Overcoming mental blocks and getting back into it

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Overcoming mental blocks and getting back into it

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey Squish,
If you get a chance to come up to Lakewood / Tacoma area You should try a few dives at Sunny Side Beach or Three Tree to work on skills and drills. I might even be available to dive with you. If I can't, I will surley help you find a buddy to dive.

Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
SquishyDuck
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SquishyDuck »

I previewed this post and discovered it is really long with a lot of unnecessary stuff. That's what happens when I am giddy. So I made some Cliff's Notes for those that don't want to read the whole thing. Don't worry, none of this will be on the mid-term.

Cliff's Notes
Wed: Had an epiphany.
Sat: Great dive with Dive Monkey @ Potlatch
Sun: Two great dives with Grateful Diver @ Redondo
No longer feel like a headcase.
Thank you, everyone.

Full Story
I thought I would jump back in here and post a follow up.

But first a story (I like telling stories). When I was a child, I was afraid of the dark. Every night I had to sleep with the hall light on. It used to be the closet light, but I had this ventriloquist dummy that lived in the closet and after seeing "Poltergeist" I had to keep the closet door closed. Anyway, it was 2 days before my 13th birthday, and I turned the hall light on before retiring as I did every night. I was just about to get into bed when it hit me, "This is really stupid. I am almost 13 years old and I am sleeping with the hall light on? This is just ridiculous!" So I turned the light off and I went to bed. I wasn't scared of the dark anymore.

Yes, this story has a tie-in. Be patient.

So last Wednesday I was sitting in the Zen Room waiting for my LMT when it hit me, "This is really stupid. What am I freaked out about? I know how to dive. I've had a hundred great dives. This is just ridiculous!" I started to remember the good dives I've had, and how it felt to be doing those good dives. Then I started to think about my upcoming dives I scheduled with Grateful Diver for Sunday. I didn't know what to expect so I was unable to visualize the dive step-by-step, but I just visualized myself being in the water. Then, pulling on my old acting training, I super-imposed the emotion of the good dives onto the imaginary reality (if there can be such a thing as an "imaginary reality") of my upcoming dives. I kept going back to that for the rest of the week. Emotional memory recall can be a wonderful thing.

So the next day, Dive Monkey calls and says "What are you doing Sunday? I want to go diving. Do you want to go diving? I want to go diving." I said, "I am getting in the water with Grateful Diver on Sunday." Monkey says, "What are you doing Saturday? I want to go diving on Saturday. Do you want to go diving on Saturday? I want to go diving on Saturday." (Yes, I know I am making Dive Monkey sound like a hyperactive 7 year old, which he definitely is not, but it makes for a more colorful story, and I like stories. Forgive me Monkey.)

So Saturday, Dive Monkey and I went to Potlatch for a dive. I was a bit apprehensive at first (Ok, so I was hanging onto the line for dear life), but after a few minutes I forgot about it, relaxed and had a great dive. Thanks Monkey!

On Sunday I met Grateful Diver at Redondo for a couple of dives. We discussed my goals and the new gear. Then we got in the water. We worked a little (okay a lot) on my buoyancy and trim, then we went off to explore some. During the surface interval we made some adjustments to the gear and Grateful Diver gave me some things he wanted me to work on for the second dive. We got back in the water and went on a tour of Redondo. It was a great dive, and I got to see the VW Bug, which was awesome! I am really feeling much better in the water. I have a lot of things to practice, but I am off to a great start. You da man, Bob! :notworthy: Seriously, though, thank you.

So I am back on track and I don't feel like a headcase. I really can't describe how much of a help everyone who posted here has been. You all kick major ass! I look forward to the time when I can meet each one of you in person and shake your hand. I may even buy you a beer (or beverage of your choice).

Now I need a nap.
Squishy Duck... no, Duck... that's Duck.. with a "u"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

=D>

congratulations, duck! welcome back.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yeah Sqishy duck!
Now Keep diving and it will just keep getting better, as I'm sure you already know! \:D/
:supz: Look forward to diving with you some day! :supz:
Maybe Sund Rock? :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

SquishyDuck wrote:I previewed this post and discovered it is really long with a lot of unnecessary stuff. That's what happens when I am giddy. So I made some Cliff's Notes for those that don't want to read the whole thing. Don't worry, none of this will be on the mid-term.

Cliff's Notes
Wed: Had an epiphany.
Sat: Great dive with Dive Monkey @ Potlatch
Sun: Two great dives with Grateful Diver @ Redondo
No longer feel like a headcase.

Jeeze, thanks for the "cliff's notes" anyway! I'm stoked to hear you're feeling better in the water, really, I am! It's SO worth it. I love diving around here, and I hope you come to love it as much as I do. It can be hard to love, sometimes, though. Please keep in touch, and don't hesitate to post any issues or problems you're having.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

I know I am making Dive Monkey sound like a hyperactive 7 year old, which he definitely is not.
No worries. I like to talk about diving. I know it. Even when I don't really have a point.

#-o

Wanna go diving?
SquishyDuck
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SquishyDuck »

spatman wrote:=D>
congratulations, duck! welcome back.
Thank you, man. It's good to be back! One of the first things I did on my drive home yesterday was to call my brother in AZ. When he answered the phone, I simply said in my best Poltergeist-girl voice, "I'm baaack!"
BASSMAN wrote:Yeah Sqishy duck!
Now Keep diving and it will just keep getting better, as I'm sure you already know! \:D/
:supz: Look forward to diving with you some day! :supz:
Maybe Sund Rock? :salute:
Heck yeah, let's dive together sometime! I think I read on another thread that weekends aren't good for you. We are just tying up a major release at work, and I am going to try to get some time off when we are done. Maybe we can hook up for a weekday dive.
Nailer99 wrote:Jeeze, thanks for the "cliff's notes" anyway! I'm stoked to hear you're feeling better in the water, really, I am! It's SO worth it. I love diving around here, and I hope you come to love it as much as I do. It can be hard to love, sometimes, though. Please keep in touch, and don't hesitate to post any issues or problems you're having.
Oh, no worries. I am hooked. I feel like I did after I was first certified. I can't stop thinking about getting back in the water. I may have even dreamed about it last night.
DiveMonkey wrote:Wanna go diving?
Yes. Yes I do.
Squishy Duck... no, Duck... that's Duck.. with a "u"