Vancouver and Victoria, BC

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Vancouver and Victoria, BC

Post by spatman »

it looks like my long weekend getaway to the north Puget Sound area has evolved into a full-on roadtrip to Vancouver and Victoria! as much as i wish it was a 100% scuba related trip, it's is, alas, probably a 30% scuba trip.

we will be spending a few days in the Vancouver area and then a few days in the Victoria area. i'm going to assume that i have 1 full day of diving in each location. i am happy to go on a charter or do shore dives.

does anyone have any must-see recommendations for dives sites in these areas? any particular charter operators stand out? dive shops that i might contact to rent tanks and possibly find a shore-diving buddy for the day? any other info i should know about or resources i should check out?

thanks!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: Vancouver and Victoria, BC

Post by Zen Diver »

Ogden Pt in Victoria is a full service shop with shore diving on site, and boat dives every weekend. You can check 'em out at htttp://divevictoria.com/

-Valerie
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Cool avatar Val!

I still can't believe I lived on Vancouver Island for a year and didn't dive (well, it was before I was certified).
](*,)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Here's another vote for Ogden Point Dive Center in Victoria. Erin runs a great operation - both the dive center and charters.

They regularly go out to the HMCS MacKenzie and the G.B. Church, both ships are part of the British Columbia artificial reef system and GREAT dives. Erin also takes day trips out to Race Rocks on Saturdays, I believe, if the weather cooperates.

I've never usesd a dive charter out of Vancouver, but there is great shore diving at Whytecliff Park. Here's a link:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Canada ... /index.htm

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

The Ogden Point Breakwater (the dive site at Ogden Point Dive Center), that Valeria mentioned, is an awesome dive! Be prepared for a long hike, but it's worth it.

Boat dives include the HMCS Mackenzie, GB Chuch, and Race Rocks.

Whytecliff is a great shore dive near Vancouver.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

wow, very high praise for Odgen Point Dive Centers! sounds like Whytecliff may be a winner too. i'll look into both this coming week and hopefully firm up some plans for our trip.

thanks again!
r2t
Frequent Bubbler

Post by r2t »

In vancouver area whytecliff and porteau cove are the two big ones.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

r2t wrote:In vancouver area whytecliff and porteau cove are the two big ones.
do you know happen to have a dive shop recommendation for that area? maybe someplace i might be able to find someone to dive with?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have ben to Porteau Cove a couple times and I doubt I'd go back. It was kinda dreary to me. Lots of silt, couple of wrecks with little current and hence little life. A few cabezons and big lings and that was it. Its on the Sea to Sky highway (99) and pretty far from any shops. Closest would probably be in Squamish and north Vancouver.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks for the heads up, capt.

i was just reading up on Whytecliff in Pratt-Johnson's 151 Dives. she mentions that it is somewhat current dependant. is this a site that can accommodate successive dives in a day? or does each dive have to be timed with slack?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I've never dived there but I know it's used a lot for classes, so it can't be too current sensitive I wouldn't think.

-Valerie
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

There's a shop in North Vancouver. Can't remember it's name. Anyway, they do Wednesday evening fun dives every week. You might try to hook up with them to find some buddies.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
r2t
Frequent Bubbler

Post by r2t »

Porteau Cove has tons of life. It's an artificial reef with some wrecks and it's very well covered with life. Viz can be spotty best is during the week when no classes are out there. Whytecliff can get some current on the right wall called the day marker but I have never worried about it. The islet on the left is a nice dive as well but not as much life as the right. Whytecliff is the main spot of dive classes so again during the week is better. There is other dives in the whytecliff area, lookout point is another nice dive but should be planed with slack. Ansil point is a nice wall dive. If you only have one day in Vancouver I would do one dive at Whytecliff and a second one at Porteau Cove. The edge diving in north van is the closest dive shop to the sites but there are lots in downtown Vancouver area that might be closer to your hotel. http://www.edgediving.com/ I think they run a Sunday dive with free air.
When are you planning on being in Vancouver? If I'm free I would be more then happy to dive with you, can even drive you to the sites.
Also when you are in Victoria and can plan around the current 10 mile point is a fantastic dive, but very current sensitive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks for the info, everybody! it has all been very helpful so far.

r2t, thanks for your offer, too! i just sent you a PM.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Highly recommend Ogden Pt; both as a dive site and as a dive shop. The dive site has GPOs and a wolfie that tried to curl up into my husband's lap. The dive shop was great; they were really helpful with information on the site. It is a heck of a hike along granite blocks but well worth it (you might consider a handtruck, but you'll have to leave it on the 2/3 mile breakwater while you dive).
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

spatman wrote:
do you know happen to have a dive shop recommendation for that area? maybe someplace i might be able to find someone to dive with?
I'm up for a dive anytime, well, if it's not too late to say this :p
Guanjin
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Crystaltear wrote:I'm up for a dive anytime, well, if it's not too late to say this :p
hi guanjin

thanks for the offer, but it looks like i won't be making it up there soon after all. :( but i will come visit someday, and i'll be happy to take you up on your offer!