Harassing GPOs - who are these guys??

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Harassing GPOs - who are these guys??

Post by nwscubamom »

I was on YouTube this morning showing my grandson videos of GPOs and came across these videos that made my jaw drop. SHAME on these guys! BAD FORM! :violent1:

Look at him just GRABBING the octo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTmZEVDycM

And here's another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1VPG9y6juM

What a bunch of jerks!

Might be good to leave a few comments on this guys' page regarding his hassling the critters.

- Janna :(
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Harassing GPOs - who are these guys??

Post by Sounder »

I can't stand it when people do this. Comments posted. It'd be great if other people posted comments as well. Uugh.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Can anybody tell where they are?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

On his profile on YouTube it appears that he's generically in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and that he's created an artificial habitat "in his front yard." His profile is written from the perspective of his cat so it's a bit confusing. Sounds like he's also got an ROV he sends down to watch the sixgills - to have them come in with any predicibility he'd have to bait & wait.

I just really wish he wouldn't f-with the GPOs.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

nwscubamom wrote: Look at him just GRABBING the octo...
Makes you wonder what happened right before the octo came out of his den.....was the den injected with soap, bleach, and/or other irritant?

I agree, Janna--SHAME ON THESE GUYS! :angryfire:
Jenn
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I have heard stories from folks who have been diving for many years (I've been certified less than 3) that it was fairly common 15 - 20 years ago or so to "wrestle" GPO's. They would have contests to see who could wrestle the largest GPO and bring them to the surface, and would presumably later release them. This was common, and from what I understand, consistent with the prevailing attitude in the dive community. [Anyone who's been diving many years care to comment on this?] In some circles even now people do not have scruples about "handling" wildlife - witness some tense conversations regarding wolf eels on this same forum. Obviously some people still subscribe to the "hold onto" the octos and other critters school of thought.

My observation (and hope) is that this attitude is changing, and that the number of those folks is decreasing.

It's one thing to put out a hand gently and let the GPO touch you, it's another thing to grab, restrain, etc. Even feeding wildlife (which I do not do, but don't think it's as huge a no no as some do) is in a more benign category than what happened on these videos... SO not necessary, and kind of sad to do to such an amazing creature. IMO.

(BTW - my guess as to why the octo came out of his den so quickly is because of previous experiences with the same folk. It remembered and was trying to get away.)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Tom Nic wrote:I have heard stories from folks who have been diving for many years (I've been certified less than 3) that it was fairly common 15 - 20 years ago or so to "wrestle" GPO's. They would have contests to see who could wrestle the largest GPO and bring them to the surface, and would presumably later release them. This was common, and from what I understand, consistent with the prevailing attitude in the dive community.
I have heard this too, kinda like fox chases in England. I don't think it's a huge deal. But this guy was a bit excesive in roughly handling it. I think this comment on youtube was rediculous however "You guys should be arrested, Handling an octo like that" Come on, animals don't need more rights then humans. Just my opinions, don't hate me. I would not do this.

I like the idea of the octo caves though, providing habitat for octos to live in. It's a great Idea. Anyone notice what it was? A 55 gallon plastic drum maybe? :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
nwscubamom wrote: Look at him just GRABBING the octo...
Makes you wonder what happened right before the octo came out of his den.....was the den injected with soap, bleach, and/or other irritant?

I agree, Janna--SHAME ON THESE GUYS! :angryfire:
While they claim to merely knock on the den I suspect some type of irritant was used.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Let's not forget what happened to this guy! From now on, if something goes wrong, he'll have to "Toe" the dive!

http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=250
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Yeah, that was not cool. (talking about the octos).
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
neoerik
Avid Diver

Post by neoerik »

Posted responses and flagged the videos as "Harmful". Everybody should do the same and get these videos removed.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

His "octopus whisperer" clip is even worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOSEgwL07g

Though octos are strong, they run out of gas quickly as their blood is not very efficient at transporting oxygen. Some people seem to interpret the 'passiveness' of the octo in the latter part of the video as it becoming tame or something, when it's actually exhausted.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

neoerik wrote:Posted responses and flagged the videos as "Harmful". Everybody should do the same and get these videos removed.
Thanks for the tip!
Greg Jensen wrote:His "octopus whisperer" clip is even worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOSEgwL07g

Though octos are strong, they run out of gas quickly as their blood is not very efficient at transporting oxygen. Some people seem to interpret the 'passiveness' of the octo in the latter part of the video as it becoming tame or something, when it's actually exhausted.
That one is worse. Did anybody notice how much lead that guy is carrying on two weightbelts??? Wonder what the spear gun is for?
Jenn
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Give me a frigging break!
conantheblackcat wrote:How fun it is to walk a Giant Pacific Octopus!
Unfortunately, the media portrays the Giant Pacific Octopus as aggressive and dangerous to Scuba Divers. This is far from the truth. Octopus, when provoked, will usually try to escape trouble. They will interact with humans in an intellegent fashion, if you understand what it is they are trying to do. They taste and sense with their arms, so if you are new to them, they will reach out for you. They are amazing wrestlers and are not malicious when they hang onto a diver. They have no idea what a regulator or mask is for and may pull on them.
When treated respecfully by an octopus whisperer, they will even go on a walk with you. This octopus became so attached to her new whisperer, we had to physically move it back to her cave after she played with us at the surface for over 1 hour. A Bald Eagle was circling overhead and seemed to want to see if the octopus was as tasty as it looked!
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

The worst thing is they appear to be quite proud of this. I guess ignorance really is bliss.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I've commented on all three videos now, and flagged all of them as harmful, too. Maybe if he hears from enough of us, he'll get a clue. You're right, Greg - the Whisperer one is really bad.

Notice how all their gauges and alternates hang down, untethered? And yeah, I picked up on the two weight belt thing too. They seem to be less than savvy divers.

I agree with CapnJack - I think he's got to be putting some sort of irritant in the 'habitat' to make it want to come out like that. And then it always tries to jet away - what creeps!!

- Janna :(
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, in the "whisperer" one he definitely put something in there - that octopus was high-tailing it out of there.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I commented and flagged as well. Hopefully it will do some good. We've handled - well, touched - octos before. At Salt Water State Park we found one in a tire pile and I reached in to touch its tentacle and suckers, just to see what it felt like. I was amazed at the muscle density in the tentacle. At Z's Reef, we found one in a crevice, and as my wife held herself in place with her hand on one of the rocks, a probing tentacle came out and checked her over for several seconds. That was cool!

What these guys are doing is just, well, stupid. What needs to happen: first, one of them grabs a nearby crab to feed to the octo. The octo goes for the crab, but gets his hand instead and pokes several holes in it. The guy's buddy brings up the speargun to rescue his pal, and fires. But the spear misses the octo and hits his buddy in the whatchamacallits. They both give up diving and spend the rest of their days sitting on a couch watching TV and playing dominoes.
Dave

--
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

=D>
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
punkrex
Getting To Know Folks

Post by punkrex »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzeRibJSXOg&feature=related

Don't know if its the same guy but there is a wolf eel whisperer who does a bit of tugging as well.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Yeah, that guy was manhandling a bit. This one is much more like it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W540HXdB9zc&feature=related

These guys seem to be much more careful, and the wolfies are coming to them.
Dave

--
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

here's hoping for an "octopus shoots diver with speargun" headline in the seattle times...
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I went and added a comment. What jerks.
brownick
Avid Diver

Post by brownick »

Absolutely tasteless. I flagged the video as well.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Is it just my system, or do comments - especially negative ones - seem to be vanishing from the "whisperer" one?
Dave

--