advice on new regs needed

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: advice on new regs needed

Post by Pez7378 »

Pez= :vom:
Matt= :axe:
Dan= [-X
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jake= :pale:

Joe= #-o

After Chris heals up = :occasion5:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I dove an Apex for years and then upgraded to an enviromentally sealed Atomic B2. I remember the first time I took it to 120 feet and took a breath. It felt like it did breathing at 20 feet.

You can't go wrong with Atomic. They also offer a 2 year service agreement which will save you money over time.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
I've been reading up on DiveRite regs and am now seriously considering those. Any more thoughts on these?
Good regs (the older ones, not the Hurricanes-don't know much about those except they are rebranded Beuchats), but consider where you'll get them serviced. The one thing about Salvos or Dive Rites is they seem to be needed to be tuned right and aren't set as well right out of the box. With the IP and cracking pressure right they do breathe nice.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Loretta,
Matt and right-hand-man Dan of Northwest Sports Divers (in Kenmore) should be able to help with these questions. They sell DiveRite products and should be able to give the low-down. Next time you are over that way arrange to stop in when one of them is in the shop. They are both great people and run my favorite dive shop. The DiveRite Hurricane is marketed as a cold-water regulator, by the way. I would expect that either Matt or Dan can give a good evaluation. I'd like to hear what Dan has to say, as it's likely that he works on them and I would expect him to have an opinion regarding how well they maintain performance between services and other things you'd like to know.

PM mattwave (Matt) or Romer Treece (Dan) if this doesn't prompt a comment from them.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
airsix wrote:Not to confuse the matter, but in another thread we were discussing some angst against the big reg companies for their unfair trade practices, and I mentioned DiveRite and Salvo as examples of non-price-fixing, open-market types. What is the consensus on their regulators? Is there any reason we should not be recommending them? There would seem to be a lot of reasons we SHOULD.

-Ben
I've been reading up on DiveRite regs and am now seriously considering those. Any more thoughts on these?
Well, I have a 2500 on my stage bottle and last summer got 2 Hurricanes(RG3500) regulators. They have proven to be good, reliable, easy breathers. In fact, I replaced my Atomic M1s with the Hurricanes(see earlier post).

For some people with large mouths the mouthpiece on the Hurricane may be a bit small. But, I find it very comfortable and I suspect that most people who are into scuba very seriously are finicky about their mouthpieces and will put their favorite one on anyway.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Sorry Matt had me locked up in the back room, I just escaped! :smt051

I talked to scubagirl45 and told her to just buy an IST Proline.
:laughing3:
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

airsix wrote:Loretta,
Matt and right-hand-man Dan of Northwest Sports Divers (in Kenmore) should be able to help with these questions. They sell DiveRite products and should be able to give the low-down. Next time you are over that way arrange to stop in when one of them is in the shop. They are both great people and run my favorite dive shop. The DiveRite Hurricane is marketed as a cold-water regulator, by the way. I would expect that either Matt or Dan can give a good evaluation. I'd like to hear what Dan has to say, as it's likely that he works on them and I would expect him to have an opinion regarding how well they maintain performance between services and other things you'd like to know.

PM mattwave (Matt) or Romer Treece (Dan) if this doesn't prompt a comment from them.

-Ben
I own Dive Rite Regs, and the only complaint is in the servicing of them. The RG3000,RG2015,1215, and 1210 have soft plastic parts that thread into other plastic parts as well as metal parts, and after a couple services they start to wear. ESPECIALLY if they haven't been serviced correctly. The Hurricane and the 2010 have a metal balanced chamber with all the working parts inside, so no stripping of plastic. NICE!