So Sick Of Gas Prices...!!!!!!!!!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
TCWestby
Submariner

Re: So Sick Of Gas Prices...!!!!!!!!!

Post by TCWestby »

Yeh, it sucks.

I have to eat for energy to dive but can't afford to eat so don't have the energy to dive, and try getting on the bus in scuba gear.... :-({|=
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I just skimmed this thread and the only person making any sense was Lamont.

Gas prices going up are a GOOD thing for the environment!

I read that the gulfstream shut down for a few days last year. If the gulfstream stops flowing things are going to get bad realy quick. The water is already 81 degrees here. It's projected to go to 86 this summer, we don't want it going to 90! :violent2:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Jeff, do you have any documentation that I could read? I did a quick search and so far the evidence shows that the Gulf Stream is still chugging along.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=20505
http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/ccm/1007_thc.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/impact/gulf_stream.shtml

At best is appears that the GS has shut down in the past but according to what I'm reading it has slowed but not stopped.

As for the water temp down there I'm not a scientisd and have no idea as to why it is happening. I do know that our snowpacks in Washington are the highest in 10 years and we have had snow in April in Seattle which I don't remember ever happening.

I would like to see your evidence though.
Looking for dive buddies

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

TCWestby wrote: As for the water temp down there I'm not a scientisd and have no idea as to why it is happening. I do know that our snowpacks in Washington are the highest in 10 years and we have had snow in April in Seattle which I don't remember ever happening.
Jan and Feb were extremely strong La Nina periods.

Last time we had a strong La Nina in the wintertime Baker set a record for snowfall.

NOAA CPC is predicting a shift from La Nina to ENSO-neutral conditions in June/July:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... odisc.html

That will bring to an end the Great Ice Age of 2008.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I hear you on this one Josh:

besides the OT at work and my new Girlfriend taking up a lot of my free time
I simply can not afford to drive to Seattle to dive
I do OK at work but it cost me $100.00 to fill the Ram charger and to Seattle and back is a fill up to get there on and one to get home on then I would have to top her off to get back and forth to work for the next week or two till payday

might as well smoke that $300.00 and lets face it diesel mechanics don't make that kind of bing
at least not where I work

I am how ever planning to take the hit and head up soon its has been 3 months and I am feeling the need

hope to see you all real soon

talking to the bank about a loan to buy some gas
its going to come to this you Waite.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

sparky wrote:I hear you on this one Josh:

besides the OT at work and my new Girlfriend taking up a lot of my free time
I simply can not afford to drive to Seattle to dive
I do OK at work but it cost me $100.00 to fill the Ram charger and to Seattle and back is a fill up to get there on and one to get home on then I would have to top her off to get back and forth to work for the next week or two till payday

might as well smoke that $300.00 and lets face it diesel mechanics don't make that kind of bing
at least not where I work

I am how ever planning to take the hit and head up soon its has been 3 months and I am feeling the need

hope to see you all real soon

talking to the bank about a loan to buy some gas
its going to come to this you Waite.

Sparky
Sparky,
you should do what I've been doing:
Ride the city bus to work all week and then use the gas in my truck for diving. :supz:
I only have to drive a short distance{about 7 miles}and then I'm on the bus for the next 30 miles.
The next thing for me is to put all my gear on at home and then ride the bus to dive sites. :naka:

Larry The Cable Guy says: "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments!"
:laughing3:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

We have two choices for dive transportation, a pickup (lot's of room, tailgate for gearing up etc., 19 mpg of the most expensive fuel right now), and a subaru (not much room, takes creativity to get geared up in comfort, 27 mpg reg gas). Right now we try to take the subaru. I have been considering some woodworking projects to get some of the gear on the roof rack, and I'm hoping to add a dining canopy to the gear we take. Anybody done projects like this? I'd appreciate ideas.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I am looking for bigger sadle bags for my Suzukie Intruder

it gets 50 miles per gal. but it only holds 2.3 gal and only ony fin in each bag lol

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I have cut back my driving by 50% in the last year or so. I was going to go diving last weekend but after the weather report and having to spend 1 scuba unit just for gas and 1/2 a scuba unit for other things I decided not to dive. My pu pulling the boat gets about 15 mpg. Without the boat it gets almost 18. If I leave the boat home and do a shore dive I save 4 gallons. BFD. I have dove all the shore dive I want up North. I think I will be fishing or diving down here more this year as much as it hurts me to say that. I have to be able to get at least 4 or more dives in over several days to make it worth while to drive 200 miles, spend 1.5 SU's to get wet. I have always said you Puget Sound divers were lucky, but with $4.00 a gallon gas even more so.

I no longer look at the price of gas or my receipt till I enter in in my accounting program with other receipts for several days. Why ruin a day when I can have just one bad day entering it later.
Charles
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Aquanautchuck wrote:I have cut back my driving by 50% in the last year or so. I was going to go diving last weekend but after the weather report and having to spend 1 scuba unit just for gas and 1/2 a scuba unit for other things I decided not to dive. My pu pulling the boat gets about 15 mpg. Without the boat it gets almost 18. If I leave the boat home and do a shore dive I save 4 gallons. BFD. I have dove all the shore dive I want up North. I think I will be fishing or diving down here more this year as much as it hurts me to say that. I have to be able to get at least 4 or more dives in over several days to make it worth while to drive 200 miles, spend 1.5 SU's to get wet. I have always said you Puget Sound divers were lucky, but with $4.00 a gallon gas even more so.

I no longer look at the price of gas or my receipt till I enter in in my accounting program with other receipts for several days. Why ruin a day when I can have just one bad day entering it later.
wow, 15mpg. man, that is a tough one. i feel the crunch in my 29mpg subaru at $50 round trip these days. well, if you need a local dive buddy, drop me a line. i haven't done any diving down here yet, and have been wanting to check out some sites closer to home.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I dont know about some of you guys, but I am glad I really dont have to drive my 2006 FORD F250 SUPERDUTY 4X4 V10 TRITON gas guzzling monster.Bought it 2 years ago and never thought gas would go this high. I live in Edgewood and the shell gas station is now at $4.13 which was a 10 cent raise in 1 day. Where will it end and most importantly how high before people just have to stop driving. About $150 to fill up an empty tank. If I had to actually drive to seattle and back everday for work I would be paying more for gas than for the truck itself.
Jeff Castor
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I started taking the bus myself, only drawback is no more last minute dives during the week on my way home. On the other hand an extra $300.00 per month is better than a jellyfish in the eye.
Looking for dive buddies

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Well actually, my wife and I are talking about taking up fishing again. That way we can still camp, use the Scuba Kat, and enjoy the outdoors. If I dive the Oregon Coast, it is only Barview Jetty or Neahalem Bay. In both cases for crabs and clams. Yum, Yum. Heck, I may even take out my trusty Hawaiian Sling.
Charles
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

pogiguy05 wrote:Well I dont know about some of you guys, but I am glad I really dont have to drive my 2006 FORD F250 SUPERDUTY 4X4 V10 TRITON gas guzzling monster.Bought it 2 years ago and never thought gas would go this high. I live in Edgewood and the shell gas station is now at $4.13 which was a 10 cent raise in 1 day. Where will it end and most importantly how high before people just have to stop driving. About $150 to fill up an empty tank. If I had to actually drive to seattle and back everday for work I would be paying more for gas than for the truck itself.
I take trades!

~Fleet Manager. Fugate Ford (shameless plug) :dontknow:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

cardiver wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:Well I dont know about some of you guys, but I am glad I really dont have to drive my 2006 FORD F250 SUPERDUTY 4X4 V10 TRITON gas guzzling monster.Bought it 2 years ago and never thought gas would go this high. I live in Edgewood and the shell gas station is now at $4.13 which was a 10 cent raise in 1 day. Where will it end and most importantly how high before people just have to stop driving. About $150 to fill up an empty tank. If I had to actually drive to seattle and back everday for work I would be paying more for gas than for the truck itself.
I take trades!

~Fleet Manager. Fugate Ford (shameless plug) :dontknow:

I still owe $30,000 ](*,) and I am almost sure its over under or is that under over. :book: It is somewhat a catch cause I do use it for alot of hauling things. not to mention it makes a great dive rig.The tailgate is the most valuable gear up and go feature. car salesperson :violent1: I'm trying to be PC
Jeff Castor
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

pogiguy05 wrote:I still owe $30,000 ](*,) and I am almost sure its over under or is that under over. :book:
I think it's called "upside-down." #-o I bet they could "work something out." :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Yeh but I really cant see me driving down the road in like a Toyota Prius with 4'X8' sheet(s) of plywood or 2X4X12 studs. I am tempted to downsize and get into something even if it is like another cheaper 4 cylinder pickup. I love my LONG bed though and I have no idea why they make short beds. It is just a glorified SUV to me. :dontknow:

I have been thinking of getting something like a car with hitch and just get a trailer to haul things when I need them. HMMMM I hate when the wheels turn in my head. The wife I think would kill me :bootyshake:
Jeff Castor
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

On the bright side, it's a great time to buy a truck if you need one. In the 14 years I've been in the business I've never seen such large incentives and zero percent financing on vehicles.
As far as being "pc" when you're talking about car salesmen......I don't get it. Profit margins on cars are lower than almost any retail item you can buy (including scuba gear)
If you're buying a car or truck somewhere, and you don't feel comfortable, just get up and walk away. There are far more reputable stores with professional sales people than there are bad ones. The worst thing you can do is walk in to a dealership with a shitty attitude and then expect to be treated well. Treat me (or anyone selling to you) with a little bit of respect and you'll be amazed at how hard we work the dealership to get you a great deal. Remember.....I don'y make .01 cent if you don't trust me enough to help you with your purchase... :-({|=
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

cardiver wrote:On the bright side, it's a great time to buy a truck if you need one. In the 14 years I've been in the business I've never seen such large incentives and zero percent financing on vehicles.
As far as being "pc" when you're talking about car salesmen......I don't get it. Profit margins on cars are lower than almost any retail item you can buy (including scuba gear)
If you're buying a car or truck somewhere, and you don't feel comfortable, just get up and walk away. There are far more reputable stores with professional sales people than there are bad ones. The worst thing you can do is walk in to a dealership with a shitty attitude and then expect to be treated well. Treat me (or anyone selling to you) with a little bit of respect and you'll be amazed at how hard we work the dealership to get you a great deal. Remember.....I don'y make .01 cent if you don't trust me enough to help you with your purchase... :-({|=
If you only sold Toyota ](*,) ... I'll be buying a shiny new 4Runner soon. :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Let me know when you're ready, Sounder. I sold Toyo's for 5 years at Toyota of Puyallup. I'll hook you up with a friend of mine down there and he'll take good care of you.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Scubagirl45 wrote:Gas is now well over $4.00/gallon over here :angryfire: and I officially spent more on gas last month than I did on groceries!
This will likely seriously inhibit diving trips to the sound.
I've decided that the trips are just going to have to be longer. It's not worth it to go for a day. Better make it 3-5. \:D/
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Yes I am also wondering how this will effect the upcoming holiday shopping times. if people are tightening so much and the prices keep going up, will anyone have money to buy gifts for x-mas? we will have to wait and see.
Jeff Castor
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I couldnt imagine being 18 years old right now, wrking min wage and trying to put gas in my car... and pay for car Insurance and my apt rent..!!!!!! Dude this gas thing sucks bigtime. Pez was right about the stop and Rob... I get robbed everyday now for 40.00 x 5 200.00 a week in gas....
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

texas yesterday=3.80; eugene OR yesterday =4.14. I just hope my boss keeps paying for my 180 gallons of diesel for my big rig everyweek; he has about 60 trucks.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

coast me $479.00 to fill up my dodge deisel, but only if i fill both tanks, Chris has seen my rig, it gets 20-23 mpg but only if i keep my foot out of the turbo. I deal with it, if you bitch they win. ook at it as a Luxury Item either you can drive or you can't drive.

don't look at the price, if you need it fill.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.