Is there a better way to deal with the cold?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
seattlethought
Getting To Know Folks

Is there a better way to deal with the cold?

Post by seattlethought »

I don't mind getting frightfully cold - so long as by the next day there are no ill effects.

But - I have a lot of trouble with the muscles around my neck and shoulders. I went diving Thursday last week and after a month of my neck being fairly relaxed (a pleasant rarity for me) I have been very tight/tense ever since.

I don't want to be a fair weather diver, but will have to be if I don't find some kind of relief.

... maybe I just need to do it 20 more times till my body decides it isn't worth reacting to. :P
Behold the turtle:
He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Is there a better way to deal with the cold?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Are you sure it's the cold that's doing it to you? How many dives do you have?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

seattlethought wrote:I don't mind getting frightfully cold - so long as by the next day there are no ill effects.

But - I have a lot of trouble with the muscles around my neck and shoulders. I went diving Thursday last week and after a month of my neck being fairly relaxed (a pleasant rarity for me) I have been very tight/tense ever since.

I don't want to be a fair weather diver, but will have to be if I don't find some kind of relief.

... maybe I just need to do it 20 more times till my body decides it isn't worth reacting to. :P
Part of it's the fact that you're fairly new at it, and using muscles that need to get more exercise.

The other part of it's the wetsuit ... getting a drysuit is the only way to go if you're intent on diving here on a regular basis.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

seattlethought wrote:I don't mind getting frightfully cold - so long as by the next day there are no ill effects.

I'm not sure it's the cold.....

Like Bob said, your muscles need to get used to the new "exercise" and movements. There's a lot of weight to carry and it's very easy to let your traps and lower neck shoulder the load (no pun intended).

I've been having neck issues for a while, and while they've been improving a lot lately, I am still quite sore after diving.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I had a lot of trouble with my neck and shoulders when I first started diving. One of the things that helped me a lot was not using the weight integration in my BC. By putting 20 lbs on my waist instead of hanging them from my shoulders, I was much more comfortable.

Over time, the muscles built up, and now it takes walking in my doubles to get me that sore.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

My wife was having trouble with her shoulders and neck. Then she was having trouble with her dry suit. Loosening the straps on her bp/w solved both problems.
Bob
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
seattlethought
Getting To Know Folks

Post by seattlethought »

This is good news to hear. I can handle "do it more, the problem ought to go away".

wetsuit/drysuit... meh, not at least till fall.

crap, been over a week since I went diving now, time to get on the bandwagon.
Behold the turtle:
He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

seattlethought wrote:...I don't mind getting frightfully cold - so long as by the next day there are no ill effects..
seattlethought -

Good advice above, but I'd like to share my thoughts FWIW ...

I think you're right to be concerned - beyond just the discomfort of being cold... with loss of body heat (as you learned in your OW course): coordination drops off, thinking becomes clouded, and you are more suspetible to DCS.

A little cool is fine, but "frightfully cold" definately isn't...

The last time I dove wet in Puget Sound was Jan '07 - and I found hypothermia is a really sneaky thing! - A big lesson learned by me! ... I didn't realize how cold I had gotten in the 45 degree water until after the safety stop at the end of the dive. :pale: But even then, I just felt a little chilled, esp on my forearms and my hands were a little stiff, but not bad. Everything seemed to be working OK. However, when I got on the dive boat, the shivers set in and I called the second dive because there was no way I could get warm.

(Shortly after that, I got my dry suit - very happy diving dry!.)

Hope this helps!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain