based on the diver's preference.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Oceanic is made by the same company as Aeris, and they are often referred to as "bendomatics." Conservatism is not necessarily a bad thing.

I use two TUSA wrist computers, and I love both of them. (IQ 700 and IQ800). You can adjust conservative factors if you choose, and they seem to be a balance between Aeris/Oceanic and Suunto.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

"To error is human, but it takes a computer to REALLY F%&# things up!" Nobody should trust their computer 100%. It's a great luxury, but no substitute for depth, time, and tables. Computers shouldn't replace planning, but unfortunately from what I hear, they often do.

On the "bendomatics:" as with anything where there are different opinions, there will be people who hail it and people who hate it. Do you dive DIR? Some do, some don't - there are strong opinions and strong divers on both sides of that spectrum too... and they're both right (just ask them!).

What is the best brand of motor vehcile? Ford? Chevy? Dodge? Toyota? Honda? Hyundai (which ACTUALLY are proving to be great cars but don't have high socioeconomic status associated with them) etc - I bet there are several contrasting strong opinions on that question just in this group. For me, I love Toyota & Lexus hands down, and if you asked me about buying an American car, I'd probably tell you that you're wasting your money.

Truth be told, you're nearly just as safe in any vehicle as long as you wear your seatbelt. Some are just more comfortable than others.