Northwest Dive Club Invades the Hood Canal!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Northwest Dive Club Invades the Hood Canal!

Post by Penopolypants »

Hood Canal Trip!

I’ve been kicking around ideas about the Hood Canal trip. So far I am thinking that the weekend of the 12th of July would work. If it turns out that nobody can make that weekend work then I will rearrange the schedule accordingly. If everyone starts picking random weekends here and there I’ll put my foot down and make another executive decision. :naka: 0 0

What I’ve compiled so far in terms of places to stay:

Potlatch State Park
Pros: Seem like nice campgrounds. Just south of Hoodsport. Boat launch. Showers. RV sites (no sewer hookups).
Cons: Campsites are first come first serve, we’d need some volunteers to go early and snag some spots.

Dosewallips State Park:
Pros: Reservable campsites. Boat launch nearby. Freshwater river nearby. Showers. RV sites.
Cons: None immediately come to mind, I was wrong about the distance. It's only a few miles north of Hoodsport.

Sunrise Motel: For Those That Do Not Camp (TTDNC), located in Hoodsport.
Pros: Has RV sites and a dorm for a less expensive option
Cons: Doesn't have tent sites, may or may not have room depending on who goes.

Lake Cushman Resort/Campgrounds:
Pros: Reservable campgrounds at the resort, cabins for TTDNC, a beautiful lake for rinsing gear, group campground at a reasonable rate at the adjacent Camp Cushman.
Cons: Not on the ocean, it's a few miles west of Hoodsport.

Mikes Beach Resort: Out for the group, too many complaints last year, but another option for TTDNC.
Yellow House: Out. Not available that weekend.
Dive trailer: Out. No longer available

There are a few other cabin options for the area, the ones that I have found sleep around 6 people or so. However, when cabins say that they sleep 6 people, that's 6 people who really like each other. As much as I adore all of you I'm not interested in sharing a bed with any of you. :) Whether you share a bed with your buddy is up to you.

Yay or nay me and I’ll start refining the details based on interest and availability.
Last edited by Penopolypants on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Northwest Dive Club Invades the Hood Canal!

Post by Sounder »

Looks like Pacific Adventure has 6 seats open that weekend on Sunday the 13th for a 2-tank charter! That'd be a sweet way to cap-off the weekend!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
SquishyDuck
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SquishyDuck »

Sweet! I'm in.

FWIW I'm in the TTEC group (Those That Enjoy Camping).
Squishy Duck... no, Duck... that's Duck.. with a "u"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

What was the name of the place just north of Sund? Was that Sunrise? They have tent and RV sites. I don't think the "dive trailer" is available any longer but it's worth checking on. Also a call to Ron at Hoodsportndive will net you some info as well.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Yay! I'm in. :supz:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I should be there Friday and / or Saturday, even if it's just to show up for 3 dives on Friday. If Bnboly & Bassman are in town those days we'll be there together! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Woohoo!

I've updated the original post with more info after a nice conversation with Ron (thanks for the advice Tom!). I'll continue to do so as I gather more info.

The group that has rented the yellow house will be at Sund Rock that weekend, but they aren't a large group so it should be mostly us chickens.
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

This sounds like a blast! Count me in!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I would love to come! I would love to meet everyone. I can camp, stay in a motel or whatever. I'm easy.
The Glyn Ayre Motel is pretty good too. It's in Hoodsport. They have a hot tub.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

You might want to give Mike's Diving Center (the other dive shop on Hood Canal) a call. They used to rent out a really nice house behind their shop. We stayed there 3-4 years ago for a crabbing-n-diving weekend, and we really enoyed it. If I remember right, it only holds 6-7 people...not because it's small (it's actually quite spacious) but because of the septic system.
Jenn
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

enchantmentdivi wrote:You might want to give Mike's Diving Center (the other dive shop on Hood Canal) a call. They used to rent out a really nice house behind their shop. We stayed there 3-4 years ago for a crabbing-n-diving weekend, and we really enoyed it. If I remember right, it only holds 6-7 people...not because it's small (it's actually quite spacious) but because of the septic system.
We stayed at that house this past New Years ... and it is really nice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Grateful Diver wrote:
enchantmentdivi wrote:You might want to give Mike's Diving Center (the other dive shop on Hood Canal) a call. They used to rent out a really nice house behind their shop. We stayed there 3-4 years ago for a crabbing-n-diving weekend, and we really enoyed it. If I remember right, it only holds 6-7 people...not because it's small (it's actually quite spacious) but because of the septic system.
We stayed at that house this past New Years ... and it is really nice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hm...I'd rather keep us all together though if we can, but if there is interest I'll check it out.
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

So, I'm curious... Do we have any indication of how many attendees are in the TTDNC category?

Personally, I'm also in the TTEC group but pretty open to any arrangement as long as the diving is included.

I just thought it might be helpful to figure out if we're camping or not (or how many fall into each group). This way we can look at the appropriate accomodations and try to keep everyone close if not actually at the same location.

As a (former?) indecision pro, I'm just trying to nudge us in the "narrow it down" direction... I know we've got time, but if we need to reserve anything best to do that part early.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

DiveMonkey wrote:So, I'm curious... Do we have any indication of how many attendees are in the TTDNC category?

Personally, I'm also in the TTEC group but pretty open to any arrangement as long as the diving is included.

I just thought it might be helpful to figure out if we're camping or not (or how many fall into each group). This way we can look at the appropriate accomodations and try to keep everyone close if not actually at the same location.

As a (former?) indecision pro, I'm just trying to nudge us in the "narrow it down" direction... I know we've got time, but if we need to reserve anything best to do that part early.

Good question, the only people who have said they're going have posted here. Who else is going?

And, if you could place yourselves in the TTDNC or TTEC group when you respond, and what days you'll be there, that would be swell. Muchas gracias!

Also, to clarify, this is NOT the club dive happening on the 22nd of June. That's a day trip, this is a weekend long trip.

I am in the TTEC category, and I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

We still need more yays and nays before we can make a go of it. Gimme some yays, you bunch o' procrastinators! :bounce:
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

I'm in.... and just happen to be up that way then too
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Sounds like fun - I'll definately be there on Saturday! Have we figured out where we'll be staying yet? As I understand it Potlach is supposed to be diveable - not sure what's there - but at least you can get wet......
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I am going to try and be there the 22nd...
What can I bring?
As for as this...well, I am going to sign Tim and I up and will let you know in a couple of days yes or no since Tim is working nights and I wont see him...
I am definately a NON Camper...unless we can get a trailer ASAP (Not)
Probably stay at Glen Ayers or those little cabins at Potlatch...
Let us know what the game plan is.
Kirsten
Scubak@comcast.net
"Let's go diving!"
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

This is the thread for the JULY 12th club dive right????????

If so I am in. We will probably come up and camp at Rest Awhile campground as usual. Want to get a bunch of dives off the Scuba Kat.

Potlatch has nothing. It is a shore dive but just mud. I got certified there and that was the only time I have dove it.
Charles
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I don't think I can make it to this one because it falls right at the start of my work week. ](*,)
I work Friday night, Saturday Night, Sunday Night and Monday Night.
So that should put the next club dive weekend starting on Tuesday Night! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :supz:
Need Vacation days for other trips and things with the family. If for some odd reason I can do one day, it would have to be on Friday for some early dives.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Well....given the fact that a lot of people have conflicts in general with this weekend, plus there is a lot of interest in going to Clear Lake on the 12th....I'm thinking we should reschedule this trip. Perhaps in the fall when things slow down a bit?