The Pinnacle, Monday the 19th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

The Pinnacle, Monday the 19th

Post by Tom Nic »

I was privileged to tag along with Janna Nichols and 4 other surveyors for a Reef Survey dive in Hood Canal. Don Coleman, his son-in-law Mike, and Pacific Adventure Charters were our "host" and did their usual fantastic job. If you haven't done one of Don's charters lately do yourself a favor and get back out there! They are wonderful hosts and the diving is wonderful.

I don't want to "hijack" a thread that Janna should be starting, so I will leave the report about the dive on the Cloud Sponges at Cloud Nine to Janna and any others, whether as it's own thread or jumping on this one. Besides, since a certain diver lost their mask :axe: :angryfire: :violent3: :violent1: on the giant stride off the boat there isn't really much for me to say about that dive anyway... :toimonster: :crybaby: Ah, except for "Thanks Frank!" The thanks is because Frank came upon said lost mask about 25 minutes later as they were headed upslope and returned it so a certain diver was able to do the second dive after all! \:D/ But enough about that, unless I decide to start another thread entitled - "What's the Stupidest Thing You've Ever Done On A Dive?"

Our second dive was on The Pinnacle. What a great site! As most of you know, this is an undersea pinnacle in Hood Canal that goes from around a thousand feet deep to about 25 - 35 fsw in a matter of a couple hundred yards. This site is absolutely covered in life. On so many of the sites we dive in Puget Sound if you're fortunate you go from critter to critter, and hopefully see a good deal of life. At the Pinnacle the life is absolutely layered! Here's a couple of pics that illustrate this well. The first is of nice little Ling, plus 3 Lemon Nudibranchs, and a couple of White Sea Cucumbers. I'm usually happy to see them separately, let alone on top of each other so that they all show up in the same picture! \:D/

I found this Longfin Gunnel hiding between a California Sea Cucumber and a couple of White Sea Cucumbers.

Here's a Cushion Star and a Puget Sound Rockfish, which was cool for me because I haven't seen lots of PSR's as they aren't as abundant in the inner Sound sites that I dive alot.

The Viz was absolutely horrendous! We dropped down the line in vis that varied from 6 inches to 2 feet. At 60 it cleared up to 15 - 20' horizontal, though it was totally a night dive at that point. The combination of algae blooms and whatever is washing down the rivers with our melting snow, (both caused by our wonderful warm weather) just turn the viz all to heck. That being said, the dive is still totally worth it, especially if you're a critter guy like I am! Bring a big tank and plan to spend a bunch of your dive below 60 fsw and you'll be fine.

I didn't get a ton of pics because of the conditions, but some of the ones I did get are here

I'll mention another critter that I spotted, the Giant Nudibranch. Just their size alone, let alone their flamboyant looks make these guys a favorite. Don said it was the first one of the season, with more to come. With it's prey species the Tube Dwelling Anemone being very abundant it looks like a great place to observe them, and hopefully to see them hunting, something I'd love to see some day!

I also found a White Dorid, I believe Archidoris odhneri. Again, I don't see these guys very often either.

Thanks Janna and crew for great dives, Don for being a great captain and host!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: The Pinnacle, Monday the 19th

Post by Sounder »

Any schooling vermilion rockfish? :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Lots of Vermilions, Coppers, and a few Blacks! \:D/ And many others that I haven't mentioned and wasn't able to photograph because of the Shmutz.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Tom, It was great to have you on the boat again! Thanks for the good review on The Pinnacle, you got some great photos even though though the vis was less than we hoped for.
Not to hi-jack your thread, but if anyone happens to dive The Pinnacle with their private boat....and happen to find a camera....I have a client that would love to get it back. If anyone finds it please e-mail me (don@pacadventure.com) and I'll connect you with the owner.
Thanks to Tom and everyone else who participated in the REEF dives yesterday!
Dive Safe,
don