Diver should ask for a buddy?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Diver should ask for a buddy?

Post by MorningDiverBob »

I went diving in Monterey, CA. on Tues 6/10. I almost ready for diving before diver arrived and We little talked. I thought he waited for his buddy coming. After accident diving, See ScubaBoard.com http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal ... water.html my user name is WADiverBob.

He didn't ask me for a buddy before accident. What do I should ask him or her if alone diver need or not need a buddy or wait for another buddy come (make sure)? I think I should ask (safety). If diver ask me for a buddy, SURE I can go with diver (reason safety right ?).
Go Dive and Dive Safe
Solitary
Just Settling In

Re: Diver should ask for a buddy?

Post by Solitary »

Reading your other post, it looks like you were preparing to do a solo dive when another diver showed up, also apparently solo. You started your dive, and returned an hour later to learn that the diver you had just met had been rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Is that about right? That's bad news, man.

You can't be too hard on yourself, though. Every one of us is responsible for our own safety, and his decision to dive alone after a long hiatus from diving was his to make. You certainly could have offered to dive with him, but you were under no obligation to do so. I don't think you should have to ask if someone needs a buddy, and I don't think you should have to wait for a buddy to show up. He wouldn't have gone down to the water alone if he wasn't planning on diving alone.

Everyone in the diving community sort of keeps an eye on each other, but you have no way of knowing if a particular diver has years of experience solo diving or is about to solo for the first time with unserviced equipment and rusty skills. If someone were to question my competency every time I geared up, I think I would get somewhat resentful.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think you did just fine Bob. It is not your responsibility to ensure that everyone sharing your dive site has a buddy. It is also not your responsibility to dive with someone just because they don't have a buddy. I believe there is a strong argument in your favor for NOT simply "jumping in" with someone who has admittedly been dry for a while, whom you've NEVER met before or even heard about.

Sounds like this is another case where we'll never know the details, though there is certainly some food for thought in the article and SB thread.

I buried a very dear friend today and I'm incredibly grateful that YOU'RE ok. My emotions couldn't have handled more bad news about any of my friends today.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sorry to hear that someone else has died and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

As a new diver myself I would NEVER dive alone cause there are some many things that can and could go wrong. You and your dive buddy could save one another.Not to mention its nice to have someone to go "HEY LOOKY". Everyone is responsible for themselves and if they wish to solo dive then they assume the risk. I myself have seen guys who obviously were solo diving and I did not ask them to join us. I just think that is the way they want it to be and who am I to try and talk to or argue with them. With as many divers as we have around here no one should solo dive.

Even though I have not been diving with you guys from this board, I know alot of you have great experience and knowlegde. I look forward to diving with any of you in the future and if you see my big dark colored 2006 Ford F250 with the tacomascuba.com sticker in the rear window feel free to come chat with me.I have been gettng out on weekends and diving two tanks lately. I've got about 30 dives now and hopefully will be able to take my AOW soon. I wanna see what is deeper.
Jeff Castor
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Bob, you can't be responsible for every diver on the beach. People do dive solo (you did) and you can't know ahead of time whether the person is experienced and capable or not. I have had people come up to me at dive sites and request to join us because their buddy has failed to show or has decided against another dive. I have always said yes to those people, but I wouldn't go up to someone who appeared to be gearing up solo and ask them if they wanted a buddy. Some people might get quite offended by it, I fear.

It's very sad that this young man died, but it isn't in any way your fault.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Bob, I agree with Lynne. Please don't beat yourself up over what might have been ... I know you are one of the best dive buddes a person could hope for, but we are each responsible for our own safety and our own decisions when we dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:Bob, I agree with Lynne. Please don't beat yourself up over what might have been ... I know you are one of the best dive buddes a person could hope for, but we are each responsible for our own safety and our own decisions when we dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yup - again, I'm with Bob and Lynne. You're the best buddy a guy could ask for, and you take GREAT pictures (see my avatar)!! You did absolutely NOTHING wrong in this unfortunate situation.

Some morning soon let's get another dive or two in together - I'm feeling the need for a new avatar picture!! :hello2: =D> :notworthy:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Post by MorningDiverBob »

Thanks for the responses and advice. I really appreciate all of your thought and help. Hope to see you sometime when I'm back in WA.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow Bob!
I could see where alot of "what if's.." would play a part in this accident. But I agree with what has been said here about seeing a solo diver getting in the water. I have not done a solo dive and do not see a need for it. I know there is training for solo diving and also good reason for a photogrpher to solo. but when I see someone going in on a Solo dive I do not ask him if he needs a buddy. But just like Lynne said, I have no problem with someone asking to join me and my buddy for a dive because his buddy has not shown up.
As far as diving with some one who has not dove for even 2 years or 20, I would probably not offer to buddy up with him. I would tell him to be careful jus as you did. Being careful would include waiting for his buddy to show up. It clearly looks like he was waiting on his buddy and decided to go in solo when his buddy didn't show. Bob, You did what any other, good diver I know, would do. Looking forward to diving with you again. You always find the cool critters!

Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Sorry for the loss of another diver. The predicament you were in is not uncommon, and as it has been said already, you are NOT responsible for every diver on the beach or boat. I hope this tragedy doesn't effect your future diving endeavors.
My condolences for the diver's family and friends.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving