Kauai Diving Options

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Kauai Diving Options

Post by Tangfish »

I'm headed to Kauai on a family vacation for just over a week during August. Does anyone know who the good dive operators are there, where the good diving is and if a dive operator or two there caters to experienced and/or rebreather/technical divers? I'll probably bring OC gear, but if there's a standout operation that handles rebreather divers then I might consider lugging the Meg.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: Kauai Diving Options

Post by lamont »

not that i'm aware of. i went diving with fathom five when i was down there, but they're all al80s+air, ~60-80 fsw 40 minute dives, etc.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ah well.... was the diving any good, as far as Hawaii goes?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I was there two or three years ago. We did a shore dive at an old boat launch, it was on the southern side of the island, the name is escaping me. It was a nice dive, Max depth seems like it was ~50fsw, the reefs were nice, it was in a protected bay, so current was minimal. Shore diving at tunnels beach is supposed to be the best, but we were there only weeks after that 13 year old surfer got her arm bitten off by a shark. Our wives weren't real happy about us wanting to dive there.

Keep in mind this was my 3rd OW dive after getting certified here, so anywhere I could see more then 6' was just amazing. We snorkeled a lot at other places, all in all it beats hefty bag diving.

Jake