Advanced CCR Trimix

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Advanced CCR Trimix

Post by Tangfish »

Well, this afternoon Nailer and I (and Larry) threw up our caps (hoods?) as we graduated from Advanced CCR Trimix (I think this is called Mod 3 in some circles). It seems like forever, but just 7 months ago I started my first CCR class, Air Diluent CCR cert. It did take me months to find the groove on the Meg, but sometime along the way it just clicked. I'm glad I stuck with it because honestly, those first dozen dives or so had me thinking *what have I done?*. Now I feel pretty natural in the water again, not as carefree as on OC before I made the switch, but definitely confident, which is huge.

I never thought that I'd be diving with this much *crap* attached to me. This is coming from a guy who was thrilled when he got an Atomic SS1 because I wanted to eliminate every hose possible on his regulator (I also had a wireless computer). Now, our diving rigs are so complex that we look like we're going on combat missions and it takes some real planning, preparation and help to go on dives.

My toolbox used to be a big green van that I hoped would happen to be around when I needed a wrench or some o-ring lube. Now, I not only have my own toolbox with me, I can actually assemble, disassemble and fix most gear-related issues with my rig (which is a very daunting set of challenges when one first sees what goes into a rebreather).

I don't feel like I have a really high chance of dying on every dive, because I'm not sure if I put an o-ring or part on backward, and I actually know what's going on with the gas planning, mixes, PO2s, etc. In all, I'm really glad I made the decision to go closed circuit, though it will still be awhile until I'm back at the level of muscle memory and comfort that will allow me to shoot photos like I used to. But, when I finally get there, I'll have such a wider range of subjects to shoot, given the range of the Megalodon.

Anyway, diving a rebreather is not for everyone out there, and I don't think that I would enjoy it like I do, had I not taken the time to stop and smell the roses along the way (learning many things on open circuit first). I will always love the simplicity of being able to toss a tank and some basic gear in the truck to go diving on the spur of the moment, but I have to say that I am actually enjoying prepping the rebreather and going through all the various precise procedures one has to go through to make the machine work. It's challenging, very challenging... but most importantly - it's fun again. :supz:

Anyone who's interested in learning more about rebreathers should consider checking out the upcoming Rebreather Experience. It was my first exposure to rebreathers, *exactly* one year ago, tomorrow. What a year of diving this has been.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Advanced CCR Trimix

Post by Joshua Smith »

w00t! Yeah, that was good fun today! I'm really stoked that you like diving the Meg, now- You were on a little break from diving when I went through my first 20 or 30 awkward "post class" dives- as you know, it gets a lot better. But, yeah, the CCR is a demanding mistress- it will never be as carefree as slipping into a singles rig and splashing- but I really, truly, love it. I think I really became a commited rebreather freak today, when we had to do the Open circuit bailout from 180 feet in the lake......all of a sudden, I was surrounded by noisy, irritating bubbles, breathing cold, dry, trimix, and my hard-won buoyancy went to hell in a handbasket- as I tried to vent my wing, my suit, and my freaking rebreather, all at once on the ascent! I wanted to get back on my loop SO BAD! Anyway, let's go do some more dives soon!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Congratulations, guys!!!! =D>
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer, I didn't even realize it till I was typing about the rebreather experience, but isn't it amazing that it's been exactly 364 days since we first tried those rebreathers in the pool in Mill Creek? Seems like ages ago!

PS - now that we're done with class I can't wait to use my pink retractor again \:D/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

tangfish wrote:Nailer, I didn't even realize it till I was typing about the rebreather experience, but isn't it amazing that it's been exactly 364 days since we first tried those rebreathers in the pool in Mill Creek? Seems like ages ago!

PS - now that we're done with class I can't wait to use my pink retractor again \:D/

No pink retractors. That's a deal-breaker. Neon green is acceptable, however.

(I'll be damned- it has been a year since we went to the RBE- time flies, no? )
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I like diving split fins and being an entanglement hazard. :evil4:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Congrats guys!! That's a fantastic acccomplishment!! \:D/ =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Excellent Guys!

So when are we going diving?

Dave
Dave Mitchell
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Congrats! :fish:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Great job!!! Glad you-all like your CCRs. Hope to see you soon!
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

Post by scubagrunt »

great work Josh and Calvin, it was an interesting adventure to say the least =D> i guess no more :violent1: for you guys !! btw BOOOOM :boxing: