Wednesday Aug 2nd Dive

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Wednesday Aug 2nd Dive

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Ok, now why hasn't anyone posted a thread about this Wednesday's dive yet? I know some people out there are dying to use some of their new gear from last weekends Diver's Fair. How about it? I was thinking about Alki, but then I thought, hey, how about Alki \:D/ .... Cove 2 or Pipeline maybe?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sounds good to me. The Pipeline is current intensive and is very shallow so we should only do it if the timing is right tide-wise.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I'd like to see some sharks. \:D/ To flash 'em (:bootyshake:), or not to flash 'em ([-X :bootyshake: [-X) is really the only question. :rr:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

"Wanna borrow my Underwater Lazerpointer? he,he,he,he!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hood Canal was crawling with dog fish. :supz:

GD saw a six gill at the I-beams I beleive.

Haven't heard of any other sightings.

Perhaps posting a thread with that question? ...i.e. "where have you seen sharks?"
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Yes, I think I-Beams and Olive's Den in Cove 2 are best chances. Want to take a picture, but don't want to tick them off. I know GD took video, but is that because a flash is a bad idea or what?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I get off at 6pm and will be there by 7pm
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

But will you be diving? :smt064 [lol]
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I think the video only is sometimes because the encounter happens so quickly that it's easy to get only portions of the shark as it goes by.

I know the dog fish were mainly on a night dive, and VERY mobile... i.e. NOT wanting to sit around and pose for a picture, ESPECIALLY with Bassman taunting them with his lazer pointer! :axe:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Diver_C wrote:Yes, I think I-Beams and Olive's Den in Cove 2 are best chances. Want to take a picture, but don't want to tick them off. I know GD took video, but is that because a flash is a bad idea or what?
No ... it's because I had the wrong camera for still photography in dark, murky waters.

He didn't seem to mind our two large HID lights .... just don't shine it in their eyes (most critters don't like that) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
epuffy
Just Settling In

Post by epuffy »

I want to come tomorrow.. am I invited too?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sure, epuffy, come on down and splash w/ us. I'll be there by 6-6:15.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

i want to go but i have to work until 630 pm, so if you want to wait for me i can be there by 715 but if not i will catch you all later.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Do the second dive with us Cuppie \:D/
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

GD thanks for the info on the flash. Not sure how I can avoid not flashing in a shark's eye since they're so big, right on the side of their head, and always appear to be looking at you. :bootyshake:

Cuppie - you must be some sort of wild and crazy driver to be able to drive from Monroe to West Seattle in only 45 minutes. :prayer: You will make it in plenty of time for at least the second dive.

I will start dressing now, so it won't take me so long to get ready. I should be there around 6. Hopefully, better parking this week.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

She is a wild and crazy diver and driver. I will be there as soon as I can.

Calvin could you bring me a tank? Just one. i have two one for cuppie one for me, but I might be able to make the first dive with you guys.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Yeah I think i will plan on being there for a 730 splash time, that will give me a bit more time to get there, and yes it does only take me about 45mins to get from motown to seatown!!! I will see you all tomorrow night!!!
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Im not so wild and crazy but more of a speedy driver!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'll bring you a tank Maverick, I have an extra bertha... oh wait, why don't I grab Doug's since he never uses it! :axe:
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Thanks for the dives y'all. Great dives and company as always. Until next time.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I love wednesday night dives, we saw a huge octo again. See you all mext week
:bootyshake:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Diving......good.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
epuffy
Just Settling In

Post by epuffy »

Thanks for letting me tag along guys... I had some buoyancy probs due to the different rental gear this time... i'll try not to kick up so much sand next time :salute:

It's mighty cold at 80 feet, I can't imagine what it'll be like at 120.... I think me needs a dry suit!
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

A confluence if great weather, work & travel schedules, and the wonder of teh intrawebs assembled a large team of divers for a run down to the I-Beams. About six members of the Northwest Dive Club, plus some newbies, and a few shore-bound assistants gathered at 6pm.

We were geared up and ready to go by 7pm and split into various teams based on skill level and preparation. Rich and I headed down to the I-Beams. In the past, I've had issues with finding the red/white can bouy mooring on the way back up from the depths, so this time I ran a line from finger-spool from the chain attached to the bouy down to the thick rope leading to the I-Beams.

Visibility was outstanding - easily 30 feet or more. There was a thin layer of sea debris at the surface, but the vis opened up within 10 feet, and got better the deeper we dove. The termocline was at 65fsw.

Within 5 minutes we were on the I-Beams. For the first time ever I could see much of the structure, which before I've only been able to glimpse in the circle of light from our HiDs. Ambient light was more than enough to get a good look around. We went into "shark mode", helicoptering in place to see if we could find any sixgillish visitors; unfortunately to no avail. I turned turtle and looked for the surface. I could not see wave action but could see the glow of the sunlight some 90fsw above us.

We turned NW and headed along the line to the logs known as Olive's Den. I've never been to this area of the site before, so this was all new territory to me. I hit my deepest depth ever at 112fsw. We hit the turn point by gas and headed back to the I-Beams, thence up the line to my spool, which we retrieved, and then made a slow, controlled ascent up the chain to the can buoy. Total run time was 37 minutes.

Dive two we decided to run the boundary line from Cove 2 to Cove 3. Some recent events along this route remind us that even in the calm waters of Seacrest park, attention must be paid to detail, planning, and execution.

After a decent surface interval, we were back in the water around 9pm. As we swam for our descent point, the sun set behind the ridge, and the area started to get dark quickly.

We found the boundary line markers, did our routine bubble and gas checks, got aligned, and headed down the slope. Most of the route is just muddy bottom without many features, but a lot of life has aggregated on the boundary line itself, as well as several large logs we encountered around 90fsw.

At max depth (103fsw) we ran into a swarm of HUGE shrimp - easily the largest I've yet seen in the PNW. Each was about the size of my hand. The red glow of their eyes gleamed back at us all along the route. We also saw a number of vermillion rockfish, and several large crabs out hunting for dinner. After crossing the midpoint of the dive, we ascended into slowly Cove 3. At about 45fsw we encountered a tiny red octopus huddled on top of a mass of kelp. Its been a long time since I've been this deep in Cove 3; the site of my OW and AOW classes. We found the pair of twin tanks with the odd cross near the boundary line, at which point we started to move west away from the line to clear the rocks near the shore, until we reached the cobblestone beach. 40 minutes after we entered the water, we climbed up out of the surf to start the walk back to the parking area.

Ryan
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Great review! I've done most of my dives thus far at Cove 2, and I'm excited to complete AOW and get to the I-beams that everyone talks about. I've read so many reviews and studied the map so much that I almost feel like I've been there. I haven't heard of the twin tanks and "odd cross" on the boundary line... was that placed as a memorial of recent events?

Thanks for the review - the shrimp and baby octo sound great!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!