Phuket Trip Report and Pictures, Day 2

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Phuket Trip Report and Pictures, Day 2

Post by Huskychemist »

I got around to putting together day 2 of my trip to Phuket and Koh Phi Phi.

Day 2 was a four-dive day, including a night dive. The highlights of the day: A Seahorse on the third dive and a feeding cuttlefish on the fourth dive.

A full dive report with lots of pictures can be found here. The dive report also includes links to two videos. One of a huge school of reef fish, and the other of the cuttlefish swimming.

But for those that don't want to navigate away, here are a few of my better/more interesting pictures:

Beaded Sea Anemone, Hetaractis aurora, with two Clark's Anemonefish, Amphiprion clarkii. Most of the anemones seem to be Magnificent Sea Anemones, so it was nice to spot something different.

Map Puffer, Arothron mappa. Not the best image, but a cool-looking fish anyway.

Sea Urchin, Echinothrix calamaris. Different than the typical Diodema that is ubiquitous in the Gulf.

Bubble Coral, Plerogyra sinuosa. I took a ton of pictures of this stuff, as I think it's very unique looking.

An unknown branching coral on the wall of Koh Bida Nok. This may be a similar-sounding refrain, but I thought it looked really cool.

A beautiful Emporor Angelfish, Pomacanthus imperator with two Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus swimming with it.

A rare nudibranch, the Tessellated Halgerda, Halgerda tessellata.

The seahorse that was spotted. I'm not sure of the species.

The Broadclub Cuttlefish, Sepia latimanus. We "caught" it feeding when we dropped down. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera going yet. It was amazing to watch, though.

A cool nudibranch, the Ornate Dermatobranchus, Dermatobranchus ornatus, hanging out on some branching coral.

Fimbriated Moray Eel, Gymnothorax fimbriatus. This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip.

I'm working on Day 3, and will post when finished.

Thanks.

Lowell
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Phuket Trip Report and Pictures, Day 2

Post by spatman »

thanks for the report and pics, lowell! makes me want to go back to thailand now that i'm certified...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Phuket Trip Report and Pictures, Day 2

Post by Penopolypants »

That puffer is cool! Cuttlefish are a definite favorite of mine, I love to watch them change color. Thanks for sharing!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!