First PNW Dive

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

First PNW Dive

Post by DiveMonkey »

Site: Potlatch
Date: June 7, 2008
Time: 4:55pm
Depth: 30 fsw
Temp: 54 F
Viz: 8 - 10 ft

So I had my first dive in the PNW this weekend! SquishyDuck and I hit Potlatch. We planned a simple dive with focus on skills and just getting comfortable in what is a new environment for me... Accordingly, we stayed pretty shallow and didn't cover a whole lot of ground. I was surprisingly comfortable diving wet. No issues with basic skills, but I'm looking forward to getting the 'graceful feeling' back.

It was nice to meet some of the local wildlife, including a number of crabs, some fairly large jellies (in my experience), and a few fish that have yet to be ID'd (I think one was a Buffalo Sculpin). We had a great time and the drive up was beautiful... As usual, I'm already ready already for more.

Hoping to see some of you at the club dive this month... :occasion5:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: First PNW Dive

Post by spatman »

glad to hear you're settling in, monkey. how was the dive for the Duck?
SquishyDuck
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SquishyDuck »

The dive for the Duck was very good. :supz:

I have to laugh at myself because for the first 3 minutes or so, I wouldn't let go of the line for anything: "I'm fine just sitting here breathing holding on to the line, watching you swim around." Then after a bit, Dive Monkey saw something that caught his interest and motioned me over, curiosity got the best of me and I had to go look at it. After that I relaxed and enjoyed the rest of my dive.

I must say, Monkey, it was great being back in the water with you after so long.
Squishy Duck... no, Duck... that's Duck.. with a "u"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice job, duck. those pre-dive visualizations sound like they're working out for you.

so, monkey, are you a vancouver/portland resident, too?
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

SquishyDuck : Thanks - The feeling is mutual. Let's make it a habit!

spatman: I am indeed a Portland/Vancouver resident. I'm in the southern suburbs right now but moving (still in the area) at the end of July - and work in downtown Portland.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Congrats on being back in the water! Have fun and dive safe!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman